What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Big Fish -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Normally, when I examine the packaging of a new release, I find humor in the fact that unknown journalists, writing for unknown publications (The Horse's Breath Montana Daily Tribune), receive big print as their exuberant quotes regale the quality of a film.

With this one, not so much, as I totally agree.

"**** 'Big Fish' is Tim Burton's Masterpiece." - Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Daily News

I whole-heartedly agree.

And I couldn't be more pleased that Columbia has selected it for 4k treatment, along with a Dolby Atmos upgrade.

I'll say nothing about content, as that should be left to the pleasure of new viewers.

As to quality, color, densities, grain structure, black levels and audio are all perfect.

There's always a bit of jealousy that I feel when I know that people might be experiencing a film for the first time, and this is one of them.

For those affected, please go in without reading reviews. Just view it cold.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't consider myself a fan of Tim Burton, but this is his one film that I'm happy to have in my collection (well, one of his two films, 'cause...A Nightmare Before Christmas...)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
(well, one of his two films, 'cause...A Nightmare Before Christmas...)

Despite Burton's name being in the marketing, Henry Selick is the sole director of The Nightmare Before Christmas. Burton was too busy directing Batman Returns to make both himself.

That being said, I agree with Robert about the quality of Big Fish which is my favorite Burton film. Although I am not 4K equipped right now, I was happy to buy this because Sony went the extra mile in authoring a new Blu-ray disc as well with a new transfer and restoring extras which haven't been available since the DVD. So this is an upgrade I can use even without having the capabilities needed for the 4K disc.

Incidentally, Burton seems to have success with Big titled films because he also did really well with underseen Big Eyes.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watched this yesterday on 4k for the first time since its initial release on Blu-ray. So, it has been such a long time that the film seemed very fresh to me.

What a wonderful, magical and mesmerizing film. This is possibly Tim Burton's best film as the story suits his unique filmmaking style perfectly.

I was such a huge Burton fan until PLANET OF THE APES. BIG FISH was his big comeback from that disaster and then he slid back into unfavorability with CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.

But getting back to BIG FISH...

The 4k transfer is outstanding. Even more impressive is the Dolby Atmos mix. When Edward Bloom first approaches the Giant's cave, you can hear the booming voice coming over the overhead speakers. It's pretty damn amazing and I scanned back to hear it again.

Sony does such a great job with their 4k discs and BIG FISH is another shining example of just how amazing 4k can look and Atmos can sound.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m a little ashamed to say I haven’t seen this. It’s on the short list of Burton directed films I’ve never seen, but I’ll gladly buy it blind. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it for all these years.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’m a little ashamed to say I haven’t seen this. It’s on the short list of Burton directed films I’ve never seen, but I’ll gladly buy it blind.

It is also currently streaming in HD on HBO Max if you have that and would like to watch it. I don't know if that's the new transfer or not though. I assume it's not, and it is only showing in HD there.

I was such a huge Burton fan until PLANET OF THE APES. BIG FISH was his big comeback from that disaster and then he slid back into unfavorability with CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.

Like many talented directors, Burton has some good films and some bad ones. I find that when he is good, he's REALLY good. There aren't many Burton films that I think are just okay. This film is one of the really good ones.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Planet of the Apes is the ONLY Burton film I dislike. Not to say his filmography is perfect otherwise, but even his lesser liked ones have enough going for them for me to “like” them (Charlie, Alice, Peregrine, to name a few).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I screened the 4K UHD last night and man, it looks incredible and sounds tremendous! Sony did a fantastic job on this release.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will get this, but for crying out loud can we get a 4K of 'Ed Wood'? I think it is the best film of his. Edward Scissorhands would be great too.

EDIT: Should have read more posts on this thread before writing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I will get this, but for crying out loud can we get a 4K of 'Ed Wood'? I think it is the best film of his. Edward Scissorhands would be great too.

I would think the biggest roadblock to that ever happening is that this is essentially a Disney-owned property. Probably the worst studio if you are expecting a substantial amount of catalog release out of anyone.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
"Scrooooooge!"
1621572012521.png
:D!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Planet of the Apes is the ONLY Burton film I dislike. Not to say his filmography is perfect otherwise, but even his lesser liked ones have enough going for them for me to “like” them (Charlie, Alice, Peregrine, to name a few).
Even Dark Shadows is better than POTA. I feel like POTA was one of Burton's "one for them" films.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Blind buy. Knew nothing about the film. Frankly, I don't think I'd even heard of it.

Looks and sounds terrific in 4K HDR on my 120" screen. Atmos is incredible!

RAH is correct. This is a film that works best when you enter cold. So I'll not say another word about the plot, cast, or anything other than this: Buy it! You won't be sorry.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Blind buy. Knew nothing about the film. Frankly, I don't think I'd even heard of it.

Looks and sounds terrific in 4K HDR on my 120" screen. Atmos is incredible!

RAH is correct. This is a film that works best when you enter cold. So I'll not say another word about the plot, cast, or anything other than this: Buy it! You won't be sorry.

Glad to read you enjoyed it, Reed. It's really a "magical" story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks