What's new

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Just watched this for the very first time last night. I went in completely cold as I haven't seen the MGM remake, nor familiar with the original play. This is such a great film! Plenty of catchy songs, every single performance is wonderful, and there's not a shot in the film that isn't beautiful. And while there's still one scene that's a little irksome, I'm astonished by how the film portrays racial issues of the day. Paul Robeson's performance stands out, with much of "Old Man River" being done in close-up and with stylized inserts. Irene Dunne and Allan Jones are equally wonderful (having only seen Jones in A Night in the Opera, I felt his was kind of wooden in that, but great here). And the scene with Charles Winnegger performing the rest of the play alone is genius.

Without having seen this before, I don't know what to compare the restoration to, but the film is flat-out gorgeous here. I assume there was a lot of optical work done originally (some times it's obvious), but most of the film just looks fresh out of the can. This is the sort of film you can show to someone to show how beautiful black and white can be.

Criterion has been knocking it out of the park this year!

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Just watched the restoration tonight. It looks and sounds incredible. I saw this version way back in the early 70's at the Virginia Museum film society. Despite its flaws I would love to see the '51 version restored. I guess the restoration costs must outweigh any potential market for the blu ray.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
This film is an amazing treasure. Don't miss it. There's nothing like it. Paul Robeson alone is a reason to watch it. Helen Morgan is basically playing her life out before our eyes. She died of alcoholism soon after. Irene Dunne is always fun and an amazing actress. It's like watching a time capsule of history of some of our greatest talents.
Was there any cuts to the final release print or was the final cut of the film left intact as its my favourite version of Showboat.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I believe the 1936 version on Criterion is intact as it was released. I also believe it is the best version. The MGM version is good, but the 1936 version is superior.
Paul Robeson & Hattie McDaniels duet is a highlight. The added song is a perfect addition to the score, not in the original. It was recorded on the complete recording of Show Boat on the Angel label in the Appendix CD (It Still Suits Me). Too bad it wasn’t in the 1950 version or in recent revivals. The other excellent added song is She’s in the Room above Me sung by Allan Jones & Irene Dunne. It’s rare that when songs are added to a B’way musical they are up to the quality of the original score.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks