What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blade Runner -- in HD & BD (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Quite right!
My badd.

Just came from a review, to correct my wrongs.
Thanks for posting, so I didn't set anyone up.

I had read on the web (duh!), that only the "Final" would be HD & not all would have TrueHD. We are truly lucky to be alive, right now!

Sorry about that.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Wow... just wow.

Watched the Final Cut, the making of which was excellent,One of the best Ive ever seen, and Im on disc4 now.

Thank you WB

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
As of 10:15 pm Tuesday night, Amazon has it listed as in stock.

I'm going to check Wally World and Meijer after work.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Great story, Robert, although oddly in Paul Sammon's book FUTURE NOIR, the discovery of the workprint is attributed to a "stereo-film preservationist" named Michael Arick and the whole story (or his version of the story) is told in some detail in chapter XVI. I did notice that Mr. Arick, who figures prominently in FUTURE NOIR, is nowhere to be seen in any of the BLADE RUNNER supplements. Was Mr. Arick taking credit for your discovery back then?

Vincent

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
CRAP...I had the 5-disc Blu-Ray set in my hands at Best Buy today ($35) and put it down because I hadn't seen any reviews for it yet. Suffice to say that I have never seen this film and have been looking forward to doing so for some time now, but was waiting for a final or "definitive" version. I guess it has arrived!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Lucky for you Ron that Best Buy has extended holiday hours. Run, don't walk, back to BB and pick up your copy and enjoy it tonight! :D

[this is assuming you're on the west coast, east coast and they're probably closed, central time and you've got a fighting chance]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay I need to change my shorts. Just finished watching The Final Cut. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Met Charlie D. quite a few years ago (along with Bill Hunt) at a So-Cal HTF event at David Tolsky's house and he was excited about this project way back then. That was more than five years ago [I want to say it was around 2001 but I could be off].

The wait has finally paid off. Our patience has been rewarded.

The BD makes the old DVD of Blade Runner look like really bad VHS. I am astounded at what they've been able to do. This is why high-def exists.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
A brilliant set. Charles, Sir Ridley and anyone else associated with this set, I thank you for giving me my birthday gift nine days early: an all-encompassing edition of one of my all-time favorites.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
I watched disc 1 (The Final Cut) of my HD DVD set last night and it looks absolutely stunning. Without a doubt, miles ahead of any other version of the film that I have seen before on video.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I ordered the BD briefcase back in September from Amazon... still hasn't shipped :frowning:
What kind of numbers are you all getting on the certificate? I wonder how many BD and HD cases were produced.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Arick was at that time an employee of Warner Bros., and would have received the call from Todd-AO.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Ha, ha...well, it was pretty late last night when I posted, but rest assured, I will be picking this up today!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Here at last is my review....which took me five days, plus I ended up oversleeping this morning:

dOc DVD Review: Blade Runner: Five-Disc Complete Collector's Edition HD-DVD (1982/1992/2007)

Lot of stuff on these discs! The disc 2 documentary is worth the price of the set right there.

And yes, all five cuts are in HD, though the Final Cut looks the best of the five by far. The work print by its nature looks the least, but what are you going to do about a unique source print?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Well I've spent several hours in the world of Blade Runner now and I've just come up for air. I must say that I saw this film in 82 when I was 16. This presentation really reminded me what an amazing film this is. I'm seeing details that I had forgotten about, and in some cases I had never seen before.

Dangerous Days is probably one of the best documentaries about the making of a film that I've seen.

Doug

justinslot

Agent
Real Name
Justin Slotman
My ambition is to watch everything in chronological order:

1. Workprint
2. Theatrical
3. International
4. Director's
5. Final

Hey, it's long weekend. :)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Damn, I'm not exaggerating, Robert, when I say that Mr. Arick flat out claims to have found the 70mm dupe of the workprint in the edition of FUTURE NOIR that I have. He literally takes all the credit and your name is not mentioned even once.

Vincent

bosque

Agent
Real Name
Robert Evans
As great as the hi-definition release looks, it says something about the very high quality DVD has achieved that the new DVD release of Blade Runner is very close to the HD version. I compared the 2006 DVD to the HD-DVD and was blown away by the superior contrast, blacks and colours in hi-definition, though comparing it with the new DVD of the Final Cut that superiority is nothing like as marked. So those who have not yet taken the plunge into hi-definition and bought the new DVD shouldn't feel too upset about the video quality of one of the best films of the 20th Century.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks