What's new

A few words about... Ryan's Daughter (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
That would be SO WONDERFUL for RYANS DAUGHTER to come out on Blue Ray. It would be transfer of the year!!!

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
The only proper way to experience this masterwork is in 70mm projected onto a large screen. Be nice to own a copy on blu ray, but it still won't beat the cinema experience. This is what cinema is all about and Lean knew that.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Here's an idea to set teeth grinding and insults flying:

I submit that there's can be a difference between a good film and successful cinema.

I first saw RYAN'S DAUGHTER in 70mm at the now lost to digital IMAX Empire Leicester Square in London and found the images sensational, the experience marvellous, the script weak and the premise negligable. Since then I've seen the DVD on my 120cm screen and reached the same conclusion. In addition, I've read the recent book about the appalling indulgence of its making.

However, were there a chance to repeat that original experience I'd certainly go.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I love the film of Ryan’s Daughter despite some obvious shortcoming. On the 70mm screen it was a great cinematic experience. I have watched the DVD on my large screen a number of times over the years and would buy a Blu on Day 1 for the sheer pleasure of watching the images and the marvellous performance of John Mills.
The recent book made me yearn for a chance to see it projected in 70mm again, but unfortunately made me look less favourably on one of my favourite directors- David Lean.

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
Here's an idea to set teeth grinding and insults flying:

I submit that there's can be a difference between a good film and successful cinema.

I first saw RYAN'S DAUGHTER in 70mm at the now lost to digital IMAX Empire Leicester Square in London and found the images sensational, the experience marvellous, the script weak and the premise negligable. Since then I've seen the DVD on my 120cm screen and reached the same conclusion. In addition, I've read the recent book about the appalling indulgence of its making.

However, were there a chance to repeat that original experience I'd certainly go.
Oh, I agree somewhat and a correct presentation can enhance a cinema going experience. With RD with me though, I do love the film. Have seen twice at a cinema about 20yrs ago in 35mm, but that wasn't the same as the 70mm experience, but the film does captivate me. The secret for me lies within its truth of beauty, yet I can also understand those that are detractors. Lean was also wanting to tell his story visually.

I was only around 8 when I first saw it mid 70's and that it made an indelible impression at that young age, I have regarded it as something special. My older sister and her friend were bored. My parents loved it too. It was only by fluke we went, as re-release of Fiddler On The Roof was sold out. We missed the opening credits and first few minutes.

Lean apparently regretted not filming Doctor Zhivago in 70mm, which would have been a cost saving venture at the time, but since it was a smash hit it wouldn't have mattered in the end. I have seen Zhivago 3 times in 70mm at 2 different cinemas, yet I am not as sold on the film as Ryan's Daughter and it didn't look as pristine and more washed out being a blow up. There are some interesting parts though.

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
I saw RYAN"S DAUGHTER several times in San Diego where it played at a Cinerama theater in 70mm. It was a breathtaking memorable experience and has remained as one of the seminal moviegoing experiences in my life. The 1000 seat theater had many "sold out" performances and had a very successful "Reserved Seat Engagement."
I have just seen the new DVD and the transfer is phenomenal!
It is the best DVD transfer of a film I have ever seen.
Todays films are virtually all rapid fire editing and CGI for an audience with short attention spans.
How wonderful it was to watch "Ryans Daughter" again. I was enveloped and transported into another time and place allowing the film to unfold in its own unhurried pace. I felt richly rewarded.
David Lean was a master!
If there ever is another 70mm showing ......wherever it is....I'll be there.
I feel grateful to have the one experience of seeing this in 70mm when I was about 8yrs old. Have never forgotten it and it deserves to be revived and seen as it was meant to be on a 70mm screen presentation.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm glad this old thread got "bumped" because I don't think I've been aware of it before. (I'm one of those who believe Ryan's Daughter is a great masterpiece) I just read the entire thread and found it extremely interesting. What intrigues me is that several posts are obviously responding to previous posts which have gone missing: e.g. there's one from Robert Crawford with the bare declaration "not worth replying to" but we can't see which post was unworthy of a reply.

I have a backlog of discs to watch but as soon as I get through them, I going to re-watch my DVD of Ryan's Daughter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad this old thread got "bumped" because I don't think I've been aware of it before. (I'm one of those who believe Ryan's Daughter is a great masterpiece) I just read the entire thread and found it extremely interesting. What intrigues me is that several posts are obviously responding to previous posts which have gone missing: e.g. there's one from Robert Crawford with the bare declaration "not worth replying to" but we can't see which post was unworthy of a reply.

I have a backlog of discs to watch but as soon as I get through them, I going to re-watch my DVD of Ryan's Daughter.
How I don't even remember what my post was responding to as it was over 15 years ago. Furthermore, since then, the forum has undergone at least four software changes so if posts were deleted back then it's lost forever now.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I was ticked off it didn't play at one of the really great NY cinemas like the Criterion or the Rivoli. The Rivoli played both Zhivago and Lawrence in 70mm on their re-issue in the early 70s.
Now there isn't a NY theater that can do it justice.

Last edited:

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
The only proper way to experience this masterwork is in 70mm projected onto a large screen. Be nice to own a copy on blu ray, but it still won't beat the cinema experience. This is what cinema is all about and Lean knew that.
I originally saw the film in 35mm (shorn of its roadshow trappings), and later (with those trappings) on the 1991 laserdisc. About 5 years after the DVD was released, the American Film Institute's Silver Theater scheduled a 35mm showing, which I attended. But at that showing, they announced that they were unable to secure a print of the film, and instead they projected the DVD. Even on their 37' x 19' screen, the DVD projection looked tolerable--a testament, I suppose, to the quality of that transfer.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Does a screen exist anywhere today in the US or in London that can do a film like this justice? Certainly not in the NY tri-state area. Maybe in CA. If I were a billionaire I'd build a 1,000 seat 80ft width screen like the NY Warner Cinerama in northern Jersey. Didn't some billionaire keep the Seattle Cinerama open?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks