What's new

A couple of hard-to-find items at Radio Shack??? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i went to a couple of radio-shacks on friday looking for the analog spl & the model 1994 universal remote that seems to be pretty popular here.

unfortunately i ran into a couple of snags...
  1. spl: apparantly they are no longer carrying this. it seems most people recommend the analog model over the digital. any thoughts?
  2. universal remote: they are replacing this with the RCA remote that you see everywhere. it seems like a decent remote, but afaik, it doesn't do macros. any thoughts?[/list=a]

so, i'm going to check a couple of other stores tomorrow, but do you think i'll have to go the replacement route. i think i'm okay with the digital spl, but i really didn't want a universal that didn't have (at least minimal) macro capabilities.

i guess another possibility is ordering online? anyone have good/bad experience doing this?

tia...

------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

[Edited last by Ted Lee on September 16, 2001 at 10:51 PM]

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
^bump^
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Ted,
Radioshacks newest catalog shows new remotes in the same image as the 15-1994. They are not the RCA styled remotes. If they are not out now I'm sure they will be soon. As for the analog spl meter, it is still an active part number in the US. If none of the Radioshacks in your area have one you should not have any trouble buying one from them online. I personally have had only good experiences when buying online. When I knew what I wanted anyway. I would never suggest trying to "find" something from them online as descriptions are lacking and the phone reps don't usually know any more either. Best of luck to you.
Dan Hine

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks lee -
i went to another rat-shack on the way home and (although they had to dig) they were able to find the last one! yay!
now on to tweakdom...
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Why is the analog meter recommended over the digital meter?
------------------
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So the 15-1994?
If I have a 5 disc carousel DVD player and a 5 disc carousel CD player, how should I program the DISC assignments? The numbers are already handy for tracks, so i don't want to use those keys up. What would you use with that remote to program the individual discs (5 discs, so I need 5 buttons. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a disc skip from remote for either.)
Any ideas?
[Edited last by Chris PC on September 17, 2001 at 07:28 PM]

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
quote:
Why is the analog meter recommended over the digital meter?
[/quote]
I've never used the digital model myself, but I've seen other posts where they said it's easier to follow (and remember) the needle on the analog instead of a bunch of digital numbers that tend to fluctuate...
Sean
edit
Chris PC had a much better explanation posted on another thread:
The difference is, you see a needle on a gauge. Some don't like the digital readout because its not as precise. The analouge shows differences in dB's that is smaller than 1 dB. So it measures fractions of dB's.
If the sound is not constant, and fluctuates, with the analog, you can make a rough estimate of the average. With the digital meter, the numbers are constantly changing, so its a little harder to read. The digital meter has a great way around this though, it can take an average over time. So you test for 5 seconds and get one reading. Pretty cool.
Hope you don't mind Chris :)
/edit
[Edited last by Sean Parque on September 17, 2001 at 08:32 PM]

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
quote: If I have a 5 disc carousel DVD player and a 5 disc carousel CD player, how should I program the DISC assignments? The numbers are already handy for tracks, so i don't want to use those keys up. What would you use with that remote to program the individual discs (5 discs, so I need 5 buttons. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a disc skip from remote for either.)[/quote]
When I programmed in the code for my CD player (a Sony 5 disc), the right arrow was already programmed as disc skip, the up arrow was next track and the down arrow was previous track. I don't have direct disc access programmed...I just hit the skip button a few times if needed.
EDIT: I just had a thought....you could use the shift (P) key and program the numbers 1-5 to be discs 1-5. For instance, Shift 1 would be disc 1.
quote: Radioshacks newest catalog shows new remotes in the same image as the 15-1994.[/quote]
Does anyone know if these are "improvements" to the original 15-1994, or should I be buying a backup remote ASAP?
Michael
------------------
[Edited last by Michael Johnston on September 17, 2001 at 09:29 PM]
[Edited last by Michael Johnston on September 17, 2001 at 09:30 PM]

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
From http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=15%2D2104

From http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/ :
The ever popular 15-1994 remote has been discontinued and will be replaced by the new 15-2104 (pictured to the right). I don't have any additional info on this new remote at this point but it looks pretty similar to the 15-1994. As soon as it becomes available I will try and get one and report back, in the meantime better grab up the last few 15-1994s while you can!
I hope RadioShack didn't ruin a great remote!
Michael
------------------

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
This new remote does not look as well laid out as the 15-1994. I really liked the big channel and vol. buttons on the 1994! But if they up'ed the memory I might be able to over look the new button design. I doubt they did as they are still indicating there is only 4 learning buttons.
frown.gif

Wes
I found Radio Shacks 1" soft dome mylar tweeters that had been priced out at $19.99 now closed out at $.97 Ea. I found 7 of them for the new theater I am building. Great tweeter and what a price!!
Wes
[Edited last by Wes on September 17, 2001 at 10:45 PM]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Apparantly, that 15-1994 is in stock at my local Radio Shack. I should scoop it up, eh? It's a learning remote, right? I teach the commands of the other remotes, just ike I have with the RC6200, Marantz SR 6200 remote?
Are you telling me it has a shift key? So I could, like you said, program the buttons 1-9 and 0 with functions other than track index 1,2,3 etc? Like 1 through 5 for disc one through 5?
That Radio Shack remote sounds kick ass for the price. Why would anyone want a $349.00 RC2000?
What remote commands or functions from my RCVR, CD, DVD, LD, TV and VCR would I need to have special consideration for? I wonder if there are important RCVR functions I would miss out on? Basically I want to do what nearly everyone else wants to do, and that is, program every single button and command into another single remote. I have 6 things and likely won't get another, I hope.
[Edited last by Chris PC on September 17, 2001 at 10:51 PM]

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
Chris:
You have to go to two places where you can get all the info you could ever hope for regarding this remote. The first is remotecentral.com where there is a forum called OFA. OFA stands for One for All which makes the RS unit, and there is as much info on the 15-1994 there as the OFA version, the Cinema 7. Then, go to Rob's site, hifi-remote.com where all the "advanced codes" you will need to program the remote the way you want, and the instructions on how to do so, can be found.
SMK

Han

Second Unit
I grabbed a 15-1994 a while back even though I don't use it as my regular remote. It works great for putting in advanced codes from hifi-remote.com in order to teach my Home Theater Master MX-500. The two together is still relatively cheap compared to the Prontos and such. The 15-1994 is definitely useful to have around even if you're not going to use it to control your equipment.

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
I have found the 1994 model excellent for my use. My only issue is not having Volume-Punch-Through. I wonder if the new model has that..

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
My only issue is not having Volume-Punch-Through
Dale - would you mind explaining that feature? Doesn't it have something to do with the volume controlling a different component than what the remote is set to?
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Vin

Supporting Actor
I have found the 1994 model excellent for my use. My only issue is not having Volume-Punch-Through.
But you can learn the volume controls of your receiver in every device mode which is what I've done.
Just thought I'd mention these two things in case you guys weren't aware.....I couldn't be sure based on your comments.
Hope this helps.
patriot.gif

------------------

I have the One-For-All Cinema 7. It is virtually the same as the RS 1994, with volume punch through. I personally prefer the layout of the OFA to the RS. As far as I know, it is still in production and easily found.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Volume punch through?
So is the 1994 like the regular remote that came with my Marantz SR 6200 receiver, in that I teach it commands by pointing my other remote at it, etc? What are the extra learning codes? I'll go check that out I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks