What's new

70mm It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World screenings at Cinerama Dome in Digital Sound! (1 Viewer)

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Saw this notice on the most recent Arclight Cinemas newsletter, relating to the Arclight Cinerama Dome complex --
10/17-19: "ITS A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD"

In the fall of 1963, two icons were born - the Cinerama Dome and Stanley Kramer's classic comedy. The new 40th Anniversary Special Edition print will be presented in 70mm and, for the first time, in digital sound with the legendary intermission and "police calls" voiced by Spencer Tracy and Terry-Thomas.
Anyone have any further details on this? Was a new 70mm print struck? Also, what's the length of this one? And does this mean a new DVD is forthcoming?

Pete SE

Agent
From what I've read at Google's rec.arts.movie.tech it is a new print. Possibly a "rectified" print for the Cinerama screen. It is not a "restored" print according to an MGM rep.although they may show some "restored" footage also.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Where is this showing and yes I want DVD info!!

I want this on DVD SOOOOO BAD!!!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It's the same running time as the current DVD, though the DVD doesn't have the police calls during intermission.

Jo_C

Second Unit
So, what you're saying, is that the print being screened is the general release version? Oh, boy. Looks like MGM isn't sanctioning the restoration Robert Harris is working on right now....or so it seems to me.

Pete SE

Agent
They said the restoration won't be complete in time to show it for the 40th Anniversary.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member

It's the 70mm version of the somewhat shortened (after initial showings) version I am told. It's not a general release print (those were in 35mm). It's newly struck - not restored, with a digital soundtrack. I don't believe it's a rectified print, just the standard non-Cinerama 70mm version. No matter, the Dome screen is only a 120 degree curve not the original Cinerama 146 degrees so a rectified print is not needed. The intermission radio calls will be included. Listed running time is 2 hours 45 minutes. This has nothing to do with a DVD release. A few days before the Hollywood premiere Cinerama Inc. was supposed to supply a special projection lens to the Dome. Unfortunately, they didn't have the money to pay for it. Arrangements were made for a loan and the lens was delivered. The Dome opened with the film 40 years ago with the paint still wet on the walls!

(Corrected) Go to www.Arclightcinemas.com for playdates.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
The 18th is my 30th Birthday!

Im in Sacramento. Im almost tempted to drive to LA to see this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks