What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In her honor, I played tonight one of her lesser known early films My Dream Is Yours on DVD. She really showed her growing acting talent in this, and they gave her a sensational mix of novelty songs and ballads to show her great range as a vocalist in this. I had forgotten it was in color, too, which furthered my enjoyment since I wasn't expecting it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
In her honor, I played tonight one of her lesser known early films My Dream Is Yours on DVD. She really showed her growing acting talent in this, and they gave her a sensational mix of novelty songs and ballads to show her great range as a vocalist in this. I had forgotten it was in color, too, which furthered my enjoyment since I wasn't expecting it.

One of the films that Scorsese says he took inspiration from for New York, New York. A very enjoyable film. I like all of Doris’ films directed by Michael Curtiz.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred

I really enjoy that film as well; I think of it as Doris' version of "A Star is Born"---heh... It's high time we get some more of her Warner's musicals on blu-ray! I believe only "Calamity Jane" and "Young at Heart" are on blu at this time. Heck, she made 17 films in 7 years at Warners; there's a lot from which to choose, for new blu-ray releases. (Man, the studios just worked their stars to death in the old days, didn't they...)

As a tribute, I watched "Lullaby of Broadway" before turning in for the night. Not necessarily a great musical, but enjoyable to me. Always a pleasure to watch Gene Nelson dance---he was amazing. And this is one of the relatively few musicals Doris made that spotlights her dancing skills as well. She was a wonderful dancer, and I think they should have featured that more often.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As a tribute, I watched "Lullaby of Broadway" before turning in for the night. Not necessarily a great musical, but enjoyable to me. Always a pleasure to watch Gene Nelson dance---he was amazing. And this is one of the relatively few musicals Doris made that spotlights her dancing skills as well. She was a wonderful dancer, and I think they should have featured that more often.
Unquestionably her finest movie dancing. She does an electrifyingly fast dance up and down stairs with Gene Nelson and is just astonishing. In her autobiography, she said she never believed for a moment that she'd be able to do this number, and it's one of her greatest moments on film!

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
Unquestionably her finest movie dancing. She does an electrifyingly fast dance up and down stairs with Gene Nelson and is just astonishing. In her autobiography, she said she never believed for a moment that she'd be able to do this number, and it's one of her greatest moments on film!

Yes, if I remember correctly, the choreographer for that number just indicated to Doris how to do the steps, without demonstrating. And then after she had filmed the scene they told her that they were unable to dance on the stairs themselves, because it was much too complicated and dangerous!

"Tea for Two" was another film in which Doris danced with impressive skill. I don't believe any of her other musicals featured her dancing to such an extent.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Doris held her own very nicely with Ray Bolger in April in Paris:

She originally trained as a dancer until a car accident injured a leg and she had to give up that career goal.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Slightly off topic, but since this was our most recent Doris Day thread, I wondered what the chances are for 'Move Over, Darling' appearing soon?

Been wanting to watch it again, but know it's on Blu-Ray over in Europe (And there appears to be a HD transfer on some streaming services). So I'd hate to buy the DVD only to have it quickly become obsolete.

pebro

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Brogan
I saw it at a sneak preview, where it bombed completely, not a laugh to be heard. I've never liked it, frankly, but will get the Blu-ray for the quality and to see the Tashlin work, which even all these years later I recall not really being in evidence. I much prefer Bachelor Flat for his 60s work. Let's have THAT on Blu-ray.
I saw it at Radio City Music Hall in June of 1966 when I was 12. My biggest memory is the laughter from the 5,000 or more people at the showing and how much fun I thought the movie was. Watching it in the years since, only reinforced that initial feeling. Beyond the scenery, I love the cast and think the supporting cast is second to none. I also like Doris Day's naturalness. She seems to be having fun and at almost 44, has a stunning figure and such energy.

pebro

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Brogan
Yeah, I was under the impression that Day bailed on movies because she was stuck doing that TV show.

Really does seem abrupt, though - she made 80 skillion movies until 1968 and then never again!
She continued to receive offers and was considered for "Forty Carats" when Ross Hunter was briefly attached to it before he drifted off to "Lost Horizon" and Mike Frankovich took over. There were also overtures early in the game for "Turning Point" (The MacLaine character with Audrey Hepburn in the Bancroft role). A sequel to "Pillow Talk" was discussed in the early 80's with Doris, Rock and Tony and Timothy Hutton and Kristy McNichol as their offspring. "Murder She Wrote" was offered prior to Angela. Albert Brooks met with her at her Carmel home in 1995 to offer "Mother".

With the exception of 2 visits to L.A. (one for Les Brown's birthday and one to receive the DeMille Award at the Golden Globes in 1989), she had no interest in a return to her career. Animal welfare became her champion cause and she did remarkable work for decades.

pebro

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Brogan
^^^

In 1993 when I saw the musical SUNSET BLVD. a few times, I thought Doris Day would be great in that if they made a movie version of it. She'd been out of the public eye awhile and would fit the role in ways that Gloria Swanson did when the film first appeared.

If I mentioned it back then everyone would say, maybe, but she's too old. She's 70. Cut to this year when it's planned to become a movie with Glenn Close. Who's now 72.
_______

In 1989 I recall that Doris Day was in talks to do a movie version of West Side Waltz. I saw the Ernest Thomson (On Golden Pond) play with Katharine Hepburn. Also that year she had agreed to appear on the Oscar telecast, but it was reported that she had cut her foot working in her garden and wouldn't be able to attend. Since there was always talk of her being reclusive, I wondered if that was true or an excuse. In any event, she didn't do West Side Waltz (it was done in 1995 as a TV film, with Shirley MacLaine) and she didn't appear on the Oscars.
When Doris attended the Golden Globes in January of 1989 to receive the DeMille honor, seated at her table with her son Terry and his wife, was Allan Carr, who was producing the awards that year. He was enchanted with Doris and Doris found him very funny, charming and noted, "...he reminds me a little of Billy DeWolfe..." (her late friend and someone who appeared in 2 of her movies and guested on her CBS series numerous times.

Allan was so insistent that she agree to be on the Oscars that she finally said yes. She immediately regretted it but didn't know how to get out of it. Well she did!! :)

"West Side Waltz" was sent to her by Miss Hepburn. In 1960 William Wyler had contemplated casting Hepburn and Day in "The Children's Hour" with Doris in the role that Audrey Hepburn eventually played and Katharine in the role that Shirley MacLaine played. Marty effectively put the kibosh on it. With respect to "Waltz", Doris didn't want to work at the time, as the Pet Foundation and Animal League were taking so much time.

Like another "Waltz" she was considered for, this one wasn't danced.

The prior instance was "Do I Hear a Waltz" the Richard Rodgers/Sondheim stage musical that was not overly successful. However, Arthur Laurents and George Cukor were interested in doing it as a film and casting Doris Day. It's the same story as "Time of the Cuckoo" and K. Hepburn's "Summertime". Once Marty heard that Doris would be playing a "40ish spinster", he gave a resounding no!

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I love Doris' story. When she was a teen her tour bus she was touring with her brother act was hit by a train and her legs were crushed. She asked the doctor how long it would be before she could dance again. His reply was, "Dance? You'll be lucky if you can walk again!" Well we all know she danced in movies and her legs were beautiful. Also, while she was recovering she would listen to her favorite singer, Ella Fitzgerald, and try to copy her clean style. She eventually starting singing with bands and was a natural. Then she was offered a movie and was a natural actor at that, too. Her acting and singing style was to do only one take because she thought it was the most natural and she hated any acting or singing that seemed rehearsed. What a great lady.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks