What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
Real Name
steven alejandro
They’re his films!
They're also the films of the DP and Editor and Sound Editor Set Designer and Location Scout and Scriptwriters and the Actors and the producers and and and... Lucas didn't do everything on the Set and he didn't pay for every single thing out of his own pocket. He may own the film but he doesn't own the art. Every person who contributed (and yes they were paid for their labors) has an investment and part ownership of that film. And I can't imagine the DP and Sound Editor seeing and hearing their work...all I can come up with is...get bitch slapped by George Lucas

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They're also the films of the DP and Editor and Sound Editor Set Designer and Location Scout and Scriptwriters and the Actors and the producers and and and... Lucas didn't do everything on the Set and he didn't pay for every single thing out of his own pocket. He may own the film but he doesn't own the art. Every person who contributed (and yes they were paid for their labors) has an investment and part ownership of that film. And I can't imagine the DP and Sound Editor seeing and hearing their work be...all I can come up with is... bitch slapped by George Lucas
All that might be true, but he along with Universal still owns the film and there is nothing any of us can do to change that reality.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Best Ever:

I’ve learned so much about film stocks from this piece. I never knew that Kodak actually made 2-perf stock, 3-perf stock, and 4-perf stock.

No mention of 8-perf.

Did you know that The Godfather was shot on this cheap 2-perf stock?

Dirty Harry?

A Master’s Class in film production!

But, I ask you, what about Hillary’s emails? What about the JFK assassination? Where is Jimmy Hoffa? And how did they make King Kong look that big?

I’m going to spend this entire weekend re-writing all of my 2-perf reviews, as I know FINALLY understand!

And to be clear, this isn’t just some bumbling YouTuber explaining things. We get actual words and, what’s it called? An opinion from a DP, which is a Director Phantom.

Yup! American Graffiti is a perfect, reference quality release.

Ya just gotta understand the tech!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Watched both YouTube videos that RAH references in his posts

I was initially against upgrading my Blu-ray to 4k, but now understanding the circumstances in which the movie was filmed (including film stock used) and seeing the side-by-side comparisons, it looks like the 4k is an improvement.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I was initially against upgrading my Blu-ray to 4k, but now understanding the circumstances in which the movie was filmed (including film stock used) and seeing the side-by-side comparisons, it looks like the 4k is an improvement.
There’s only one problem. And I’ll say it nicely. The second video is - I believe - I think - I hope - a satire, as nothing is real.

I stand by my opinions.

1. This is a perfect disc as it represents the desires of the filmmakers.

2. As I don’t agree with the filmmaker’s position - although he/they have the right to create what they wish, as it’s their film - I find it to be an interesting travesty, and only recommend it for fanboys/girls. For anyone who appreciates film as an art form, steer clear.

That said, this is not on the level of earlier uber-travesties - Patton, In Harm’s Way, Gangs of New York.

Also, there is no such thing as Kodak 2-perf film stock.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The dude gotcha, didn’t he? Wanna buy some land in Florida? A good, slightly used bridge?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The dude gotcha, didn’t he? Wanna buy some land in Florida? A good, slightly used bridge?

Was it satire? Was I really taken? Completely went over my head.

It made sense about the film stock and the imperfections amplified through the improved resolution of 4k.

Then, showing the 4k and BD side-by-side, the 4k looked better.

EDIT: I know nothing about film stock so I could easily be duped on that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Was it satire? Was I really taken? Completely went over my head.

It made sense about the film stock and the imperfections amplified through the improved resolution of 4k.

Then, showing the 4k and BD side-by-side, the 4k looked better.

EDIT: I know nothing about film stock so I could easily be duped on that.
Always happy to give a Master’s Class.

But here’s the takeaway.

Film stock is film stock is film stock. For features it’s generally 35mm wide, 1000 feet long, and has little holes on both sides.

In 1973, there was only 5254, and virtually every domestic color film was shot on it.

Grain was affected by exposure and processing, but it was what it was. So, yes, I’m hopeful that the gentleman in the video was satirizing on line reviews, as virtually nothing that he or his cinematographer friend (ever have an imaginary friend as a child?) are telling us, is real.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Absolutely not satire. This man meant everything he said.

Well, I am confused and at this point, wish I hadn't said anything.

For those of us who rely on YouTube videos like this to educate, if it was satire, it could easily be misconstrued by anyone. If it wasn't satire and everything was true, then I am more confused by the response I received.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, I am confused and at this point, wish I hadn't said anything.

For those of us who rely on YouTube videos like this to educate, if it was satire, it could easily be misconstrued by anyone. If it wasn't satire and everything was true, then I am more confused by the response I received.
I was truly hoping it was satire.

And if not, when we see an image on a 4k disc, are we not seeing the original negative?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks