What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Wanderers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Phil Kaufman has directed twelve feature films, with subject matter across a wide spectrum. The Wanderers is pure New York. Everything about it just works, as 1963 is brought back to life.

Great casting, great music, great cars, great hair.

And a film that has become a cult classic.

Everyone has their favorites, and my top Kaufman, remains The Right Stuff, although I'm a huge fan of Body Snatchers, Unbearable Lightness, Henry & June, Rising Sun, and Quills. I'll watch anything that he's made, and be smiling as the end credits rise.

But I had never seen the preview cut of The Wanderers, derived from Mr. Kaufman's personal print, which had run at Tellruide.

Kino Lorber has released both cuts of the film. The preview is six minutes longer, and derived from the scan of a print, which is fine.

The theatrical cut looks and sounds terrific, and for those who have never experience the film, this is a great way to make its acquaintance. Although not being marketed as a special edition, it is.

Multiple cuts of the film (on separate discs), multiple live Q & A recordings, audio commentaries, with different extras on each disc.

At under $20 on Amazon, The Wanderers is a must own, and a superb addition to film libraries.

All this, and the diminutive Linda Manz (Days of Heaven) as Peewee.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-wanderers-comes-home-at-last

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
I have never watched this film, but I *have* received my new Blu-ray. Glad to hear it looks great. Just watched the TT issue of Peyton Place last night. Love late 50's through early 70's movies.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Glad to hear you've gotten so much out of this disc, Robert. This re-release has been a labor of love. Hopefully, we open a few more eyes up to this film, as it definitely seems to be either a "love it" or "never heard of it" proposition.

Blasst

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
My brothers and I watched this film, as teenagers, back in 1980 on cable many times. Just ordered it on Blu-ray the other day and will have it by Friday, and am looking forward to seeing it again. Glad that Kino Lorber has released it to enjoy once again.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
It is odd that Kino now has a film that was last released by WB. Questions then for RAH...Did the rights really revert back to the producers as Wikipedia is claiming? And is the film's copyright still with MGM/Orion?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It is odd that Kino now has a film that was last released by WB. Questions then for RAH...Did the rights really revert back to the producers as Wikipedia is claiming? And is the film's copyright still with MGM/Orion?

Best to check LoC files.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I saw "The Wanderers" in a theater when it first played in NYC -- and have loved it ever since. The disc(s) should be in my eager hands shortly -- and I am excited at the prospect of the preview cut. I also managed to track down a first edition of the novel autographed by the author, Richard Price, which is one of my prized possessions. Can't wait to see how this looks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks