What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Straight Shooting – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In early 1917, when Straight Shooting went into production, its star, Harry Carey, had appeared in over 130 films, initially as a Biograph player, and then at Bison and The Universal Film Manufacturing Company.

His director on Straight Shooting, a 23 year-old from Maine, Jack Ford, was directing his first film.

Something that caught my attention - actually a couple of times - probably in the final 15 minutes or so of the film, was the way that Mr. Carey stood in a doorway, and it took me forward in time four decades to another actor, standing in a similar doorway, in a very similar fashion.

Kudos to The Universal Film Manufacturing Company for restoring this 1917 silent (the disc has a very workable score), and to Kino for releasing it, to what must be a limited market for Jack Ford films.

103 years old, and it looks like nicely loved film, cleaned up a tad, but still showing the ravages of time. The original element from the Library of Congress.

A very good early feature, by a young filmmaker and it's star, who had obviously seen a few Griffith films. One can also consider this the official beginning of the Ford Stock Company.

An extremely important historical document, that still plays.

A video essay from Tag Gallagher, who also penned the enclosed booklet, as well as an audio commentary by Joseph McBride, are the extras.

For those who have a desire to learn more about the work of this young filmmaker, no better place to go than here:

Image – 3.5

Audio – n/a

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Absolutely! Is there a proper DVD?

Very Highly Recommended

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I know the film pretty well, but I'm looking forward to Kino's blu upgrade and hopefully a nice, new score. Looking even more forward to "Hell Bent" (1918), which I've never seen. I know John Ford is the big selling point, but I'd also be keen to see some of the other, non-Ford 'Harry Carey' Universals, for comparison's sake. I think B. Reaves Eason (among others) directed a few. Universal was such a powerhouse of an assembly-line, producing slick, well-made westerns in the silent era, from features to serials to two-reelers.

Harry Carey left Universal pretty early on, in 1921, with his later silents distributed by FBO, PDC and Pathe, for the most part. "Beyond the Border" (1925) and "The Prairie Pirate" (1925) have been around the collectors circuit for decades. And the George Eastman House restored "Roaring Rails" (1924) in recent years, and it even got a spotlight airing on TCM not too long ago. That one had a very young Frankie Darro in it, a few years before he became the 'kid' sidekick to Tom Tyler in his late-20s FBO series. I think "Border Patrol" (1928) is another surviving Cary title that's floating around, but I've not encountered it.

Anyway, I find it pretty darned exciting, having both "Straight Shooting" and "Hell Bent" out on blu, via Kino, joining with the previous availability of "Bucking Broadway" (courtesy of Criterion).

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
"Something that caught my attention - actually a couple of times - probably in the final 15 minutes or so of the film, was the way that Mr. Carey stood in a doorway, and it took me forward in time four decades to another actor, standing in a similar doorway, in a very similar fashion."

In William K. Everson's John Ford class at NYU, he showed "Straight Shooting" & "The Searchers" on the same day, no doubt to emphasize that doorway, and the way it resonated. I haven't seen "Straight Shooting" since then. Can't wait!

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'm super excited for this and Hell Bent. Always glad for any early John Ford/Harry Carey films. The Duke always held the late elder Carey in high regard. It's a pity so many of Harry Carey's work are lost to time like the 1916 Western "The Three Godfathers" and John Ford's 1919 "Marked Men". I really enjoyed "Bucking Broadway" another silent John Ford-Harry Carey Western which was included on Criterion's release of Stagecoach.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks