What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Unbelievable - in Stream-o-Vision (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
After screening Downton Abbey in the afternoon, I switched over to streaming yesterday, after reading an extremely positive notice about Netflix's Unbelievable, a new 8-part 4k series.

I was immediately struck by the young lead actress in the first episode, who was doing superb work, and thinking that I knew her from somewhere.

Seems that young Kaitlyn Dever (she's only 22), was one of the leads in Booksmart.

My take.

She's no one trick pony.

She's a very talented young lady.

As to the series, I ended up viewing all episodes at a single stretch. It's that good.

The series leaves you wondering where things might be going, until probably the third episode, at which point it's akin to a book which one cannot put down.

The series as streamed, is fine for quality. It's 4k, HDR, and at my current 900 mbs+ download speed, there were zero problems.

I'm finally seeing streaming as a positive alternative to physical media, with a single caveat, and I believe Mr. Hafner brought it up on the Carnival Row thread.

That being, one doesn't own it, by license or otherwise, and it can be removed from a platform without notice.

Other than that, I have no problems, especially viewing on a SONY OLED panel.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – What DVD?

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No offense to anyone, but I'm at a loss as to why Mr. Harris' two commentary threads on content without a physical disc release, available only via streaming services, are being posted here. The Blu-ray and UHD Forum has traditionally been for the discussion of disc releases, which I would assume is why the Streaming Media Forum was created. IMO the lines are being blurred here, but what do I know. ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No offense to anyone, but I'm at a loss as to why Mr. Harris' two commentary threads on content without a physical disc release, available only via streaming services, are being posted here. The Blu-ray and UHD Forum has traditionally been for the discussion of disc releases, which I would assume is why the Streaming Media Forum was created. IMO the lines are being blurred here, but what do I know. ;)

My presumption is that the majority of my readers are here, and the lines between physical media and quality streaming are quickly blending.

I feel that the words will cover both functions.

And if we’re lucky, we may and up with 4k discs for the top series, although if one were seek out Roma...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Fair enough, although I think your readers will find your posts wherever they may be on HTF.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I'm finally seeing streaming as a positive alternative to physical media, with a single caveat, and I believe Mr. Hafner brought it up on the Carnival Row thread.

That being, one doesn't own it, by license or otherwise, and it can be removed from a platform without notice.
Without rehashing what's been said ad nauseam in other threads, the only thing I'll say is that in this case we are talking about a subscription service which has nothing to do with ownership. Subscription services are rental platforms and you also lose access when you cancel your subscription. People too often conflate subscription services with digital ownership.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Without rehashing what's been said ad nauseam in other threads, the only thing I'll say is that in this case we are talking about a subscription service which has nothing to do with ownership. Subscription services are rental platforms and you also lose access when you cancel your subscription. People too often conflate subscription services with digital ownership.

Agreed

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And speaking of streaming, today's Wall Street Journal has a front page story concerning Apple's plans of entering the theatrical distribution market, in order to showcase selected feature films prior to their becoming available for the airwaves. The story also speaks of Apple's direct competition with Netflix on these matters, as well. A worthy read, for those who have been observing this latest movement towards how we are able to access what we view.

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I binged this yesterday. I agree it is incredible. The first episode is very hard to watch but the series builds to a well-earned payoff.

Reactions: PMF

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks

True, but there are movies that one knows they're only going to want to see once and I think streaming, especially a streaming subscription, where there's no incremental cost to watch another film, is better for those kinds of films. Purchasing an online movie that doesn't get downloaded to your local system is another matter, because there have already been instances of people losing access to films that they supposedly purchased to own when companies have lost their rights to those films. (I don't know how the companies can get away with that, but they do)

I used to buy a lot of Blu's, but I find that most just sit on my shelves, unwatched after the first or second viewing. So I haven't purchased much recently. (Also because I already own most of the classics that I want).

And we might not have much of a choice anyway. The physical business is slowly disappearing. It's already almost completely disappeared in the music business where physical media in North America now comprises only 9.2% of industry revenues (in spite of all the hype about vinyl). Physical media video sales in North America were almost $11 billion in 2009 and were just $4.1 billion in 2018. It looks like 2019 will come in at around $3.15 billion. It's becoming a niche. Doesn't mean it disappears, but it's no longer going to be a mass market and they'll be fewer releases, fewer restorations, fewer releases with extras or special packaging, etc. They'll be short runs of new hit films and that will pretty much be it. Maybe they'll be more licensing to companies like Criterion if the big studios don't want to bother anymore. Maybe.

IMO, AT&T (Warner) doesn't care about physical media. AT&T bought Warner to drive a streaming business and the streaming business is a strategy to obtain cell phone subscribers (watch them give away a year of streaming for new cell phone customers once it launches). I have a friend at Warner and layoffs are already happening. I have fears that AT&T will eventually kill cable TCM and the custom DVD business and simply make those films available for streaming, if at all.

Although Disney still cares somewhat about physical media, they bought Fox to have a library of films to support their streaming business. Amazon, Apple, Hulu and Netflix are strategically all about streaming. So as I said - we might not have a choice, but over time, the technical quality should continue to improve to where it gets pretty close to what a Blu is capable of. And if it doesn't, most people don't care anyway - after all this time Blu still only has a 32% unit share as compared to Blu + DVD and most people seem to think it's perfectly fine to watch movies on a 5" screen in 2-channel stereo. I'm not one of those people, but giant businesses don't care about niche customers.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
  • T hanks for posting your words about this series .. I'll search it out on Netflix tonight, and hope it's one of the limited range it offers to Australia.
  • And yes, I appreciate you posting it here as this forum is my 'one stop shop'.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
We recently watched Unbelievable on Netflix. My view is that it is a first class drama in every aspect. I would purchase if it is made available.
I really enjoyed and appreciated your comments Mr. Harris and hope that Stream O Vision becomes a regular feature.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I somehow missed this when it was first released in 2019 but the algorithm recently served it up in my wife’s suggested viewing and she liked it so she had me watch it.

I never saw Justified but I knew Kaitlyn as Tim Allen’s youngest daughter, Eve, from Last Man Standing.

I liked the series well enough but it got really long in the tooth and, IMHO, would have made a much better 2 hour movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks