What's new

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I hope you're right, I'm ready for them.

Uh, no, that would be Jeremy Brett. IMHO. Brett was fantastic in the role and also had the advantage of appearing in versions very faithful to the original stories. And his Watson wasn't turned into a bafoon.

Ditto.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The monster movies suffered, but made a startling comeback with Creature from the Black Lagoon; the likes of its two sequels I surely wish Uni would get around to releasing as a box set like these.

I am quite certain this will happen, and predict (gulp) that REVENGE OF THE CREATURE as well as the original film will be presented in 3D. I've no idea whether or not 3D Film Archives would have any involvement in this, but that would be great.

Meanwhile, Germany released REVENGE OF THE CREATURE on Blu-ray a while back, and it's a monstrous travesty (as in, don't buy it!). The 3D version is anaglyph and is piss-poor, impossible for your eyes and mind to align it so that it actually works as a dimensional experience. Total waste of disc space. The 2D version is also screwed up, in that it's presented at a 1.33:1 aspect ratio. God, did they drop the ball with this release. I bought it, I sold it. Didn't even keep it as a place-holder!

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I am quite certain this will happen, and predict (gulp) that REVENGE OF THE CREATURE as well as the original film will be presented in 3D. I've no idea whether or not 3D Film Archives would have any involvement in this, but that would be great.

Meanwhile, Germany released REVENGE OF THE CREATURE on Blu-ray a while back, and it's a monstrous travesty (as in, don't buy it!). The 3D version is anaglyph and is piss-poor, impossible for your eyes and mind to align it so that it actually works as a dimensional experience. Total waste of disc space. The 2D version is also screwed up, in that it's presented at a 1.33:1 aspect ratio. God, did they drop the ball with this release. I bought it, I sold it. Didn't even keep it as a place-holder!
I picked up the German version too :-(.....sure hoping for a set with Revenge in 3-D soon!!

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Are you serious about OLD DARK HOUSE? It is my all-time favorite! Where can I see info on this? Thank you! I was so disappointed in the Kino DVD release.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I read this again and again. While Bride is a good sequel, I don't think it's superior to the original. One place where Bride really loses me is the revelation of the "little people." The movie descends into a farce during that scene, it always pulls me out of the movie.
I'm with you on this one. I very much like Bride,and think it makes for a very good double-feature with Frankenstein, but do not consider it to be better than Frankenstein. If I had to pick one to watch and the other to toss I'd keep Frankenstein and toss Bride.

Since the Dracula and Mummy sets came so soon after the Frankenstein and Wolf Man sets I'm fully expecting the Invisible Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon sets this October.

I've been totally blown away by the overall quality on all of these so far! They are absolutely amazing, especially considering we'd been told for years that "What you have is the best there is." Even the previous "worst" prints of the Mummy series now looks like it was filmed yesterday. This is the 6th time I've purchased some of these films and I can finally say I don't need to own another release. I just don't see how it could be better.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
No 3D work has been reported to be in process on Revenge of the Creature and we know Bob has requested to do it for Universal. So if the Creature films are released in a box set I don't think it will coming soon unless it does not include a 3D version of Revenge. But I expect the Invisible man and possibly another Universal Horror collection to come close to Halloween.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No 3D work has been reported to be in process on Revenge of the Creature and we know Bob has requested to do it for Universal. So if the Creature films are released in a box set I don't think it will coming soon unless it does not include a 3D version of Revenge. But I expect the Invisible man and possibly another Universal Horror collection to come close to Halloween.
I have the Creature in 3D and the other two on DVD. Without a 3D Revenge, I see no need to buy another Creature boxset.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have the Creature in 3D and the other two on DVD. Without a 3D Revenge, I see no need to buy another Creature boxset.
Agreed but since it will take awhile to complete I definitely don't see a creature box set released this year unless it was non-3D. That was the only point I was making. I think Universal realizes that a lot of people want a 3D release so I think they will wait until next year for this one.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy tonight and was so pleased with the widescreen HD presentation. Despite a few soft shots (I'm sure part of the original photography, not the fault of the transfer), the video quality is excellent and certainly clean as a whistle. Sound is mighty fine. And I'm sorry, but some of it is very funny to me. I did see it as a tiny little boy at the movies, and the Mummy kind of scared me (like it did Lou) then. Maybe it's one of those movies from my childhood that I can't escape initial impressions about.

A fun way to complete a very nicely produced box set of films.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
FYI Costco has both of these sets (as well as the newer GCI set) for $24.99 each (with the Fandango Cash for $8.00)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
FYI Costco has both of these sets (as well as the newer GCI set) for $24.99 each (with the Fandango Cash for $8.00)

I joined Costco a week ago, but I don't see any Blu-rays in the store nor online.
Where do you find them?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I joined Costco a week ago, but I don't see any Blu-rays in the store nor online.
Where do you find them?
On the other side from where the dead tree thingies (I believe some call them "books" ) are ;) ... Some stores may not be carrying them ... The "Business" Costcos https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ never did -though they sometimes have good deal on refurbished electronics ...

This http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201706?pg=96#pg96 page from the Costco Connections show some new releases (with item numbers) that SHOULD be in stores ...

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I got my Dracula and Mummy sets in Blu Ray last week and had a problem with Disc One of the Mummy. In the first few minutes the disc jammed then tried to splutter on then jammed again. It took a lot of fiddling about before I could get the door open to remove the disc, I immediately contacted the World Biggest Warehouse for a replacement but after four days got no answer and then wrote several hours ago about this and still no reply. Unusual as they usually answer and correct within a couple of hours or less. Everything else seems to run thru OK. I have had this problem before on discs but not very often.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I got my Dracula and Mummy sets in Blu Ray last week and had a problem with Disc One of the Mummy. In the first few minutes the disc jammed then tried to splutter on then jammed again. It took a lot of fiddling about before I could get the door open to remove the disc, I immediately contacted the World Biggest Warehouse for a replacement but after four days got no answer and then wrote several hours ago about this and still no reply. Unusual as they usually answer and correct within a couple of hours or less. Everything else seems to run thru OK. I have had this problem before on discs but not very often.
Assuming you're talking about Amazon, don't call them. Just go to your order and select the button for getting a replacement.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I now have one minor negative about the Dracula set. The Spanish version of Dracula doesn't appear to have been restored at all. I've not yet pulled out my DVD Legacy Collection version but I'd say the print is the same. While it overall looks very good, there's significant damage on several scenes. Vertical scratches, dirt, etc. show up in some scenes in Dracula's castle, scenes on the boat taking them to England, and in the Opera house. There are others but those really stuck out. I'm not too upset as this is my least favorite of the Dracula films and only receives very limited viewings but it still would have been nice to have it look as good as the other films.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I now have one minor negative about the Dracula set. The Spanish version of Dracula doesn't appear to have been restored at all. I've not yet pulled out my DVD Legacy Collection version but I'd say the print is the same. While it overall looks very good, there's significant damage on several scenes. Vertical scratches, dirt, etc. show up in some scenes in Dracula's castle, scenes on the boat taking them to England, and in the Opera house. There are others but those really stuck out. I'm not too upset as this is my least favorite of the Dracula films and only receives very limited viewings but it still would have been nice to have it look as good as the other films.

I watched it over the weekend on my old Monsters blu-ray set. I noticed those issues, as well. I assume they didn't have a pristine copy to use, but they did the best they could.

The disc in the new set should be identical (I have it, but haven't opened it yet). I don't think they did anything additional on the new set for that disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks