What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Does the digital copy code include both versions or just the theatrical?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does the digital copy code include both versions or just the theatrical?
Right now, the digital code redeems only HD on Vudu with the theatrical cut and iTunes with the director's cut with no bonus material. IMO, Sony has been slow upgrading their digital streams with the latest transfers and such.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, MA has the director's cut in 4K and I think Fandangonow too has it in 4K, but I don't know what film version.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I love this movie and the music is one of my favorites of any music.
I generally don’t pay much attention to the score of a movie but this one is brilliant.
Every time I watch it feels like the first time I’ve watched it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I ordered this today and am really looking forward to seeing it again after many, many years!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I watched The Natural last night and wow, what a GREAT looking 4K UHD release! Black levels, grain structure, color pallette - amazing! And while the detail doesn't scream at you due to the properties of the original cinematography and the film stocks used, this is a really wonderful example of how 4K and HDR can be successfully used on an older movie to really make it shine. IMO The Natural is in many ways a reference 4K UHD release, and the Atmos audio is superbly done. A truly beautiful presentation of a wonderful film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My wife and I watched The Natural last night and wow, what a GREAT looking 4K UHD release! Black levels, grain structure, color pallette - amazing! And while the detail doesn't scream at you due to the properties of the original cinematography and the film stocks used, this is a really wonderful example of how 4K and HDR can be successfully used on an older movie to really make it shine. IMO The Natural is in many ways a reference 4K UHD release, and the Atmos audio is superbly done. A truly beautiful presentation of a wonderful film.
I watched the Director's Cut on 4K/UHD disc this evening. A great looking and sounding disc by Sony. As a baseball enthusiast, I've always appreciated this great baseball fantasy of a movie.
What was Hobbs doing with a wedding ring on his left hand when the doctor gave him that silver bullet they pumped out of his stomach?:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right now, the digital code redeems only HD on Vudu with the theatrical cut and iTunes with the director's cut with no bonus material. IMO, Sony has been slow upgrading their digital streams with the latest transfers and such.
Well there's some progress on the digital front with iTunes. The cut on iTunes has the director's cut run time, but if you play the movie, it's the 138 minute version (theatrical), but, it's at least in 4K/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos. I haven't tried Vudu yet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just uploaded(?) the code on MA and it gave me the theatrical 4K with DV and DA on ITunes and 4K only on MA.
Did not go over to Vudu for some reason.

On difference I noticed in the first 15 minutes or so is an edit that changes a lot of what comes after.
Now I’m only 15 minutes in so other things might be d Deferent due to this edit.
In the theatrical Roy is on a train alone reminiscing this is at the very beginning after we see him waiting for the train.
Then we get all the interactions with the Wammer and him meeting the lady in black.

In director cut the credits are over a black screen and it goes right to Roy as a boy practicing baseball with his dad catching pop ups in the grass.
Then it cuts to a seemingly older Roy going into his old house and reminiscing about his childhood while going into his old house.
We see Roy on the porch looking over at the Tree remembering about his father dying.
Then Roy goes in and finds Wonderboy.
He takes wonderboy and this is we’re we see the beginning of the theatrical with him waiting for the train.
Then he remembers his girlfriend. Finally he gets on the train but it’s young Roy again. Just on his way to The Cubs forma tryout.
He meats the Wammer in a shortened scene.
This is when we see another change in when this scene is happening as Max is reading a story about a football star being shot we see Roy alone again on a train with his hat reminiscing.
This is the scene that is in the very beginning of the Theatrical.
So in the dir cut he seems to be on a train remembering when he got shot and this scene is not in the same in theatrical cut.
Again here in sir cut they cut to old Roy remembering and his train is now stopping in iola.
This is when it cuts back to younger Roy about to have his little showdown with the Wammer.
After Harriet calls Roy priceLess he is on the train as older Roy again.
Remembering again.

This is when he goes to Harriets room and she shoots him.
In the theatrical this happens at the 20:25mark.
In the dir cut it’s at the about the 16:45 mark.

So the first part of the dir cut is tightened up but adds several shots of Roy on the train alone Rembering all the evemts that lead up to the moment he goes into the Knight’s stadium and tells Pops he’s the new right fielder.
The theatrical there is one scene at the beginning showing him remembering the events.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sony is screwing around with these 4K digital streams and they're pissing me off about buying more of their titles. I heard "Stand by Me" doesn't even have a digital code to redeem so now we have that title and this one that is not giving people that purchase digitally some of their 4K titles.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes an interestingly Close encounters gives all three versions in 4K. Another Sony title.

For what’s its worth one is a tristar Sony andvthe other is a Columbia Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks