What's new

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
They have a notice up at the site which says that due to the coronavirus they are shipping essentials first (masks, medical supplies, etc.) and that non-essential items may be slightly delayed.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I ordered mine last night and it shipped today. Can. Not. Wait.

And thanks for reminding me of the 3CD set. I haven't pulled that out in years. Its fascinating; extremely well researched.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The same person wrote the words for both.
Sorry, but I don't think so. 'Bill's lyrics were written by the inimitable P G Wodehouse, of Blandings Castle and Jeeves fame.
They were the only lyrics in the show not written by Oscar Hammersten 2.
I'm usually the one who gets everything wrong. But people are pretty tolerant here......

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The old 3 cd set of the complete Show Boat music (John McGlinn) had many cut out songs and the original Bill. Hammerstein actually did a massive retooling to the point that his version is very different. The booklet says that he really had no reason to credit P.G. Wodehouse.

If you are a fan of the music for the show and you have the means I highly recommend the McGlinn set

This is the current art for the 3 Disc Version
71c37ctTkqL._SS500_.jpg

This is the current art for the 3 Disc Version

There is also a one disc version
61pWUQ1VswL._SY355_.jpg

Be aware that that the score is sung as written including use if the N-word ...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That 3-CD set IS something special. Really gives a new slant on the musical for those who only know it from the movie versions. Much more music than in the movies and a less jaunty tone through much of it.

Marc Hampton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Watched last night via HD projector...am so happy with this presentation. Transfer, package, supplements...the works. Even the graphics on the physical blu ray disc itself are beautiful.

I was reminded how incredibly lucky we are to have access to films like this, which were missing from public view for decades....and in a condition previously only dreamed of. Pinch me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I watched this last night.

Despite my lack of affection for the song-stylings of Allan Jones (and to a lesser extent Irene Dunne), I completely agree with the positive enthusiasm expressed in this thread.

Watched this today and it's a GREAT transfer of a GREAT movie.
I was reminded how incredibly lucky we are to have access to films like this, which were missing from public view for decades....and in a condition previously only dreamed of. Pinch me.

It's the first time I have had the opportunity to see the film. And I am so grateful to finally be able to see I've seen Paul Robeson sing Ol' Man River...and Helen Morgan singing Bill. What a treat.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The sequence of Robeson singing Ol' Man River is a mini-drama onto itself. Nothing in the film is shot the same way: the expressionistic lighting, the 360 degree camera movement on Robeson... The first time I saw the film (courtesy of Theater 80 St. Mark's, gasp!), I was reeling after this sequence, and nothing after that could top it. I still hadn't sat on Everson's course on Whale so I didn't too much about the director's touches; later viewings would correct that and my appreciation of the film grew exponentially. Of course, Kern's music and Hammerstein's lyrics don't hurt the film...

MacmaninSB

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey McFarland
Criterion sent me a coupon for $10 off my next order. They are also having a 30% off sale right now. So, after the sale and coupon but including shipping (standard shipping) and tax, I was able to order 'Show Boat' for $27.09 delivered. That beats Amazon's price of $27.99 plus tax.

I cancelled the Amazon order and placed the order with Criterion, saving about $3. Who knows, maybe Criterion will ship it to me sooner rather than later. If it gets here before Thursday of next week it will beat Amazon's current shipping. As far as I can tell, Amazon has done away with release day delivery. My last few discs have arrived 2 days after release day. I've got '1917' on order and it hasn't even shipped yet.

Mark
Supporting Criterion is so much more worthwhile than supporting Amazon. By supporting Criterion, it helps to continue and encourage releases such as SHOWBOAT. Not only that, Criterion has a reward program with frequent rewards and discounts and almost always free, fast shipping. I always receive my catalogue discs within less than a week, and the news releases within a few days. So dependable.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
I always try to order during the 50% off flash sales. I hadn't realized how much I had purchased until recently. I had a $50 certificate from my loyalty points. I combined that with the 30% off and the $10 coupon and I was able to purchase Show Boat, Death of a Cyclist, Pale Flower and Elevator to the Gallows. All for well under $100.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I received this yesterday. It's been quite some time since something arrived on disc that I really, really, really wanted as much as this one and they sure didn't let us down.
Film, extra features...all top notch.
It's a real pleasure to watch this without having to see the jumps and shifts at nearly every splice and optical. Happy, happy, happy. Thank you, Criterion.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Mine arrived from Amazon on March 31, the release date. I think we all need to give businesses some slack, especially those in the delivery business.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks