A few questions about players, connections etc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshuah, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Joshuah

Joshuah Auditioning

Just a few days ago I picked up my first DVD player. An entry level Panasonic.
    [​IMG]
    It lacks progressive scan and other cool functions like DVD-RAM, DVD Audio and is a pretty bare bones player.
    It's complete list of features can be seen here.
    http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...goryId=%202977
    The other model I was looking at was a Hitachi player that had a real cool retro look and it supported progressive scan.
    My first question is, does a progressive scan player provide a better picture on a regular analog television? Will the picture look sharper, more colorful compared to the Panasonic's video output?
    And finally I was wondering about the s-video cable I bought. I own a Samsung 27" television with an s-video input. I purchased a crazy expensive s-video cable from acoustic research, it's called the "Master Series."

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> does a progressive scan player provide a better picture on a regular analog television?
    Generally no, the (interlaced output) picture would be the same compared with a "regular" DVD player.
    There is an exception except I "kinda" doubt if many progressive players do it:
    For letting the DVD player downconvert the anamorphic DVD picture to play on a 4:3 only TV set, a progressive player can theoretically do it better. In the case of a regular TV, such a player would convert to progressive scan, then downconvert, and then pick out odd or even scan lines to re-interlace for best results.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidscale.htm
    Progressive output only appears at the component outputs when the switch is set for progressive, and it will not produce a viewable picture on a standard TV.

3. Joshuah

Joshuah Auditioning

Very cool, thanks for the help man. Sometimes I do dream of having a HD,plasma, widescreen television with a DVD like Monsters Inc. running on it at a blazing 1080i.
    Hopefully all this university stuff will pay-off. [​IMG]