What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Captain America: Civil War -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Marvel's latest super-hero bombardment of the screen, via Disney is a loud, and sometimes interesting, take on the control of hate. Story-wise, it's a bit of a mess.

What's interesting, and it's something that I've heard from many, many people, is that the people of a certain nation, which I cannot mention, not only love this film, but have grasped its storyline as their own, seeing as how they have apparently inserted themselves into the American political apparatus.

Without getting into the campaign itself, which is verboten here, it has been acknowledged by many people, that something is at play, or in Mr. Doyle's terms, the game is afoot.

What we're going to find very, very soon, is that come November, we will have no candidates, as forces have been put into place that will see the two in leading positions (I'll not mention them here) kill one another before election day.

This is something that we know will happen. It isn't opinion. And it's being controlled by dark forces within one of two foreign governments. I know which one, but am not at liberty to mention it. I can also tell you that no one on either side of the Second Amendment issue is involved in any way. That's not a factor here. It all apparently goes back to what was an ancient wound, left simmering for decades, now brought to the fore, and turned into uncontrollable hatred.

The film itself, is an occasionally confusing mash-up, placing every one of the Marvel characters on different sides, in a race against time, at the top of the world, to save the destiny of humanity. This includes a few characters that Mr. Lee had not yet created.

The disc does come with a program, which will help one identify the different super-heroes.

Another thing that we're seeing in Civil War, is the continued breakdown of the American studio system, via the loss of control for American actors.

While I can understand Sebastian Stan as Bucky, (there's something Eastern European going on there) what is the need to import Tom Holland from the UK to do a Queens, NY accent, when we have a several good domestic actors, perfectly capable of playing Peter Parker. Whatever happened to Tobey Maguire? Or Daniel Radcliffe, who wouldn't have to work on the fake NY accent.

Strangely, Disney's new offering comes with a 3D disc, which for 3D fans should be nirvana.

The film was shot primarily with and Alexa 65 and Panavision optics, taken through post to a 4k DI.

Audio, in DTS-HD MA is room-filling, while the original mix was Dolby Atmos.

Since Disney has apparently not yet signed on for 4k UHD, one must presume that this will be a no-show in that format, which is a pity.

The industry hasn't yet figured out what to do with 4k.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
What we're going to find very, very soon, is that come November, we will have no candidates, as forces have been put into place that will see the two in leading positions...

This is something that we know will happen. It isn't opinion. And it's being controlled by dark forces within one of two foreign governments. I know which one, but am not at liberty to mention it.

Don't overlook the fact that the Chicago Cubs are clearly being positioned to finally win a championship right around the same week as the election. Might that be the event that pushes us over the edge?

To be fair, we have been given ample warning. Captain America and Iron Man are at war. Ditto Batman and Superman.

I disagree with you on Daniel Radcliffe as Spiderman, though. His Canadian accent would have slipped through. Best let a Brit handle the role.

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
RAH, I think it's become clear that Disney's divisions are not beholden to Disney itself on the 3D front. Pixar and Marvel (and soon Lucasfilm) release material on 3D BD with a fair amount of regularity, though I am curious if Zootopia's 3D sales will have any bearing on future 3D output from Disney, at least on the animated front..

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So, you're one of them...
His CODENAME: Tony Stank ;)

As for Mr. Holland whilst the lad has seen 20 summers he still looks & sounds like the 16 year-old he is supposed to be ... Also, the interiors were shot at Pinewood which (upon last check) is in Merry Ole ... I'm sure his Uber ride to the audition was prolly shorter than someone from Queens ... I'm sure Marisa Tomei could help the Yoot with his dialect if need be ;)

I wits they had shot your version of the plot as it would have been a better film ...:cool:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Not buying it. Refuse to until we get a definite "no" from Disney regarding UHD BD.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched it this weekend, projected on a 108" screen, and I thought the blu-ray looked wonderful. Really a beautiful job, IMO.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
What does it mean for a movie like this to have a 4K DI? There are digital effects in practically every shot, including things you wouldn't think (every single shot of Black Panther is CGI, for example). If the effects shots are 2K upscales, that leaves only a very small percentage of the movie that is actually straight through at 4K. Claiming that the airport scene was "shot in IMAX" seems somewhat disingenuous as well, considering the airport didn't actually exist. The whole environment was digital. They may have used an IMAX camera to shoot some people against a blue screen, but I'm really not sure how much difference that could possibly have made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks