What's new

8" flared port?... (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
is there such a product as an 8" flared port? the most i've seen is 6". any help would be appreciated.

eric

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen them if there are. I have the 6" flares my self and they are 9.25" at the outside. 8" flares would be pretty big. I think at that point most are starting to use PR's for most high excursion, igh output subwoofers.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Like Shawn, I haven't heard of such a thing. If there were, someone would have posted here. The outside radius of an 8" flare would probably match that of a 12" woofer...pretty big and unmarketable.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
hey shawn, where'd you get your 6inchers? what kind of pipe did you use? if i want to use 4" ports, i'd need six of them! i'd only need three 6" ports though, but each would have to be roughly 33" long. where is a good place to get the 6" ports online, a few other links i found through the threads didn't work.

eric

Eric Eash

Second Unit
oh yeah, i've tried to get some help on this before, but no luck. what do you guys think about me using the bottom 4" of the box to make a slotted port. the box dimensions are huge, inner 46.5Hx36"Lx22"W. so i was thinking about putting a 4"Hx22"W hole at the bottom for a 28"L port. would be easier and cheaper than a bunch of flared ports. just not sure about performance and tuning.

eric

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Hello Eric,

I ordered the port flares from a local car audio dealer. The aero-ports as their called come from lightning audio/ rockford fosgate. They were actually hard to get at one time. They also go for about $50/set. a PR is only $65. the pipe itself can be found at any landcaping place or building supply. It is the thin wall 6" inside diametre 6.25 outside diametre pipe. It is usually green or white.

For some reason when you fit the pipe to the flare the
inside lip where the flare meets the pipe doesn't always match perfect. You may also have to feather sand the pipe edge to match the edge of the flares as the pipe can warp slightly from sitting in the hardware store.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

I bought 8" sonotube from the concrete section at Home Depot, it comes in a 48" length(which I used). They also have 10" and 12" tubes in the same length. The price was only $12/ea but it rang up as $6/ea. If you look into getting some make sure you measure the internal diameter before you leave the store. I had to return them at first because the sizes weren't exactly 8" ID. I saw variances from around 7-9". BTW, after adding polyfill my subs are now tuned to 16.3hz and calculating backwards with my vent size/length that gives me an effective volume of 9.3cu ft after adding 5lbs of polyfill. You can see some pics of my ports here:

http://groups.msn.com/homeaudio/shoe...oto&PhotoID=16

http://groups.msn.com/homeaudio/shoe...oto&PhotoID=17

Eric Eash

Second Unit
richard, just sent you an email. still haven't received them. i'm waiting on some other stuff that's taken awhile too, USPS just plain sucks. i'll sure let you and everyone else know once i get them though.

frank, how have the ports been working out for you. i'll have to let my dad know and maybe he can pick some up for me, cut it the size i need, and ship them over(to japan). my front enclosure wall will be 2" thick, so i might countersink the port only 1/4" or so, and use the rest to put more of a flare on it than you did. i still wish i could find someone to spin me up some aluminum flared ports, it would match the AVs so well.

eric

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 10" diameter port for my Blueprint 1803. The roundover is not very much though, only about 3/4 of an inch.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
mark, that's what i was planning on, but it seems they are more complex than i thought. i've gotten multiple lengths for a slotted port. many different equations have been suggested for a slotted port. there are also many different types, for example using one wall of the enclosure, or 3 like i want to. i've also heard about a different end correction with a slotted port. i've asked for professional help and will be getting it soon.

eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks