What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Legend of the Lost -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Legend of the Lost is an odd one.

Directed by legendary Henry Hathaway, it's a rather bland adventure film, starring John Wayne, and strangely, featuring Sophia Loren and Rossano Brazzi.

Much of it was gorgeously shot on location, in Libya, and that along with its cinematographer and process, are what makes this something that's worth your time.

It was photographed in Technirama (8-perf 35mm), by the great Jack Cardiff.

And it shows on every frame of new Kino Classics Blu-ray, with a master courtesy of MGM. It's a quality affair, and looks the part.

My advice.

Forget the story, although it's fine.

Just pick up a copy, as a technological rarity, with a genius behind the lens.

And enjoy for those attributes alone.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from the DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
So looking forward to this one! I'm a huge Wayne fan (I think I have more John Wayne movies in my collection than any other actor) and if anyone can steal one's attention from Jack Cardiff's lensing, it's Sophia Loren! Great to hear the blu does justice to the film's other visual assets.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review RAH. I have the import BD, however, based on your recommendation I'll be double dipping.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'm really looking forward to this one! Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris! I've always enjoyed the story though, it's sort of a proto-Indiana Jones. The location shots in Libya are beautiful. I pre-ordered on day one.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Ah, thanks for the clarification all. If this is the same transfer as import, I'll stick with what I already have.

Alberto_D

BANNED
I wonder why nobody created some sort of "16mm technirama", to allow use 16mm film and cameras to shoot a frame area size similar to Techniscope (a 35mm format).

Just to remamber, for who are unfamiliar, the film formats we are talking about :

Technirama uses 35mm film in different position (horizontally), in order to get larger frame area, similar to Vistavision :

Technirama1.jpg

Usual 35mm 4 perforation :
Cinemascope_4_perf_35_mm_film.png

35mm Techniscope, uses 2 perforations and result in a smaller frame area of the film:
35-12.jpg.39b33f43e025d97791d013870bcd37c7.jpg

And Imax it's a kind of "technirama from 65mm film" :

ZZ3E5AAEC7.jpg

Last edited:

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Well Alberto some amateur photographers in the UK in the late 60's and 70's did this.
In those days The Widescreen Association of which I was a founding member was set up to encourage amateurs to film 8 and 16mm widescreen with anamorphics and other formats such as 16mm running horizontally with and without A-Lens (aka Technirama), cropping 16mm and shooting thru an extreme wide angle lens(aka Todd AO).
Fun days!!

Alberto_D

BANNED
Interesting... Have you some photo of the adapted cameras ?

Well Alberto some amateur photographers in the UK in the late 60's and 70's did this.
In those days The Widescreen Association of which I was a founding member was set up to encourage amateurs to film 8 and 16mm widescreen with anamorphics and other formats such as 16mm running horizontally with and without A-Lens (aka Technirama), cropping 16mm and shooting thru an extreme wide angle lens(aka Todd AO).
Fun days!!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Legend of the Lost is a movie where I went in with very low expectations but when it was over I was wondering how the Blu-ray would have looked if it had gotten the Spartacus treatment, it was just so beautifully shot. As for the story I will say that it has its weaknesses but it helps a lot that this movie is comparatively short so it does not drag on and on, at the end it almost felt a bit rushed to me.

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Got this in the mail yesterday (pre-ordered from Amazon). Aside from some very minor specks on the film this is an absolutely beautiful transfer. I definitely recommend to any Wayne or Loren fans. It's a pretty nice adventure yarn as well. I absolutely love the soundtrack. I looked up the composer and it's the same gentleman that composed the soundtrack for Colossus of Rhodes which sounds very similar. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks