What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
They have one 7PM showing of Forbidden Planet which I plan to attend. Too bad, When Worlds Collide, This Island Earth and Destination Moon I'd love to see on the big screen.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Your post makes it sound as if you've already seen the new UHD release. How did you manage to do that?

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Once again this year, 2001 will screen in 70mm at Seattle Cinerama. I received this banner in an email, and while it says that tickets are now available on their website, they don't seem to be quite yet as I write this. I have no idea what print they will use, but when I saw it there a few years ago the print seemed slightly worn but played perfectly. It was a great experience.
70mm.JPG

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Are they showing them on their standard screen or on their special Cinerama screen?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've never been, but I've read that they have the deeply curved screen for Cinerama features, but also have a standard flat screen that is used for regular presentations.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
When I went, all of the films were shown on the curved screen. I did experience an alternate flat screen at the Hollywood Cinerama years ago; it was for the film Evita (Madonna). I asked why and the manager said the film makers requested it, but he couldn't say specifically why. They even had to take out a few rows of seats in the front to accommodate it. The last time I was at the Hollywood Cinerama was to see Dream Girls and they were using the curved screen. Personally, I think 2001 works really well on the curved screen. I am hoping to see it again this year if I can get away at the right time.

FatherDude

Agent
Real Name
Jason

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
The twists and turns become more complex as we head down the rabbit hole. Deadline Hollywood posted an article this morning (8/1/18) about the IMAX release, noting the following:

"The Imax run follows an “unrestored” 70mm film release of 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was overseen by Dark Knight filmmaker and Kubrick fan Christopher Nolan.

Four select Imax theaters will show the 70MM print of the film: AMC Universal Citywalk IMAX, Universal City, AMC Lincoln Square IMAX, New York City, AMC Metreon IMAX, San Francisco, and Ontario Place Cinesphere IMAX, Toronto. The Imax 70MM ‘unrestored’ print was created via a true photochemical film recreation struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative with no digital tricks, remastered effects, or revisionist edits. Additional Imax venues will be showing a brand new 4K restoration of the sci-fi film in Imax with Laser and Imax Xenon projection formats. Tickets go on sale this Friday. 2001: A Space Odyssey was first released in April 4, 1968." (Emphasis added.) The article is here.

Diffferent IMAX venues will have 4K restored or "Nolan" unrestored versions, with the premiere locations showing the latter.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It should be noted, per a separate publicity release, that the photochemical film recreation, is “fully non-GMO, and contains no silver-halide, nitrate, bi, di, or tri-acetate, and zero polyester, either new or recycled.”

Apparently, 2001 is the first recreated film that is not only healthy, but fully safe for those viewers with allergies, as it has been prepared in a venue that does not use tree nut, meat or fish products or bi-products.

In simple terms, it should be fully teal-free.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Imax 70MM ‘unrestored’ print was created via a true photochemical film recreation struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative with no digital tricks,

Ha, we don't need none of them "digital tricks" around here.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Once again this year, 2001 will screen in 70mm at Seattle Cinerama. I received this banner in an email, and while it says that tickets are now available on their website, they don't seem to be quite yet as I write this. I have no idea what print they will use, but when I saw it there a few years ago the print seemed slightly worn but played perfectly. It was a great experience.
View attachment 48258
I wished i lived in Seattle:(

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
So they have just made x 4 Imax prints of 2001.
If you go to the Film Tech site someone reports on an Imax print.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From Film-Tech. I believe the discussion relates to the “unrestored” version, and not the 70/15, or 4k.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

posticon.gif
posted 08-02-2018 02:22 AM Central (GMT -6:00) (3:22 AM Local)
quote: Mitchell DvoskinAre the IMAX 70mm showing in horizontal 70mm IMAX, or just conventional 5 perf 70mm on the unmasked wrong aspect ratio IMAX screen?They are the real deal, although there are just 4 prints and the picture will be unmasked and in the original aspect ratio, which is a big waste if you ask me.

There were a few IMAX theaters that kept a conventional 35mm/70mm projector around for non-IMAX content.

There are two topics about this "unrestored re-release" now, so I'm not sure were to put my personal experiences.

I've seen it with my own eyes about a week back in Amsterdam. Unfortunately, the show had some slight focus issues, the film was running in and out of focus. Also, the picture was a little bit unstable. Those two aspects somehow negated the idea of a 70mm presentation.
Now, the print itself.

To be brutally honest, I think this whole exercise is a waste of time, money and good film. The result of somebody's ego trip.

If the goal was to show the film in all it's glory and how people have seen it on opening day, then that mission failed.

The picture looks dirty, full of scratches, tons of broken frames that have been haphazardly restored and the colors are most definitely way off. Also, while the sound might come closest to the original mag track, it since lost it's clarity and it's nothing like what it would've sounded 50 years back.

So, if the mission was to experience the movie like it should've been experienced 50 years ago, in the best theaters, this whole thing should've been a real restoration effort. One that fixes the color timing and also adjusts it to modern Xenon lamps, one that fixes the scratches and broken frames and one that restores the soundtrack with dignity.

All in all, I'm pretty disappointed in the current end result, it's not how one of the greatest movies ever is supposed to be experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks