What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The imagery on Shout Factory's new Blu-ray of the 1974 all-star epic catastrophe production, Earthquake, is of requisite enough quality to show off the film's effects for their analogue quality.

Which were not good.

While many top actors, or actors of the past, got themselves a paycheck to appear in this film, the actual star was probably the publicity sizzle of the Sensurround process, as explained in a short piece by Ben Burtt.

I recalled the "landing airliner" in the TV version as being the best part of the broadcast, but my memory must be going, as it's truly awful.

Some films are best left to one's memories of them. This is probably one of those.

Imagery is more than acceptable for the feature version, and audio is fine. The TV version is probably best left undiscussed.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - If you must

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, The Poseidon Adventure & The Towering Inferno were (& are) great, but there was a lot of dross in their wake, Earthquake, Beyond The Poseidon Adventure, The Swarm, When Time Ran Out, & many more, some I enjoy & some I don't. Today, if a disaster film isn't up to much, at least there's some mind boggling visuals, thanks to CGI.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup, The Poseidon Adventure & The Towering Inferno were (& are) great, but there was a lot of dross in their wake, Earthquake, Beyond The Poseidon Adventure, The Swarm, When Time Ran Out, & many more, some I enjoy & some I don't. Today, if a disaster film isn't up to much, at least there's some mind boggling visuals, thanks to CGI.
I wouldn’t include Earthquake in that list of terrible films.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I loved it as a kid, but it really is an awful film. But I will always have a soft spot for it because it was my introduction to Geneviève Bujold, who I still think is terrific.

I have the Universal blu for sentiment’s sake so no need to “upgrade” to the Shout as I thought at the time that all the added TV footage was dreadful.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah same transfer as Universal. No need to upgrade. The TV version is worthless and I am assuming full screen and lesser quality.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
You sure about that? I thought this was a new transfer.
Universal just did a new transfer why would they do another one for Shout so soon when it not a blockbuster selling title. Screenshots look identical. Shout may have done their own tweaks but nothing major and nothing worth an upgrade for.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Universal just did a new transfer why would they do another one for Shout so soon when it not a blockbuster selling title. Screenshots look identical. Shout may have done their own tweaks but nothing major and nothing worth an upgrade for.
So then you’re not sure. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From Shouts press release.

We're excited to announce a new Blu-ray release that will shake you to your core! 1974’s epic disaster flick Earthquake is getting the Collector’s Edition treatment on May 21st with a new scan of the film plus an extended cut featuring scenes shot for Television, and available for pre-order now at: http://bit.ly/EarthquakeCollector

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
From Shouts press release.

We're excited to announce a new Blu-ray release that will shake you to your core! 1974’s epic disaster flick Earthquake is getting the Collector’s Edition treatment on May 21st with a new scan of the film plus an extended cut featuring scenes shot for Television, and available for pre-order now at: http://bit.ly/EarthquakeCollector
A new scan of the film is usually fluff when a new scan of the film was just done a couple years ago. I've seen nothing that shows a major difference. Plus with Shouts high prices I wouldn't even consider it since I'm not interested in the TV cut.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A new scan of the film is usually fluff when a new scan of the film was just done a couple years ago. I've seen nothing that shows a major difference. Plus with Shouts high prices I wouldn't even consider it since I'm not interested in the TV cut.
I get that. I was just questioning this definitive statement.
Yeah same transfer as Universal

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Again from Shouts website.

• NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Of The Theatrical Cut (2.35:1)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I saw it when released, and thought it much inferior to The Towering Inferno. Earthquake seemed the crassest, even patronizing bunch of hog jowls tossed into the commercial market. At least Inferno made for a classier produced and written thrill ride, with some truly effective moments.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My main problem with Earthquake is it takes way too long to fire up the chaos- the first 50 minutes of the film is excruciating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks