What's new

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Which seems odd considering Parts II and III were shot at the same time, back to back. Seems like they would have used all the same technology, film stock, etc., which would have them looking/sounding nearly identical based on technical specs.
There are a ton of opticals in the second one. There aren't nearly as many effects shots in the third one, and much of it was shot outdoors in bright light.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I was considering this set as I am also considering a jump to 4K, but the description of the packaging makes it a no-go. I have nothing against these fancy shelf hogs and digibooks for those who like them, but I'd even pay extra for plain vanilla packaging such as you get for the average six/seven or less-disk TV series. Those hold and protect the disks while making them easy to get out.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I was considering this set as I am also considering a jump to 4K, but the description of the packaging makes it a no-go. I have nothing against these fancy shelf hogs and digibooks for those who like them, but I'd even pay extra for plain vanilla packaging such as you get for the average six/seven or less-disk TV series. Those hold and protect the disks while making them easy to get out.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was considering this set as I am also considering a jump to 4K, but the description of the packaging makes it a no-go.

As has been well documented here, I hate the packaging of the new set. However, I would absolutely encourage you to buy it anyway. Even in the included Blu-rays, the films look much better than their previous releases, and the new supplements are a great addition to almost everything carried over from the 2002, 2010 and 2015 releases.

I took them out of the book and put them in sleeves which fit snugly between the pages of the book facing up. It's not ideal, but it works better than what Universal offered.

Dealing with the crappy packaging is worth it for these discs.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
But seriously...Universal has been releasing these about every five years or so now.

At this point, what will be left for them to use to lure buyers again in 2025? :laugh:
Maybe 2025 will produce an 8K commemorative gift-set collection; inclusive of a “Back to the FORMATS” reel of the film in optional 16mm Optical or Super 8 Magnetic Sound(Color/Excerpts) from Castle Films. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The Best Buy Steelbook edition is a viable option for those who just can't stand the packaging; Rick says he'd gladly pay a premium for vanilla packaging. Steelbooks aren't exactly vanilla but the disc access is easy and safe.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
As long as you can find steelbooks that are undamaged, yes.

I got lucky - mine arrived in fine condition although the top left corner of the slipcover was flattened; I can't get too worked up about it. Ultimately, isn't slightly damaged packaging better than damaged discs ?

Canadian collectors have no real choice but to order Best Buy's steelbooks online for delivery as the best titles sell out by release day and very few of them actually end up on store shelves, let alone in quantities large enough to allow you to compare multiple copies for defects.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
IUltimately, isn't slightly damaged packaging better than damaged discs ?

I get that. But I just got fed up with it. The steelbooks are a $20 premium over the regular edition, which would be fine with me if they were in good condition. But especially after looking through four copies and finding them all scratched, I just couldn't justify paying a hefty premium for damaged cases, so I've moved my discs into sleeves that I placed within the book packaging.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I get that. But I just got fed up with it. The steelbooks are a $20 premium over the regular edition, which would be fine with me if they were in good condition. But especially after looking through four copies and finding them all scratched,

These three SteelBooks are packaged in a slipcover box with spacers to separate each case. They're better protected than most SteelBooks ever are. I still think it's possible that what you saw as "scratches" on the spines was really the crease of the shrinkwrap.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I still think it's possible that what you saw as "scratches" on the spines was really the crease of the shrinkwrap.

Respectfully, I know what I saw. I saw the crease on the shrinkwrap, and I also saw scratches separate from the creases. The scratches appeared in different places on different sets. They were obviously damaged from the factory before they had gotten to the store, which means it is a manufacturing issue before it got to the store. We also know that other people here got steelbooks and didn't have this issue, so not all copies are damaged. Just all copies that were available at my store, and the one that was shipped to my home.

Spine slashes happen from time to time. I also have a spine slash on a Criterion I got from B&N during the last 50% off sale in July. The difference is I accepted that one because I wasn't paying extra for the packaging on that one.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finally watched the set. 1 on Thursday night, since it was a red letter date in the history of science and all, and the other two last night. Just Blu for me.

And there was no comparison between the two sets. The 25th Anniversary set looked pretty crappy, and I thought so even then. The new set looked wonderful.

The new set looked good enough that it has me questioning whether I should eventually go 4K and see what all the fuss is about.

Genoman

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene O'Brien
But seriously...Universal has been releasing these about every five years or so now.

At this point, what will be left for them to use to lure buyers again in 2025? :laugh:

Well for one thing, perhaps releasing the print of Part III as I saw it in the theater when it was released would be nice.

That print included the scene where Marshal Strickland gets shot as well as a scene referencing D.W. Griffith. The former has been released as a deleted scene on a previous release or two. The latter has not as far as I know.

The D.W. Griffith bit occurred after the shootout with Buford Tannen. A kid steps out of the crowd and asks:

Kid: "Hey mister! Where'd you learn to shoot like that?"

Marty: "From a movie."

Kid: "What's a movie?"

Marty: "You'll find out"

Kid's mom as she pulls him back: "D.W. Griffith! You get back here!"

Again, I only saw that print in the theater on release and every video release after that had had both scenes mentioned excised from the film with only the Marenal Strickland shooting added as an extra.

I would love to see Part III released as originally released.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Well for one thing, perhaps releasing the print of Part III as I saw it in the theater when it was released would be nice.

That print included the scene where Marshal Strickland gets shot as well as a scene referencing D.W. Griffith. The former has been released as a deleted scene on a previous release or two. The latter has not as far as I know.

The D.W. Griffith bit occurred after the shootout with Buford Tannen. A kid steps out of the crowd and asks:

Kid: "Hey mister! Where'd you learn to shoot like that?"

Marty: "From a movie."

Kid: "What's a movie?"

Marty: "You'll find out"

Kid's mom as she pulls him back: "D.W. Griffith! You get back here!"

Again, I only saw that print in the theater on release and every video release after that had had both scenes mentioned excised from the film with only the Marenal Strickland shooting added as an extra.

I would love to see Part III released as originally released.
That was also in the novelization, but it wasn't in the released film. I'd read the book the week before the movie came out and saw the movie opening night and remembered that bit from the book was not in the finished film.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So I wonder why that scene didn't make the final cut? Possibly because of the fact that D.W. Griffith grew up in Kentucky? Or maybe because the joke was lost on the majority of viewers who had no idea who Griffith was?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I got the Steelbook set too. The outer box packaging was slightly dented on the corner from how Best Buy just used an envelope instead of a box. The steelbook’s are safe. I’m not a big steelbook collector, but for certain titles, they are fun. :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So I wonder why that scene didn't make the final cut? Possibly because of the fact that D.W. Griffith grew up in Kentucky? Or maybe because the joke was lost on the majority of viewers who had no idea who Griffith was?
I think it was both the latter and that The Birth of A Nation has been considered since it's release to be a false narrative and was denigrating to African-Americans to the point of endangering their lives.
1607245116730.png

1607245289524.png

Genoman

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene O'Brien
That was also in the novelization, but it wasn't in the released film. I'd read the book the week before the movie came out and saw the movie opening night and remembered that bit from the book was not in the finished film.

I never read the book. Didn't know that there was one. But I can tell you that I DID see a print of this film with both scenes in it.

I'm going with the latter...

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I was at Best Buy today and saw they had several steel book sets left. I scrutinized all of them (perhaps 7 sets) and found one that had seemingly undamaged steel books. Though the outer box of all of them were VERY bad. But the steel boxes themselves looked good on the one I bought. Most of them had very visible damage.

When I got them home and opened it up, there was a SLIGHT scratch on the front of the steel book of the first movie, but it’s easy enough to ignore. I wish they made them more durable, as I like the idea of them but they are just so prone to damage. But I’m glad I got these, as it was a particularly cool idea to have them all line up. One of my favorite trilogies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks