What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Great Escape (Criterion) - in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Old Bones

Agent
Real Name
William
Yes both the KL and Criterion covers are total BS. No Americans were in the camp when the escape took place , they were moved to another camp months before. As well the real "Tunnel King" Canadian Wally Floody was moved to another camp before as well.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes both the KL and Criterion covers are total BS. No Americans were in the camp when the escape took place , they were moved to another camp months before. As well the real "Tunnel King" Canadian Wally Floody was moved to another camp before as well.
Well they were still in the camp, but moved to a different compound. There was one American that escaped with them, but he was down as British, even though everyone knew he was American (his paperwork was changed to British after he was caught to keep him in the holding camp with the British). The film states at the start: This was exactly how it happened (well something like that, I can't be bothered to look it up), & of course nothing in the film is anything like how it happened (there was thick snow on the ground when they escaped for one thing). It's still one of my top ten favourite films (I can still remember seeing it in 1963 aged 12, Odeon Westbourne Grove, West London, a lovely cinema), if you want history, read a book (I can't think of a single historical film that's anything like accurate - when Spartacus did battle with Crassus...he won! And carried on winning, 'till he lost in the end, mind you, that was a very long time ago, & The Great Escape was made only 19 years after it happened).

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Don't get me wrong it's one of my favourate movies as well but it deserves a better cover.
I had the original non-anamorphic DVD (I'd think that was from the VHS master), then bought the remastered DVD (too much contrast), & then the MGM Blu-ray (too cold), then the Criterion Blu-ray, & then bought the Kino 4K, which I haven't watched yet. That's it, no more. :)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Makes no sense IMO to criticize the cover (which is merely the original movie poster artwork) over historical accuracy. It merely represents the film it is trying to advertise. If the film had historical inaccuracies, why would the poster/artwork be any different?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Makes no sense IMO to criticize the cover (which is merely the original movie poster artwork) over historical accuracy. It merely represents the film it is trying to advertise. If the film had historical inaccuracies, why would the poster/artwork be any different?
Having Steve McQueen and James Garner on the poster art was the right thing to do in order to sell the movie to the general public.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks