What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder how much more expensive it would have been to produce a 4k DI for La La Land.

Love the aspect ratio.

Not enough to make a difference. I'd bet that the negative scan was already 4k, which makes it a matter of data wrangling.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not enough to make a difference. I'd bet that the negative scan was already 4k, which makes it a matter of data wrangling.

Too bad then. Studios seem to be cutting corners as a matter of principle even when the added costs would turn out to be very small.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I wonder if some of it is the sub-company producing the DI, maybe they haven't invested in the equipment or enough of it. In this case "EFilm".

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Fixed it for you:D

I am going to protest this (again). There is very little that annoys me more than habit of people "fixing" other people's posts and especially leaving their name attached to it without a clue what was edited. Disagree with the post is you own space, agree with the post, but don't edit someone else's thoughts.

As much as I may disagree with those opinions it is blatant disrespect to change those words to your opinon

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Clearly you're "old school". Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy may have had perfect singing voices but their films are almost unwatchable today. We've moved beyond stiff and posturing actors with beautiful voices today. We want good actors who can bring an emotional depth to their songs. Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone bring more emotional depth to City Of Stars and Audition than all of Nelson Eddy's bellowing and Kathryn Grayson's high pitched shrieking ever could. You didn't like La La Land, that's cool. But your NON STOP vitriol toward the film on this thread borders on an obsessive mania. We got you the first time. You've made your point. You're not going to change our minds.

Well, we can all pick and choose performers whose style is outdated to make our points, but that is, in my opinion, rather a silly way to do it. So, replace Ms. MacDonald and Mr. Eddy with Mr. Astaire and Ms Garland, or Mr. Kelly and anyone he danced or sang with - you want to talk about emotional depth AND great singing, then talk about Ms. Garland and The Man That Got Away. That number alone puts Ms. Stone's performance, which is fine, in perspective. I'm in LA and it most certainly was not MY favorite film of last year or any year - I enjoyed it for what it was, but I did not find it in any way great - and yes, of course I appreciate the style of it, although as has been pointed out ad nauseum by Noel, that style is completely derivative of other filmmakers, which is fine.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder if some of it is the sub-company producing the DI, maybe they haven't invested in the equipment or enough of it. In this case "EFilm".
EFilm is a quality post house. The thing to keep in mind, is that most theaters are 2k.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
EFilm is a quality post house. The thing to keep in mind, is that most theaters are 2k.

That is true too. I didn't mean to imply they didn't I was just throwing it out there. They did Deadpool which was a 4K DI so obviously they do 4K DIs. I did remember reading on another company and they didn't have one 4K DI in the entire list which is where I went that direction.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That is true too. I didn't mean to imply they didn't I was just throwing it out there. They did Deadpool which was a 4K DI so obviously they do 4K DIs. I did remember reading on another company and they didn't have one 4K DI in the entire list which is where I went that direction.

They were actually one of the first.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I am going to protest this (again). There is very little that annoys me more than habit of people "fixing" other people's posts and especially leaving their name attached to it without a clue what was edited. Disagree with the post is you own space, agree with the post, but don't edit someone else's thoughts.

As much as I may disagree with those opinions it is blatant disrespect to change those words to your opinon
Point taken. I sincerely apologize if anyone was offended. Obviously it was done in jest but I understand completely. Won't happen again.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Point taken. I sincerely apologize if anyone was offended. Obviously it was done in jest but I understand completely. Won't happen again.

Just a pet peeve even though I did note the smiley. Normally I pass on it, but it's about the 10th time I've seen it today floating around various forums so just the straw -- esp since I still see HTF as the last of teh Old School discussion platforms.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Just a pet peeve even though I did note the smiley. Normally I pass on it, but it's about the 10th time I've seen it today floating around various forums so just the straw -- esp since I still see HTF as the last of teh Old School discussion platforms.

I agree but I will say for Tino that there were extenuating circumstances in the form of a certain very persistent poster who was not happy to share his not so high opinion on La La Land in just one or two posts but quite a few more...

Which by the way is a pet peeve of mine and something that I consider to be in bad taste and the opposite of what one could call old school.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Um sorry but the film did little for me other than I appreciated the long single shot which was well done and a lost art with todays film makers regretfully. Glad it did find a fan base as these films are being made to be seen.:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark:

Can't thank you enough for posting that link. My wife has never asked more questions about how a particular movie stunt/scene was filmed than she has had about that particular number.

Moore does a better job with the telestrator than most football analysts on TV today! :D

:thumbsup:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Happy La La Land Day, everyone!

La La Land choreographer Mandy Moore gives us the breakdown on shooting the film's opening number, "Another Day of Sun":

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/la-la-land-another-day-of-sun-song-video

Mark

Yeah, like Whatever!

Makes me hate the film even more, 'cause the REAL singers and dancers, Jeanette and Nelson and Fred and Ginger and Gene didn't have all the digital crap.

Their work was organic. It's stood the test of time.

This thing?

Talent always beats technical crap.

Hidden cuts!?

Seriously? You can see them a mile away.

Just...

Meh...

I'll take Indian Love Song any day over this crap moderne.

They had Atmos for "When I'm calling you..."

And decided they didn't need it.

Quality, especially boxy and b & w, aces tech out every time.

Hated this picture.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Why do the lovers of the film feel the need to so strenuously defend it...going so far as to engage in hysterical sarcasm? It's a huge success - negative criticism won't remove one dollar or one award from its coffers.

I found it to be a marvelous production, technically (but with that kind of budget, there would be no excuse for it not to be), but it left me cold. I didn't care enough about the characters to get engaged with it.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Beat the naysayers to it this time!

Robert, you scared me for a moment... I thought your cup had suddenly changed to half empty! :)

HOORAY... My 4K Blu-ray was just delivered a day earlier than I expected. After lunch, I'm grabbing some popcorn and sitting down to enjoy this superb film in 4K! :banana:

Mark

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Beat the naysayers to it this time!
And I'll even bet those naysayers hated Ryan's Daughter, too;
now there's a film that's had way too many posts, already.:rolleyes:
NOTE: This was a self-deprecating post...please, no detour discussions upon that Irish film.
Henceforth, this is strictly moderated thread in total, if not 99 percent, favor of La-La Land.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks