What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ My Gal Sal -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My Gal Sal is another musical from the notorious Fox three-strip Technicolor library.

But this one is different.

Whether by chance, or by some other means, this one allows us to see many of the gorgeous Technicolor attributes of the era. It could be far better, but one would need elements.

This is one of the rare films in the library, for which some shadow detail remains. Blacks are not clotted up affairs, and resolution looks proper.

The image is more than pleasing.

Rita Hayworth leads, with Victor Mature playing songwriter Paul Dresser.

The film was one of three that Ms Hayworth did for Fox, with two of them being in Technicolor. The other was Blood and Sand.

Not one of the great musicals of all time, but well worth your time, if for no other reason than to see what Fox Technicolor looked like - more or less.

And then, of course, there's the dancing of Hermes Pan.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Recommended

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
Great to hear the PQ holds up!

I've always enjoyed this film, it is really fun to see Rita in a Betty Grable - style musical,

which has such a different look and feel from her Columbia musicals.

Last edited:

notmicro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark M
...and speaking of Hermes Pan, high on my Technicolor Blu-restoration wish-list is Betty Grable's Pin Up Girl (1944 Fox) where he really cuts loose in the "Once Too Often" number.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've always wondered if Betty Grable requested that he be her partner in some of the pair numbers to give her more confidence or if he insisted on doing them to fulfill some desire to be on camera? Reading his biography, it seems like the former was more likely, but I am curious about it.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
It's a special treat for me when the dance number is a star/ choreographer combo:

Garbo-Robert Alton, Garland-Charles Waters, Hayworth-Cole, special mention Hayworth-

Valerie Bettis acting together, and of course Hermes here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks