What's new

A Definative Exorcist Version? (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
Is it true Warner Bros. is putting out a definative Exorcist Version, anyone know anything about this?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
before I start, I apologize for the upcoming complaint, but it's spelled DEFINITIVE.
(spelling edited and checked :D )

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have not heard anything about it, but what is meant by "definitive"? My personal feeling is that the anniversary edition DVD was the definitive Exorcist, but I guess there is still room for a 2-disc set with both versions, which I would call "comprehensive" moreso than "definitive".
Regards,

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, Iam not a Grammer Expert:) SO no one knows if there is going to be a End all be all of the Exorcist on DVD

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
David, David, David...
Shame, shame. You post only to correct someones spelling of the word definitive and then misspell complaint (with out a T). Either that or your grammar was wrong and you meant to say complain. ;)
Scott,
My mom was an English Teacher and she would have been all over me about confusing Spelling and Grammar.
I hope there is an edition released with both versions, but I would pick up the anniversary one in the meantime. It is a great edition.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Aaaargh no more spelling mistake pleaseee! j/k LOL. I've just finished convincing one of my buddy that definAtely is a spelling error.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
What we need is a truly definitive version that marries the anamorphic widescreen of the 25th Anniversary edition with the fabulous 5.1 track of the original P&S version. Why that wasn't included on either the widescreen side of that disc or the 25th Ann. is beyond me. (Yes, I own all three versions released thus far. I'm a sick, sick man)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Mark, I think it was because, great as I agree it was, the added disembodied echo to Linda Blair's voice was probably done without Friedkin's consent. Except for that, I agree that the original DVD 5.1 remix was the best. (I mean, if her voice is echoing, could there have been a doubt from day one that she was possessed? The movie would have ended after one hour.)

And in the original 5.1 mix, when she vomits in Karras' face, the sound effect is so loud that you just jump out of your skin. This did not happen in the theater on Version You've Never Seen -- a disappointment.

I don't care for the Version You've Never Seen mix -- too much has changed, eerie music cues turned down so low you can hardly hear them (the howling wind effect over the sign at the Barringer Clinic seems to be gone, for example, followed by a BARELY audible Tubular Bells). When the house shakes during the exorcism it does RUMBLE more, but it's not as LOUD. It sounds like a small earthquake, whereas in the original 5.1, it sounds like somebody smashed a friggin' truck into the house.

I would like to see with The Exoricist the same thing I'd like to see with the Star Wars films -- seamless branching, so you can create your own cut of the film. I'd like to be able to insert the added VYNS scenes into the original cut, so I don't have to watch those stupid added digital effects.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if the Creative Design Art boxset of the Exorcist the "version you've never seen" (also known as: The version you've sorta seen via the extras) or the original version?

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Brad:

I have the The Creative Design Art Signature Series Box Set of "The Exorcist" and it includes the 25th Anniversary Version of the film with the original gold "Special Edition" banner across the top of the DVD case(Warner no longer uses

this gold banner on this package, but I really like it). By the way, it's a great box set for anyone who's a big fan of the film like myself.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Thanks Tony. I already own the SE version and was thinking about the CDA version. Although, I did buy the Matrix boxset and already owned the Matrix, I just gave the extra copy to my dad.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Accordion two may spill check her, ovary whirred eye taped whiz spilled core act glee. May bee aye shoot tern ankh me grandma chucker?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Someone said above that the P&S on the first flipper had an awesome 5.1 mix. What about the w/s side? I had that disc but unloaded it when I got the 25th anni edition. I also have the VYNS as well.

Should I find the old one again? Is it worth it?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The widescreen side on the 1st release had a Dolby Surround track. Why? Don't ask me, ask the dunderheads at Warner Home Video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks