What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 300 -- in HD & BD (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
[coronation party]With Fox out of the picture, all hail Warner Bros. as the new King of the Double-Dippers.[/coronation party]

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Hopefully I get my discount on this title and I'll have it. If not, I'll probably hold out for a Blu-ray special edition.

I don't doubt both HD versions have 16-bit TrueHD, because I don't believe WB ever does higher than that, kind of like how they wouldn't go above 384 DD on DVD. You can't go by HiDef Digest, though. They consistently get the bit depth of the TrueHD tracks wrong. They kept saying Ghost Rider was 16, when it's really 20.

If there's a slight difference in the TrueHD and PCM tracks, it just mans DialNorm was applied, also a regular for WB titles, so it'll be good to have the PCM on the Blu-ray.

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
The thing about 300 is it looks like both the HD DVD and BD versions are missing out on some extras and goodies.

I was looking through the paper this morning and the HD DVD version is $30, BD is $25, but the Best Buy DVD edition comes with an extra disc of content and a mini Helmet (like they did with V) for $35.

Other than the blue screen thing are all of the special features like making of on both BD and HD DVD?

Until recently I only had a upscaling DVD player but now I also have a PS3 but I do not have any BD's yet. Thinking this afternoon I might pick up 300 on BD.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor

IB: inceasing the bitrate used on a VC-1 transfer beyond what was used will produce a better or more faithful transfer, simply b/c BRD allows for a higher peak or average bitrate.

TF: every lossy codec has a ceiling beyond which increasing the bitrate will have no audible or visible effect. There is no evidence to support that transfers are being done below this ceiling to fit onto HD-DVD, and thus BRD owners are being shortchanged because a better version is possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow, I posted in this thread without really reading it for a couple of days. I'm not going to give anybody a sermon now, but we will not tolerate any further discussion about "blu-ray bigots". If anybody wants to continue such rhetoric then do it on some other site. I've prune this thread and any attempt to redirect this discussion into that area again will result in immediate disciplinary action.

Furthermore, I would appreciate it, if members report any post that uses such rhetoric in the future. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ouch, guess i missed something
probably get the hd dvd because of the extras.
sure wish BB had the helmet on the hi def discs too,
i,m not crazy enough to buy both the $35 sd and the $22 hd dvd of this.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
So I picked up the Blu Ray and am playing on my PS3. I can't figure out with my Denon which of the audio tracks is the Dolby True HD. The audiotracks arent labeled and my receiver displays DD on tracks 1,2. I think track 3 is PCM (4 & 5 are the other languages) and 6 is commentary.

Anyone know if it's okay for my receiver to be on Bitstream for TrueHD -- I'm running HDMI from the ps3 to the Denon.

thanks

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'm beginning to wonder. It's pathetic, but you wouldn't believe how long I sat in the store debating on which version to pick up.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The movie looks really great in HD.

Has anyone played the game? Let me just say that if I was the last line of defense, Greece would have fallen.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I got the Blu-ray on order. Amazon snail mail, see it next week. Hey, what can i say, 3 bucks is 3 bucks! I can eat at McDonalds on it. Not that i would. :)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks!
Where did you find that info from? I tried last night & couldn't get anything on photography. :-(

Anyone have any idea where the artificial grain rumour got started???
Thanks.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"How big is the helmet?"

Travis, I would say it was about 3 and a half inches tall, mounted on a small base. Not very impressive.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Some more here:
http://www.digitalbits.com/

"The first part of the event was used to promote the DVD and high-def release of 300 (in stores today). What was most interesting about this, was that director Zach Snyder was asked by someone in the audience about the HD-DVD version vs. the Blu-ray version, and if he had a preference between them.

Snyder was diplomatic as he answered and spoke about the HD-DVD's picture-in-picture feature, but he wasn't exactly gushing either: "I don't know... it's kinda cool. I think. I don't know if the verdict's in..." Then the film's producer, Deborah Snyder (and Zach's wife, who was also on the panel), said that ******they were working on a more elaborate IME for the Blu-ray, which was going to have storyboards and production artwork in addition to the bluescreen footage*****."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Potent stream
Recent bookmarks