Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I boycott streaming including streaming only offers for 3 main reasons:
- technical quality inferior to discs
- no ownership, no long time control over availability, one is at the mercy of the provider, the net, the offering company, the copyright holder, even the regime in totalitarian countries
- no privacy, big brother knows what you watch and when
Good for you, we're so happy to know that.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Carnival Row is lavishly produced, and must be one of the more expensive television shows today, with production values similar to a movie.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
- no ownership, no long time control over availability, one is at the mercy of the provider, the net, the offering company, the copyright holder, even the regime in totalitarian countries

Some of these 4k shows look better than any Blu-ray on the market.

Boycotting streaming at this point is just cutting off your nose to spite your own face. All you are doing is denying yourself some excellent entertainment distributed in a convenient method. The subscription services are no different than having a network subscription via cable or satellite TV. I guess you never have watched anything via those services, either.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Boycotting streaming at this point is just cutting off your nose to spite your own face. All you are doing is denying yourself some excellent entertainment distributed in a convenient method. The subscription services are no different than having a network subscription via cable or satellite TV. I guess you never have watched anything via those services, either.
Correct. I have no lack of quality material to lock at with discs only. No interest in TV or streaming variants. The disc backlog lasts for several years of viewing pleasure, at least. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's not worth it. It's best to let people with such logic alone with their set ways. Whether it's the disc only crowd or those that espouse streaming only.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Streaming of The Crown is also a treat. Maisel was a one trick pony for me and I stopped after 2 episodes. Looking forward to The Dark Crystal series though which supposedly looks and is amazing per the reviews.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh brother. :rolleyes:

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
It's not worth it. It's best to let people with such logic alone with their set ways. Whether it's the disc only crowd or those that espouse streaming only.
My reasons for not using streaming are very solid. On the other hand if someone is happy with the quality of streaming, the lack of real control over the material and the lack of privacy and the (potential) budget friendlyness they have their solid reasons to stream. I could not care less except for the unpleasant effect that the more people stream, and especially stream only, the worse the choice will get on disc limiting my freedom to watch things as I prefer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My reasons for not using streaming are very solid. On the other hand if someone is happy with the quality of streaming, the lack of real control over the material and the lack of privacy and the (potential) budget friendlyness they have their solid reasons to stream. I could not care less except for the unpleasant effect that the more people stream, and especially stream only, the worse the choice will get on disc limiting my freedom to watch things as I prefer.
I never said otherwise. We all make personal decisions based on our own reasons and your prior post made that abundantly clear that you were steadfast in that decision.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My paternal grandfather, who was born around the turn of the century, could and would give a litany of reasons why he refused to have mail delivered to his house. He was convinced that home mail delivery was a government plot to control the populace. He insisted on having a PO box to the day he died.

I have no idea why that memory came back to me at this specific moment.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Finished Ep 6 of this show today. Really great in all respects, design, sound, acting, writing.

I’ve been streaming Amazon through my Sony Blu-ray player but Amazon notified me they will discontinue supporting the device 9/26. But I discovered my cable TV provider, Cox Comm, carries Amazon Prime though the cable box. I have to say the Stream-O-Vision through them is outstanding. Excellent PQ. I don’t have a 4K set but I suspect the originating file resolution is 4K.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
So, I got caught up in Season One, and then the pandemic hit...now 3 years later, Prime has a space for season two with nothing on it? This is what I found -
Though the return of Carnival Row has long been in the making, the highly-anticipated series will finally arrive quite soon. The series looks to return to Prime Video early next year, with a premiere set for February 17, 2023. The first two episodes will debut together, followed by weekly installments every Friday until the series finale on March 17, which will include two episodes once again.

Carnival Row season 2 looks to include most of the main cast from the first season, with Delevigne (Paper Towns) and Bloom (The Lord of the Rings) starring alongside Tamzin Merchant (The Tudors), David Gyasi (Cloud Atlas), Simon McBurney (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), Karla Crome (Misfits), Andrew Gover (Black Mirror), Caroline Ford (Once Upon a Time), and Jamie Harris (The Prestige). Carnival Row is a co-production between Amazon Studios and Legendary Television, with Erik Oleson serving as showrunner and an executive producer.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I jumped on to Priime and it looks like the new season of Carnival Row is up and running...I was able to view 3 of the new episodes and look forward to getting back into the fray.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The announcement of S2 prompted us to watch S1. My wife enjoys this style of show, I'm indifferent. The picture quality was top notch. We're three episodes in, I asked my wife which cable channel produced the show because it looks like they spent $100 million on it. Turns out it's a Prime Original and S1 cost $60 million. Wow, we'd better continue watching it to get our moneys worth!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The announcement of S2 prompted us to watch S1. My wife enjoys this style of show, I'm indifferent. The picture quality was top notch. We're three episodes in, I asked my wife which cable channel produced the show because it looks like they spent $100 million on it. Turns out it's a Prime Original and S1 cost $60 million. Wow, we'd better continue watching it to get our moneys worth!
kind of fairy tales for groups, LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks