A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Producers -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    Interesting subject the grading of images, whether it is relative to the source or absolute. I am an absolutist (sorry) and the best I have seen is the IMAX scenes in The Dark Knight/Rises so it is downhill from there. Incidentally, one of the very best quality transfers I have seen is the blu-ray of Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame (Cine Asia). Generally the very best images are obviously from the large format films.

Regarding Mel Brooks, he is a taste I have been unable to acquire!

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

It's a balancing act. I don't want to give something a really low grade if it's the best the movie can look, but I also don't feel comfortable giving something an "A" that looks ugly.

When I write my reviews, I just hope people read the discussion of the picture and sound and don't just look at the letter grades, as they don't tell the whole story...

3. Oblivion138

Oblivion138 Second Unit

James O'Blivion
    This has become fairly common practice with Shout's BD releases these days. Particularly with their Scream Factory releases, which tend to feature new art by Nathan Thomas Milliner on one side, and preserve the original poster art on the reverse. Very much appreciated.

4. Oblivion138

Oblivion138 Second Unit

James O'Blivion
    I love Brooks's early films, up to and including Silent Movie...with The Producers and Young Frankenstein being among the funniest films I've ever seen. High Anxiety and History of the World are moderately enjoyable. Spaceballs, insanely overrated. Life Stinks...well...stinks. Though not as much as Dracula: Dead and Loving It. Perfect opportunity to do a Young Frankenstein-style spoof, completely squandered. And sandwiched in between the latter two, Robin Hood: Men in Tights...eh, it's moderately enjoyable, if not to the extent of High Anxiety or History of the World.

So yeah, it's a lot of up and down. But for me, the gems are real knockouts.