What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Predator -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I feared that the new take on The Predator might not work out for me, but it did. Under the directorial hand of former wonderkind, Shane Black, it's an alternatively humorous, exciting ride.

Fox's new 4k, derived from 2k files works beautifully on all levels. Imagery is superb, while the audio, via Dolby Atmos, constantly fills one's theater.

Shot in Vancouver, BC, covering for somewhere else, as most films are.

Interestingly, without a post office error, there would be no film.

Those with a keen eye, and even a slight sense of film history, will take note of the Lawrence A. Gordon Middle School.

dd5b5d154fb8aae3-600x338.jpg

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Shane Black having some fun. I liked this film more than most people as I viewed it as an action/comedy with extreme violence.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I just watched THE PREDATOR in regular BD, upscaled to 4K. Don't know what I would have gained in UHD...I know, I know...HDR...

There ya go...is it worth the extra $5 for the Atmos? My Denon pushes everything to all the speakers. Does that mean that one of those specific sounds that comes out of one of those in-ceilig speakers is worth the extra $5???

My setup is a damn good one, could it be better, of course. Am I going to keep buying BDs...yes...

I thought that the movie was great! A perfect addition to my sci-fi/horror collection!!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just watched THE PREDATOR in regular BD, upscaled to 4K. Don't know what I would have gained in UHD...I know, I know...HDR...

There ya go...is it worth the extra $5 for the Atmos? My Denon pushes everything to all the speakers. Does that mean that one of those specific sounds that comes out of one of those in-ceilig speakers is worth the extra $5???

My setup is a damn good one, could it be better, of course. Am I going to keep buying BDs...yes...

I thought that the movie was great! A perfect addition to my sci-fi/horror collection!!!

I’d go Atmos before HDR.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Atmos and HDR

Each is absolutely worth the $5.

Both for $5 is a bargain!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Since the entire third act of this was completely reshot, I was hoping for some more in the way of deleted scenes on this.

But yeah, I still found it to be a lot of fun when I saw it a few months back in a Dolby Vision theater.

Re: the photo posted by Robert, what struck me is that a middle school (or any school, for that matter) would be so accepting of STDs. You'd think they'd want to help prevent those among their students ;)

Vincent

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Since the entire third act of this was completely reshot, I was hoping for some more in the way of deleted scenes on this.

But yeah, I still found it to be a lot of fun when I saw it a few months back in a Dolby Vision theater.

Re: the photo posted by Robert, what struck me is that a middle school (or any school, for that matter) would be so accepting of STDs. You'd think they'd want to help prevent those among their students ;)

Vincent

When considering studio interference, are there more problematic examples than this and Venom, for 2018?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched this, again in 4K. I’ve not watched it in HD so I can only say the 4k is terrific and the atmos very good. I expected to have to apologize for liking it so much, but I see I’m not alone.

I have a three critiques. 1) The “pussy” dialogue was supposed to be funny but came of as stilted and awkward. Perhaps cutting 10 seconds of it would have helped. 2) They acted like the earth dog was going to be part of the story, and then dropped him. I hate curve balls like that, comes across as lazy writing. 3) The alien dog, is knocked aside by the predator and I don’t know if he survived. Did he?

Yeah, I’m one of those “I don’t care who dies as long as the dog lives” people.

It’s a fun movie and I’d like to see a sequel to THIS film, but since it bombed, I guess not.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yes, absolutely Atmos over HDR for me, as any HDR has the side effect of making any dark scenes completely unwatchable on my projector, so much that I've had to disable HDR completely on my player to watch UHD discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks