What's new

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I'm not surprised that most damn EARTHQUAKE as a bad movie... because it is. But it's a helluva lot more fun than the over-long, self-important TOWERING INFERNO. All those boring sub-plots! But to each his own. I guess we can all just agree that POSEIDON ADVENTURE is the best of the bunch... just an unapologetic dopey crowd-pleaser that knows what it's supposed to do and then does it... well.

For the record though: I found the Shout Factory EARTHQUAKE to be a *marked* improvement over the previous Universal blu-ray. So I think it's a terrific upgrade for those who, like me, have a nostalgic fondness for the movie.

BTW, as awful as THE SWARM is, it's awfulness pales in comparison to CONCORDE: AIRPORT '79 ... :rolling-smiley:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised that most damn EARTHQUAKE as a bad movie... because it is. But it's a helluva lot more fun than the over-long, self-important TOWERING INFERNO. All those boring sub-plots! But to each his own. I guess we can all just agree that POSEIDON ADVENTURE is the best of the bunch... just an unapologetic dopey crowd-pleaser that knows what it's supposed to do and then does it... well.

No, I think "Inferno" is clearly superior to "Poseidon", which has its own boring subplots.

As does "Earthquake". It's mostly boring subplots, with only a few minutes of shake and bake!

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Compared to EQ, INFERNO is the better made movie - infinitely more impressive effects with slicker cinematography. But it asks to be taken seriously (165 min!!!!!) ... and it ain't happening. I don't know if the makers of EARTHQUAKE expected it to be taken seriously, but it isn't pretentious... and it's a lot more fun (it's deliriously loony... Ava Gardner... Marjoe Gortner). And you're wrong about the subplots... EARTHQUAKE's sub-plots are wonderful... it's the main plot (the love triangle) that's a snooze fest (but Genevieve Bujold's screen charm and Ava Gardner's high-camp performance even spice that up ... a little).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tried to watch Poseidon on TCM a couple weekends ago. It didn't hold my interest. I kept channel surfing and playing with my phone.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I so well remember going to see Earthquake in 1974. It had tons of hype and clips on TV and I couldn't wait. So my Dad took my brother and me to see it, and as it started, with the scene with Heston and Gardner, my Dad muttered, "Oh my God, it's a soap opera" with disgust. I was so afraid he would make us leave, but we stayed. As much fond nostalgia, I have for the film, I do cringe at some of those scenes. FWIW I do like the new release better than the previous.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Compared to EQ, INFERNO is the better made movie - infinitely more impressive effects with slicker cinematography. But it asks to be taken seriously (165 min!!!!!) ... and it ain't happening. I don't know if the makers of EARTHQUAKE expected it to be taken seriously, but it isn't pretentious... and it's a lot more fun (it's deliriously loony... Ava Gardner... Marjoe Gortner). And you're wrong about the subplots... EARTHQUAKE's sub-plots are wonderful... it's the main plot (the love triangle) that's a snooze fest (but Genevieve Bujold's screen charm and Ava Gardner's high-camp performance even spice that up ... a little).

We'll just have to disagree about... well, all of the above!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I so well remember going to see Earthquake in 1974. It had tons of hype and clips on TV and I couldn't wait. So my Dad took my brother and me to see it, and as it started, with the scene with Heston and Gardner, my Dad muttered, "Oh my God, it's a soap opera" with disgust. I was so afraid he would make us leave, but we stayed. As much fond nostalgia, I have for the film, I do cringe at some of those scenes. FWIW I do like the new release better than the previous.

Oh, I have immense nostalgia for "Earthquake". I remember where I saw it - and where my Mom and I ate afterwards! Very fond memories!

It's still a crap film, though! :D

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I knew about Earthquake years before actually watching it for the first time back in either 2000/2001. My first acknowledgment of the movie came from this souvenir video of Universal Studios Florida I got back when I first visited back in 96/97.

The VHS special was hosted by John Forsythe who takes us on a tour of the entire park to visit all the attractions. Here's the Earthquake part of the video.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks