What's new

A few questions about players, connections etc. (1 Viewer)

Joshuah

Auditioning
Just a few days ago I picked up my first DVD player. An entry level Panasonic.
Link Removed
It lacks progressive scan and other cool functions like DVD-RAM, DVD Audio and is a pretty bare bones player.
It's complete list of features can be seen here.
Link Removed
The other model I was looking at was a Hitachi player that had a real cool retro look and it supported progressive scan.
My first question is, does a progressive scan player provide a better picture on a regular analog television? Will the picture look sharper, more colorful compared to the Panasonic's video output?
And finally I was wondering about the s-video cable I bought. I own a Samsung 27" television with an s-video input. I purchased a crazy expensive s-video cable from acoustic research, it's called the "Master Series."
99.99% pure oxygen-free copper center conductor delivers optimum high-frequency signal transfer.
Locking, precision-machined RCA connectors with 24k gold-plated split center pins for superior fit and signal transfer.
It talks about noise reduction and stuff ike that. At my level in the game would that even apply to me? Would a cheaper cable suffice?
Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
>>> does a progressive scan player provide a better picture on a regular analog television?
Generally no, the (interlaced output) picture would be the same compared with a "regular" DVD player.
There is an exception except I "kinda" doubt if many progressive players do it:
For letting the DVD player downconvert the anamorphic DVD picture to play on a 4:3 only TV set, a progressive player can theoretically do it better. In the case of a regular TV, such a player would convert to progressive scan, then downconvert, and then pick out odd or even scan lines to re-interlace for best results.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidscale.htm
Progressive output only appears at the component outputs when the switch is set for progressive, and it will not produce a viewable picture on a standard TV.

Joshuah

Auditioning
Very cool, thanks for the help man. Sometimes I do dream of having a HD,plasma, widescreen television with a DVD like Monsters Inc. running on it at a blazing 1080i.
Hopefully all this university stuff will pay-off. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks