What's new

A few thoughts about.....LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just checked my two local Best Buys which got new shipments of LTROI on Blu Ray and there is no indication on the packaging that the subtitles have been changed to the theatrical one.

Also, I assume that Magnet is still maintaining their "we will not exchange for current owners" policy?

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Also, I assume that Magnet is still maintaining their "we will not exchange for current owners" policy?
Yep. Jerks.

And they've lost out on sales of Splinter, Mutant Chronicles and Timecrimes as a result.

All because they couldn't be bothered to do a simple exchange for a consumer who bought their product on good faith. Not to beat a dead horse, I just get mad when I start thinking about it again.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
The regular DVD replacement edition does say Theatrical Subtitles on the back, so the BD would as well. I am betting they just won't bother with the BD.

I wish digital bits and DVDfile.com would follow up on this because it is a big deal.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, at this point I am hoping that the UK BD is region free or at least coded Region A as well. It is supposed to have the theatrical subtitles. The other concerns would be that it has as good a transfer as the domestic release and lossless audio.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
I think it's possible the Blu-Ray version hasn't sold out yet. The DVD probably sold faster, hence the new versions being available sooner. At least I hope that's what's going on.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Simon Massey

Apparently its been confirmed that the UK release will have the theatrical subtitles.
Now I just have to hope its not region locked!!!

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/let-the-right-one-in2.html
My new Oppo BDP-83 arrives on Wednesday, but the hardware mod to make it region free arrived today. Point is, this is one of many great examples of the fact that region free players are a must.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I know you can modify regions for DVD but didnt know you could do the same for Bluray regions. How reliable are these mods. I had my DVD player modified in 1999 when I first bought it and never needed to worry again.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
It would appear thankfully that the disc is region free so anyone wanting to get the theatrical subtitles can get it from UK
Disappointingly no lossless audio included but does also include an audio commentary.
Oh well I have had enough of waiting to see this film since everyone says its so good.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=5799&show=review

Znook

Auditioning
Real Name
Znook
If you're talking about the UK LTROI I can guarantee it's NOT region free but region locked to zone B. It also contains a video glitch, albeit of 1 frame duration, toward the end of the movie. Yes, it's hardly noticeable but it is there. The first deleted scene also contains video glitches, in this case color blocking. In spite of these issues, and assuming your player can play it, it's still a recommended purchase due to the addition of the English commentary as well as the correct subtitles.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Znook

If you're talking about the UK LTROI I can guarantee it's NOT region free but region locked to zone B.
Well, I'd be very curious to know how you arrived at this since the review on blu-ray.com and a number of other sources claim it is region free. I certainly hope you're wrong, as I have it on order. I guess I will be finding out for myself very shortly.

http://uk.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=5799&show=regioncoding

Znook

Auditioning
Real Name
Znook
I can only base my findings on the UK disc that I recently got (a pre-order 26th July '09) from Amazon UK. It's possible, though highly unlikely, that Momentum have quietly re-released the disc (due to the video glitches I mentioned in my previous post), and further I'd be surprised if they had now made it region free. However with those region-free reports you mention I'm now very intrigued; when you get your disc please post back with your findings as it could indeed indicate that a new pressing has been issued.

Znook

Auditioning
Real Name
Znook
I've been looking more into this and I'm getting the feeling that the first UK release batches are region locked and have the video glitches, and that later batches are region-free and most likely free of any video artifacts. Paul, when you get your disc and assuming it's region-free (and I'm now sure it will be), could you please check out the first deleted scene for the color blocking that occurs approx. 6-9 seconds in. If you don't see it then that confirms the disc is a new pressing, and I'll be looking at getting my faulty copy exchanged. Thanks.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Znook, I received my disc today oddly enough. It is region free; or at least Region A/B. I checked the first deleted scene, and, yes, I see the color blocking that occurs about 11-12 seconds into that scene. There was some mention of white lines occurring at 102 minutes and 53 seconds into the movie. I do not see those.

It also contains a video glitch, albeit of 1 frame duration, toward the end of the movie. Yes, it's hardly noticeable but it is there.
Do you know what the time code is for this glitch?

Znook

Auditioning
Real Name
Znook
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

Do you know what the time code is for this glitch?
Paul, thanks for checking this out. I've checked back to my posts on another forum and it was during the 1:42:53 second mark so you appear to be at the correct spot. The actual frame was one toward the end of this second, say frame 20 or 21, and it showed as a sort of repetitive horizontal lines disturbance, easily seen if you looked at the vertical black lines on the right of the picture. If you frame advance throughout this second and don't notice anything then it sure looks like this region-free disc has been fixed. If this is so, then I'll get my copy exchanged as I'm not too bothered about the deleted scene issue. Thanks once again for your help in this.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Znook, I will go frame-by-frame through that section for you tonight.

Additionally, on blu-ray.com there is a thread concerning this release and the owner of the Swedish BD has this to say about the deleted scene error:

I'd say it's a problem with the original master, as my Swedish Bluray has exactly the same glitch at the same spot. All the disc menus are identical on both editions too so the UK edition looks to be a clone.
Given this, I'd say a fix for the deleted scene issue is unlikely.

Znook

Auditioning
Real Name
Znook

Znook, I will go frame-by-frame through that section for you tonight.
Many thanks Paul for offering to do this and I look forward to your reply.

Znook

Auditioning
Real Name
Znook

Znook, no problem. I went through 1:42:52 - 1:42:55 frame-by-frame and didn't notice anything unusual.
Thanks Paul! So I reckon something like this has happened; Momentum Pictures got the first batch of discs back from the disc manufacturer and found the deleted scene issue. They contacted the company to tell them of this and a new region-free pressing was done. When Momentum checked the new copy they've noticed the blocking is still there and, upon discovering the source file is also affected, they've gone ahead and released all of them. However, the disc master for the first batch must have had some sort of minute dust speck on the main feature, that Momentum never noticed whilst QCing the video, which on the new master is no longer there.

Anyway, whatever was the cause, from your results I'm going to get my copy exchanged. I just hope I don't end up getting another region-locked version. Thanks once again for your help.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Znook, no problem. Good luck with your exchange. I'm not sure why purchasing this particular title needs to be so damn difficult between messed up subtitles, lack of HD audio, and encoding errors it is enough to drive one batty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks