What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Brubaker -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Stuart Rosenberg's Brubaker is a superb prison drama.  Produced two years before The Verdict, and released concurrent on Blu-ray, one might presume that it has the same lack of visual alacrity as it's release-mate.

Negative.

This film, with Robert Redford in the lead, and concerning prison reform in Arkansas, looks terrific.

Superb resolution and grain structure.  Beautifully textured colors and an overall stable image.

I'd almost trade some of the quality here to bring a bit back to The Verdict.

A quality film, and a Blu-ray of equal quality, with a high quality cinema-like image.

Recommended.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
My copy should be arriving today. Good news to get the :thumbsup: from Mr. Harris.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Again, I must completely disagree with the rating - I give it six stars :) This is one seriously great transfer, a poster child for films of this era. Then you look at The Verdict and you just scratch your addled pate.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So...uhm....Just finished watching Brubaker for the first time anywhere.Never seen the movie, and I had no idea what the story was about.I am about 30 minutes into the film, right as Brubaker is meetinga crazy Morgan Freeman. For some reason, I suddenly think toto myself, "I wonder if this is based on a true story?"
So, at that moment, I make the mistake of picking up the Blu-raybox and reading the description on the back of it. My main reasonfor doing it was to get an answer to my question.Well, I got too much answer to my question. The biggest plot twistthat was about to happen onscreen no more than 5 minutes later,is suddenly revealed to me by reading the back of the Blu-ray box.Did it ruin the film for me? Not really, but I would rather haveenjoyed the turn in the film without seeing it coming.In any event....Really liked Brubaker. Anything Robert Redford stars in is guaranteedto be entertaining so I had no problem picking this up blindly. So happyto see Yaphet Kotto as a lead here, as well as a minor role with M. EmmetWalsh (such a recognizable and enjoyable character actor)As I am watching this film, I couldn't help but realize how miraculouslywonderful the transfer looked. Everyone knows films from this era don'ttranslate well to Blu-ray unless some work is done on them. I am no experton exactly how much work goes into a film like Brubaker, but one wouldnot normally expect it to look as amazing as it does.There was definitely some love shown for this film. Thank you, Fox.Glad I picked it up. Now on to The Verdict, which I have never seen, either.
This time I won't read the back of the Blu-ray box.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I remember hearing Robert Duvall being interviewed on radio many years ago and tongue-in-cheek complaining about Redford always having the same hairstyle in every movie no matter when or where the story took place. He said finally in BRUBAKER Redford was going to have to change his hairstyle because the story dictated that he get a haircut. Well, I won't give it away to anyone who hasn't the seen the movie, but let's just say that Duvall laughingly admitted he was mistaken. I had never noticed this about Redford, but when HAVANA came out and his hairstyle was different and he pretty much showed his true age for the first time, I remember thinking, I hope Duvall is happy!

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
If we're talking wish lists, of films from that era, I want to see Charley Varrick on BR; they put it out on DVD a few years back in a butchered aspect ratio. Saw it at the flicks when it came out and just loved it, have been waiting for a re-visit ever since.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ronald Epstein said:
So...uhm....Just finished watching Brubaker for the first time anywhere.Never seen the movie, and I had no idea what the story was about.I am about 30 minutes into the film, right as Brubaker is meetinga crazy Morgan Freeman. For some reason, I suddenly think toto myself, "I wonder if this is based on a true story?"
So, at that moment, I make the mistake of picking up the Blu-raybox and reading the description on the back of it. My main reasonfor doing it was to get an answer to my question.Well, I got too much answer to my question. The biggest plot twistthat was about to happen onscreen no more than 5 minutes later,is suddenly revealed to me by reading the back of the Blu-ray box.Did it ruin the film for me? Not really, but I would rather haveenjoyed the turn in the film without seeing it coming.In any event....Really liked Brubaker. Anything Robert Redford stars in is guaranteedto be entertaining so I had no problem picking this up blindly. So happyto see Yaphet Kotto as a lead here, as well as a minor role with M. EmmetWalsh (such a recognizable and enjoyable character actor)As I am watching this film, I couldn't help but realize how miraculouslywonderful the transfer looked. Everyone knows films from this era don'ttranslate well to Blu-ray unless some work is done on them. I am no experton exactly how much work goes into a film like Brubaker, but one wouldnot normally expect it to look as amazing as it does.There was definitely some love shown for this film. Thank you, Fox.Glad I picked it up. Now on to The Verdict, which I have never seen, either.
This time I won't read the back of the Blu-ray box.
Haven't read the cover, but I assume the movie is loosely based on the Cummins Prison, which Bobby Darin also referrenced in his hit song, Long Line Rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks