What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 1900 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
92 inch ?? Get a smaller TV What BR looks good on a set so big?
I don't agree with you ,or Mr Harris ,this film has many things going for it ,and like most films its not perfect ,plus its over 5 hours,how
many films are that long?? the cast is fine ,and while some scenes seem to drag,they are few,The ending with the trial seems to go on too long
and Bertolluci admits he didn't have a ending
if you want to see this film on a large set,forget it and watch the 35mm,Because that looked perfect on a theater screen
How Does Reds look on that 92inch set?? Well this film looked better than Reds ,But Reds was given a top transfer

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Peter Neski said:
92 inch ?? Get a small Wlooks good on a set so big?
I don't agree with you ,or Mr Harris ,this film has many things going for it ,and like most films its not perfect ,plus its over 5 hours,how
many films are that long?? the cast is fine ,and while some scenes seem to drag,they are few,The ending with the trial seems to go on too long
and Bertolluci admits he didn't have a ending
if you want to see this film on a large set,forget it and watch the 35mm,Because that looked perfect on a theater screen
How Does Reds look on that 92inch set?? Well this film looked better than Reds ,But Reds was given a top transfer
Yeah, everyone should throw their front projectors away. It's better to downgrade the hardware than upgrade the software.
That's the ticket.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What I want to know is why does Peter Neski always put a space before each comma ,instead of after? It bugs the hell of out me.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
because I am a hack at spelling and anything to do with my keyboard ,which doesn't work that well ,because its in another room from my computer tower.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"Yeah, everyone should throw their front projectors away. It's better to downgrade the hardware than upgrade the software"
No but ,you can't have everything you want,some transfers are all we ever get,and that no reason to give up on a film because it doesn't look
good on a large video screen

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Peter Neski /t/320782/a-few-words-about-1900-in-blu-ray/30#post_3929219
"Yeah, everyone should throw their front projectors away. It's better to downgrade the hardware than upgrade the software"
No but ,you can't have everything you want,some transfers are all we ever get,and that no reason to give up on a film because it doesn't look
good on a large video screen
Actually, there is another way to look at this.

If a new Blu-ray is not up to proper quality levels, it might be best to pass on it, not purchase, and make a statement.

At a certain point, publishers will begin to get the point.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neski /t/320782/a-few-words-about-1900-in-blu-ray/30#post_3929163
...How Does Reds look on that 92inch set?? Well this film looked better than Reds ,But Reds was given a top transfer

Reds looks very nice projected; quite a few Blu-rays do.

BTW, I also sampled 1900 on my Panny 42 in. plasma (THX setting, different room) - all the anomalies were still visible.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"If a new Blu-ray is not up to proper quality levels,it might be best to pass on it, not purchase, and make a statement."
Well that might work for something like "Out Of Africa" But like I said this is a film they took forever to even put on DVD'
This might be it for a Lifetime

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
It took some time, but a friend of mine was able to get me the Italian version of 1900 (or Novecento) and I was able to do an A/B comparison of the films. Nothing too scientific, but there are some slight differences in the two versions. I did see some of the same oddities that I saw in the DVD and US version on Blu-Ray (the frame kind of warbling in one scene), but who knows if these are two different prints/masters.
You can see the A/B comparison that I posted on my site: http://davidlean.com/1900/
I do kind of prefer the Italian version as it has a little more contrast but does appear to have a lot of compression, resulting in a smoother image. (I think--I'm no expert on this!)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by owen35 /t/320782/a-few-words-about-1900-in-blu-ray/30#post_3935450
It took some time, but a friend of mine was able to get me the Italian version of 1900 (or Novecento) and I was able to do an A/B comparison of the films. Nothing too scientific, but there are some slight differences in the two versions. I did see some of the same oddities that I saw in the DVD and US version on Blu-Ray (the frame kind of warbling in one scene), but who knows if these are two different prints/masters.
You can see the A/B comparison that I posted on my site: http://davidlean.com/1900/
I do kind of prefer the Italian version as it has a little more contrast but does appear to have a lot of compression, resulting in a smoother image. (I think--I'm no expert on this!)
Strange. What an un-DL-like film.

RAH

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Very true, but the page is hidden from the rest of the site. Perhaps I should move it to another location?

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The link to the screenshots has been moved to my personal website. You can now find them here: http://steveorgan.com/1900/

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Savant on 1900BR from TCM
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=489117&name=1900-Bernardo-Bertolucci-s-Novecentro-on-DVD-in-its-Original-2-Part-5-Hour-Version&banner=1

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Peter Neski said:
1900 is one of my favorite films. I've seen a number of versions in 35mm, and I also own the DVD. I must confess that I'm very disappointed with this Blu Ray, and I only have a 28 inch SONY flat screen TV! I saw all the floating particles Mr. Harris mentioned, which were also on the DVD, but less prominent. The colors also look weird to these eyes. Everything seems a little too orange, and the faces often have strange pigmentation. Also, from time to time when the camera pans, such as in the festival scene on the riverbank, or the funeral at the end of disc one, the colors briefly seem to bleed and smear. In the festival scene, its the green strips on the tree trunks that suddenly appear to float in air for a few seconds, and in the funeral scene, it's the red flags. In any case, this looks nothing like film, as there is a weird, processed, video shimmer throughout. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased to own this disc as an aide-memorie for one of my favorite films, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone. What makes 1900 work are the images, and if they aren't breathtakingly beautiful, which is certainly not the case here, than I don't think a first time viewer would get much out of this film. Still, because of the added resolution, even though defects are more prominent, I prefer this BD to the DVD.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
What I mean to say,is this film is clearly worth getting on Blue Ray,so 4K would be nice,but to say sometime like wait for better version,which might not come out in our lifetime
is silly to me.
To me this visuals are so far above the rest And you can get that from the Blue Ray The Color for the most part is beautiful and only in the couple
faded scenes ,is it wrong on this BR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sp2024
Recent bookmarks