What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Great Escape (Criterion) - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My heart sinks every time I hear another Stereo Track has been lost.
I'm just glad they were able to go back to original dialogue and stereo M+E and put something together. Better than some of the faux stereo soundtracks we've had in the past.

Reactions: PMF

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
This was apparently handled similarly to Arrow's Robocop Blu-ray. Same base 4K transfer as the MGM release, but the cleanup and color grading re-done from scratch.

I don't believe Arrow did any new cleanup or color grading on RoboCop. Their disc looks almost identical to the prior MGM copy with just a slight bump in overall brightness.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the (ok) blu ray last week. Given that i probably won't watch it again soon i don't need another upgrade. Obviously a different matter if it was a 4k disc.
Yeah, I kind of wish it was a 4K disc, but I'm watching the Criterion Blu-ray right now and it looks great. If I get time in the near future, I'll try to do some comparisons between it and the 2013 Blu-ray.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
“ to be honest not much difference between the two”...

Which is to be expected given Both came from the same multiple optical laden elements and both had 4k scans

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
“ to be honest not much difference between the two”...

Which is to be expected given Both came from the same multiple optical laden elements and both had 4k scans

Yet it's not the case. This one is a whole lot better, but if one can't see the differences, then stay with the old....

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I find the increased grain very distracting. Especially in outdoor scenes. Makes the image look unstable. Just my opinion.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
My limited recollections from seeing The Great Escape in 1963 in a theater was- it didn't particularly any good.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
I personally think it's a great looking disc/transfer. It's funny as most people (correctly) complain about discs/transfers with a lot of DNR and lack of grain, wanting a faithful representation, but then when they get a proper transfer, on some releases, such as this one, they don't like the grain.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Its funny how our views of things can change. I guess I'm not a big fan of grain anymore.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I find the increased grain very distracting. Especially in outdoor scenes. Makes the image look unstable. Just my opinion.

I wasn't aware of any increased grain, I just had another look & there is maybe a tiny bit, the picture is lighter, so you might notice it more, but that's a little bit of the picture blow up. I don't think that I'll notice any grain in normal viewing mode (unless I get up close to the screen & look for it). As I posted earlier on, the colour looks spot on to me. We've had a too cold Blu-ray & before that a too contrasty DVD & before that a flat non-anamorphic DVD. I just wish Criterion had released this in the UK, but I have a multi-region player now.

...& I'm not a fan of grain at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks