What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sunset Boulevard -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Real Name
Paul Thrussell
Paul Thrussell said:
I was quite disturbed to read the above - am I correct in my understanding that the negs to all of the Paramount titles sold to MCA were tossed?
I must have had my head under a rock, the information wasn't very hard to find - in fact, quite close to home! :D If anyone's interested, there's a bit of info in another thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/293488/paramount-pre-1950-films-owned-by-universal
Please excuse me while I now belatedly mourn these nitrate treasures :(

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Have the 'last' released DVD which must be the Lowry version. To my eyes on my system it looks darn good. Plan on renting the Blu-ray prior to any possible purchase.

Devmo

Auditioning
Real Name
Devin Wiley
My favorite Wilder picture and Waxman score - really excited for this. Glad to hear it's looking beautiful. Cheers me up after the Hitch sitch...

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
For those interested, my interview with Nancy Olson (Betty Shaefer) is up and can be found here. I admit to being a little star struck!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Does anybody else have an audio sync problem? The sound seems to be half a second off through major portions of the film - dialogue and effects. The slamming of a car door with the audio coming just after the picture makes it obvious. Can't remember this being a problem on the old laserdisc but I can't compare at the moment.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Adam Gregorich said:
Got my copy from Paramount on Friday at the HTF meet.  Looking forward to watching this week.
Same here.
I've never seen it and I'm going to try and watch it on Thursday.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the most brilliant, historically important...

and Hugely entertaining films ever produced.

RAH

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/324654/a-few-words-about-sunset-boulevard-in-blu-ray#post_3998794
One of the most brilliant, historically important...

and Hugely entertaining films ever produced.

RAH

Yeah, but it's about, like, old people. And it's black and white. Eeew.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
Yeah, but it's about, like, old people.  And it's black and white.  Eeew.
No doubt there's always going to be a contingent of people who feel that way but the first time I saw Sunset Boulevard, I was surprised by how modern it felt. Obviously, it was an older movie but it has a... cynicism and darkness that made it feel a modern movie to me. Granted, I was never a black and white-aphobe but I think this movie is a great way to introduce older movies to people who are willing to at least give a chance to something that isn't in color.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
TravisR said:
No doubt there's always going to be a contingent of people who feel that way but the first time I saw Sunset Boulevard, I was surprised by how modern it felt. Obviously, it was an older movie but it has a... cynicism and darkness that made it feel a modern movie to me. Granted, I was never a black and white-aphobe but I think this movie is a great way to introduce older movies to people who are willing to at least give a chance to something that isn't in color.
I think the fact that Sunset Boulevard is in black and white adds immensely to its atmosphere, and is wholly appropriate to a somewhat eerie examination of an aging film star from the silent era.
Moe Dickstein said:
Could have used some zombies to make it better.
Don't give Hollywood any ideas for a sequel/reboot. I can just see Michael Bay rubbing his hands over a Sunset Boulevard: Revenge of the Fallen, wherein an angry zombie Joe Gillis comes back for justice.

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett
Colin Jacobson said:
Does anyone here have trouble with Paramount "catalog" Blu-rays on Panasonics?  I have a Panny BD-60 player and it won't play this one.
It wouldn't run "Airplane!" last week either, but I thought that was because it was a rental and scratched.  My "Sunset" is as mint as mint can be but doesn't run on my Panny.
My Sony plays it without a hitch, so it's not the disc.  My firmware's up to date.  Frustrating!
It "reboots" my Pioneer BDP-33D part way through the movie and during the Nancy Olson interview. :(

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Persianimmortal said:
, wherein an angry zombie Joe Gillis comes back for justice.
Rob Zombie? Or maybe Gus Van Sant will do a color shot-by-shot remake.
The reason I posted that about B&W is someone in my office recently said that pretty much verbatim to me re: Sunset Boulevard after a friend had tried to "make" them watch it.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I can understand the aversion to black and white. I had it myself a while ago. I found that it made me automatically see a film as "dreary", as soon as I saw the lack of color. Some people are influenced by color quite strongly and hence it affects their mood and perception, regardless of the quality of the subject matter.
However it wasn't long before I came to see that the stories and acting in classic black and white movies, even the cinematography, was far superior to many more recent movies. Pretty soon after that realization, I started to completely overlook the lack of color; my mind almost automatically ignores the fact that a movie is black and white now, and I focus completely on the content of the movie itself, which is quite compelling in the case of Sunset Boulevard.
This year has seen a lot of quality B&W films released on blu, and I've been snapping them up. My copy of Sunset is winging its way to me as we speak. I understand that it's region free, so I'll be able to enjoy it shortly.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/324654/a-few-words-about-sunset-boulevard-in-blu-ray/30#post_3998936
So nobody knows about the deleted framing sequences?

You mean the zombies in the morgue, rising from the dead to narrate?

willyTass

Supporting Actor
here she is
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=15929&cap2=15921&art=full&image=5&cID=1352&action=1&lossless=1#vergleich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks