What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Stage Struck (1925)-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I make note of the year of release for Kino's new Blu-ray of Stage Struck, as there have been about eight versions over the decades. The most famous would be the 1958 Sidney Lumet production, starring Henry Fonda, Susan Strasberg, Joan Greenwood, Herbert Marshall and Christopher Plummer.

The 1925 version, starring Gloria Swanson, was one of her last silent productions. By that time Miss Swanson had over fifty films to her credit. Hitting the sound era, there would be merely another dozen, with Sunset Boulevard being her most famous.

Accessed from presumably a dupe preservation negative held at George Eastman House, the film has a major tech attribute of giving us the original two-color Technicolor sequences in addition to tinted and toned footage.

Quality is overall excellent.

A musical score serves its purpose.

While not a great film, Stage Struck gives us an example of Miss Swanson's comedic talents.

Image - n/a

Audio - na/a

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
A couple of years later she would have an affair with Joseph P Kennedy who would produce Erich von Stroheim's troubled production of Queen Kelly (1929).

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Can't wait to see this! I'm wondering how the piano score is and wondering why they didn't get a Carl Davis symphony for something like this. I love silent films and wish Carl Davis could do scores for all of them. He is a national treasure and completely transports us into heaven watching a silent film with his scores.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Can't wait to see this! I'm wondering how the piano score is and wondering why they didn't get a Carl Davis symphony for something like this. I love silent films and wish Carl Davis could do scores for all of them. He is a national treasure and completely transports us into heaven watching a silent film with his scores.

A Carl Davis symphony?!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Careful what you ask for ...
a77616833594caa39778d52bc913ae860354adb1

yzgxdc-abbafororc-preview-m3_550x550.jpg
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks