What's new

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
OMG! This again! I am unfollowing this thread, since no one has anything new to say. It is just a pleasant little movie we are all free to like or not, and then move on, not a religion!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
With that said, Mike Frezon watching this fine film dozens of times in this short period of a time is kind of interesting to say the least.;)

And Peg is already saying, "we need to watch that again sometime..."

It is just a pleasant little movie we are all free to like or not, and then move on, not a religion!

I dunno. It just might be!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know, if I didn't care for a film or didn't think it was all that, I wouldn't continue to participate in a thread about it. Anyway, maybe, that's just me.:) With that said, Mike Frezon watching this fine film dozens of times in this short period of a time is kind of interesting to say the least.;)

I don't know about that. Sometimes a person can be interested in talking about a film that doesn't hit on all cylinders with them, especially when it is a film that, for some reason, has people massively loving it. If the only viewpoints that can be expressed are ones of overwhelming positiveness then these threads would get boring fast. With that I'll say I agree that Mike Frezon watching this film dozens of times in a short time frame is interesting, considering my own reaction to it.

All I can say is "You da man, Mike. You da man". :thumbs-up-smiley:

And that is not sarcasm. That is real respect for a guy who can appreciate this film that much, regardless of my own lukewarm feelings toward it. Who knows. Maybe I'll try watching the film again sometime soon.....I mean, all of it.....and then I can say, "Mike made me do it". ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know about that. Sometimes a person can be interested in talking about a film that doesn't hit on all cylinders with them, especially when it is a film that, for some reason, has people massively loving it. If the only viewpoints that can be expressed are ones of overwhelming positiveness then these threads would get boring fast. With that I'll say I agree that Mike Frezon watching this film dozens of times in a short time frame is interesting, considering my own reaction to it.
I never said anything about only certain viewpoints can be expressed in these threads. I just think participating in a thread about a film I didn't care for like some others isn't a good use of my time. Instead, perhaps to get a better understanding of said film, I should revisit that film again and this time watch it in its entirety, so my viewpoint can be taken seriously by others even if you still don't appreciate the film as MIke and Mark do.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And if I recall, Mike didn't immediately love the film. On subsequent viewings it grew quickly on him.

I loved it from day one. I'm in the Mike/Mark camp for sure.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And if I recall, Mike didn't immediately love the film.

Correct. In fact, for both Peg and I, we walked out of the theater after the first showing and were confused about what we had seen. I desperately wanted to see it again but KNEW Peg wouldn't go for that. We NEVER go see a film in the theater a second time. As we kept talking about the film and our thoughts about it, she said that she'd like to go see it again! So we did. And I think that allowed us to set aside our preconceived notions that we were going to see an homage or an attempt to replicate the MGM musicals of the 40s and 50s or the Legrand musicals. We accepted it for what it is and fell in love with it.

We play the OST in the car often. And have both really appreciated the performances by Gosling (especially Gosling) and Stone. And have gotten to the point where we quote lines from the film by sprinkling them throughout our daily conversations. It has just become THAT KIND OF FILM for us. The only other film that has become so ingrained in our lives was That Thing You Do. We quote lines from that film nearly every day. Again. Not kidding.

The common denominator between those two films? Thomas Everett Scott (which has a nice...symmetry to it).

There is no way I'm going to think this film needs to be loved by everyone. That would be foolish. Why should it? But we really enjoy it and find a light sense of humor and touch throughout it that really jibes with our sensibilities.

I certainly don't think everyone else on the HTF should love That Thing You Do as much as we do.

But, to each, his/her own.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
When I watch a film after it has received so many awards, my expectations are very high. I liked it but I didn't think it was that great. I love musicals and the fact that it was filmed in 2.55 CinemaScope so that was a plus but, the story and characters I just couldn't get into that much.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Projected the blu-ray last night. It was the first time seeing the film and I thought it was a wonderful homage to the great musicals of the past. I am in Mike Frezon's camp and will be watching it regularly from now on. I think that Fred and Vera-Ellen would agree that Ryan and Emma pulled it off.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Projected the blu-ray last night. It was the first time seeing the film and I thought it was a wonderful homage to the great musicals of the past. I am in Mike Frezon's camp and will be watching it regularly from now on. I think that Fred and Vera-Ellen would agree that Ryan and Emma pulled it off.
Sorry, but I wouldn't go that far!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I gave this film a second try a few weeks ago, and still didn't care for it. None of the musical numbers were memorable, and neither Emma Stone or Ryan Gosling did anything for me with their performances. This UHD disc will be sold in the next batch of discs I purge from my collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I gave this film a second try a few weeks ago, and still didn't care for it. None of the musical numbers were memorable, and neither Emma Stone or Ryan Gosling did anything for me with their performances. This UHD disc will be sold in the next batch of discs I purge from my collection.
Scott,

Have you seen The Greatest Showman?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not yet, Robert. We rarely go to the movie theater anymore, but The Greatest Showman is a film I am interested in seeing when it comes to home video.

My wife and I both enjoy musicals, but neither of us cared for La La Land.
Scott,

How come you don't purchase Movie Pass? Is your wife retired too? You can purchase two Movie Pass and it would be cheaper than renting films.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am in Mike Frezon's camp and will be watching it regularly from now on. I think that Fred and Vera-Ellen would agree that Ryan and Emma pulled it off.

Keith:

I'm thrilled to have you in my camp (we'll be having s'mores tonight!)...but not even I would think that Fred and Vera would be thinking that Ryan and Emma "pulled it off." :laugh: The stories I've read about Fred's perfectionism lead me to think he'd even have a hard time being polite if asked about their performances. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith:

I'm thrilled to have you in my camp (we'll be having s'mores tonight!)...but not even I would think that Fred and Vera would be thinking that Ryan and Emma "pulled it off." :laugh: The stories I've read about Fred's perfectionism lead me to think he'd even have a hard time being polite if asked about their performances. :D
You can say the same thing about Gene Kelly. Performers like Fred and Gene would be very hard on both Ryan and Emma.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

How come you don't purchase Movie Pass? Is your wife retired too? You can purchase two Movie Pass and it would be cheaper than renting films.

My wife is "semi-retired" -- she works a few hours three days per week at a local retirement home coordinating activities for the residents because she enjoys it, not for the money. She was actually a volunteer there, but they hired her for a nominal hourly rate so she could help with other things she was not allowed to do as a volunteer for insurance reasons.

Not going to a movie theater isn't really about the money for us -- it's just we have other things we like to do when we go out, and watching films in the comfort of our home is more enjoyable than dealing with the movie theater anymore. Movie Pass would be a great idea for us if we went to the movies more often, but it's just not something we do. If that changes, I will definitely consider Movie Pass, though.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I found a lot to like about "La La Land", but there's not much point bringing up Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly to compare it to. Gifted and highly-trained perfectionist geniuses are thin on the ground these days, You might as well compare this post to Shakespeare. I don't come off well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks