What's new

80's and 90's tv shows on bluray wishlist (1 Viewer)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I made a previous post for 50's - 70's shows . This is more of a wishlist and what people would love to see on bluray .
No need for a list of everything available , just your favorites and if you know of blurays from any country that may help others find what their looking for .

My all time favourite from the 90's

Highlander the TV series ( they did the first 3 years on bluray and majorly screwed them up ) But season 2 and 3 are are better then there dvd counterparts ) I been trying to get a hold of 3 and can't find it anywhere. With some better effort they could have easily completed this set and remastered season 1 better ) But lame excuses as far as the negatives were in a fire was nonsense (nothing was in a fire) This show a good cult following and is so much better then the movies in my opinion ...anyway moving on .

Renegade (35mm) Can easily be done
Early Edition (Film but edited on Video)
Nypd Blue (Video for most part )
Walker, Texas Ranger (Super 16mm)
Friday the 13th TV series (35mm) Those dvds they put out are painful
Married with Children (Video) never going to happen :( Dvd's will have to do for this.
Dynasty (35mm)

X-Files and Friends got great bluray sets (But they were also filmed on HQ stuff)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
With the unfortunate (in my opinion) move toward streaming and away from discs/ownership, for whatever time remains for disc media I'd rather see companies focus their time and resources putting out shows that haven't yet been released at all, and not just Blu-rays for shows that at least have a DVD already out.

That said, I would gladly purchase a Blu-ray of a complete Dallas set (original series and the TV movies). Besides the fact that it's one of my favorite shows from that period, the DVD sets used double-sided discs and I'd like to see that corrected.

Beyond that, there are still plenty of shows from the 50s thu the 90s that have never been released at all which I would purchase whether as a Blu-ray or DVD.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Off the top of my head, I'd like to see Millennium come to Blu-ray. Even if The X-Files sold great for Fox, I think their nearly non-existent commitment to TV shows on Blu-ray (they've abandoned alot of their current shows so forget about releasing older ones) doesn't make me hopeful for Millennium getting a Blu-ray.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
With the unfortunate (in my opinion) move toward streaming and away from discs/ownership, for whatever time remains for disc media I'd rather see companies focus their time and resources putting out shows that haven't yet been released at all, and not just Blu-rays for shows that at least have a DVD already out.

That said, I would gladly purchase a Blu-ray of a complete Dallas set (original series and the TV movies). Besides the fact that it's one of my favorite shows from that period, the DVD sets used double-sided discs and I'd like to see that corrected.

Beyond that, there are still plenty of shows from the 50s thu the 90s that have never been released at all which I would purchase whether as a Blu-ray or DVD.
Dallas of course would be awesome for bluray (it would probably cost a fortune with 14 seasons ) . I'm still kind of shocked they cancelled the new series without an ending , It was so much better then a lot of the junk /crap out these days .

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
A-Team looks fabulous in HD on Netflix, so that would be one of the first things I'd want to see.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Off the top of my head, I'd like to see Millennium come to Blu-ray. Even if The X-Files sold great for Fox, I think their nearly non-existent commitment to TV shows on Blu-ray (they've abandoned alot of their current shows so forget about releasing older ones) doesn't make me hopeful for Millennium getting a Blu-ray.

I too would love Millennium to have a Blu-Ray release, but I agree with you: Fox seems to have lost interest in Blu-ray format. If The X-Files sold well enough, perhaps it will prompt the studio to at least consider Millennium or Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the latter is more likely to receive a BD release).

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I do know what blurays are and there capabilities and I'm not really picking shows that were filmed and edited on video tape , Maybe other people are . I thought it would be a fun thread . And I would take a nicely condensed bluray of SD DVD material of something that is taking up a huge amount of space in 10 volumes of dvd's like to have it on SD/Bluray . ( I hate stacked dvd like the mill creek stuff) Not asking for the Star Trek ,Batman , Lost in space Restoration . You would be surprised what technology can do to a properly restored remastered sound tv show . Have fun !

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Dallas of course would be awesome for bluray (it would probably cost a fortune with 14 seasons ) . I'm still kind of shocked they cancelled the new series without an ending , It was so much better then a lot of the junk /crap out these days .

Best case scenario it's technically doable, but even then it won't be cheap. They switched to video post-production in 1986, and they did about 30 episodes a season, so the cost of finding and re-scanning negatives, recreating credits and possibly editing it as if it was brand new if the negatives themselves weren't conformed to the EDLs. Everything from 1978 to 1986* was on film so that would be easier, depending on what condition the negatives are in. It's still disappointing that the TNT series was DVD-only despite being on iTunes at a better-than-DVD-but-not-as-good-as-a-legitimate-Blu-Ray resolution. Almost as disappointing as the continued unavailability of the rest of Knots Landing in any format.

The Waltons was done entirely on film from start to finish, and if any show needs an upgrade from its DVD version, it's that. The masters they used there ranged from mediocre to dreadful.

Cheers has had HD masters available since the 2000s, and you'd think there'd be at least a first season release by now. Or are they waiting for its 35th anniversary next year?

Sony will probably get around to Seinfeld one of these days, but what about their other shows? DVD is as good as it's ever going to get for the Norman Lear/Bud Yorkin/Jerry Parenchio library and the two Witt/Thomas/Harris shows they own**, but what chance do you think they would spend the money to rebuild Designing Women in HD? It was a shoot-on-film-post-on-tape show, and it could look good remastered.

Fox owns a bunch of pre-1990s shows that need remastering desperately, both the ones they produced and the ones someone else produced, and could look as good as the remasters of Batman and Lost in Space do. But if they stopped releasing Simpsons DVDs, what chance is there of seeing the 1990s episodes, the ones everyone wants most anyway, rebuilt in HD? And they made a big deal about remastering M*A*S*H in the 1990s, but now I think it's time to pull the negatives out for a re-remastering.

Universal already has some HD masters available streaming. Murder She Wrote is in HD on Netflix and looks great. I would not be surprised to see that end up at Mill Creek in a complete set.

And then there's Disney. Golden Girls and most of their other 1980s-1990s sitcoms were shot on tape and are therefore locked into 480i resolution forever, with the possible exception of Dinosaurs. On the other hand, they are now selling four volumes Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers in what they claim to be HD for all but one of them, but that's the only Disney Afternoon show for which that's the case. And as for the Wonderful World of Disney, that's another one that's going to cost a lot and take awhile mainly because there's just so much stuff over so many years, and while I'm not sure of the exact year they switched to shoot-on-film-post-on-tape, I do know that there's a 1986 Disney Sunday Movie called The Christmas Star that's on iTunes and other places in HD.

Good luck getting videotaped shows from the 80's onto Blu-ray.

It's hard enough to get the studios to finish some of these on DVD as it is! That's about the best you can hope for with anything shot on tape that's not already out that ran long enough to develop a fan base.

*And let's face it, those were the best episodes anyway.
**Indeed, if one of them ever sees the light of day again.

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
It's hard enough to get the studios to finish some of these on DVD as it is! That's about the best you can hope for with anything shot on tape that's not already out that ran long enough to develop a fan base.

And, although blu-ray is pretty much a waste for videotaped shows (apart from storage space on the shelf), we must also remember that if the video masters aren't in the best of shape, they can look really crappy without a certain level of remastering. There's color grading, noise reduction, and other things that can make a shot-on-tape show look better than it would have looked in reruns during the '80s (for instance). One sterling example is many of the old game show reruns on GSN. Those got digitally remastered before going out on the channel, and those look way, way better than some of the videotaped stuff I've been seeing in syndication in other genres.

If a taped show's masters look bad, not many studios are going to want to spend the money to remaster, and if it already looks bad, may just decide to skip it rather than put out a terrible looking product that will likely raise the ire of fans anyway.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
And, although blu-ray is pretty much a waste for videotaped shows (apart from storage space on the shelf), we must also remember that if the video masters aren't in the best of shape, they can look really crappy without a certain level of remastering. There's color grading, noise reduction, and other things that can make a shot-on-tape show look better than it would have looked in reruns during the '80s (for instance). One sterling example is many of the old game show reruns on GSN. Those got digitally remastered before going out on the channel, and those look way, way better than some of the videotaped stuff I've been seeing in syndication in other genres.

If a taped show's masters look bad, not many studios are going to want to spend the money to remaster, and if it already looks bad, may just decide to skip it rather than put out a terrible looking product that will likely raise the ire of fans anyway.
Case in point being Press Your Luck. They showed the episodes where the dude "cheated," and they also integrated unaired footage. You could tell a world of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks