What's new

70 MM Lawrence and 2001 at CineramaDome (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
My friend John Gordon and me stopped by the newly remodeled Cinerama Dome to see how it looks and sounds. I'm happy to report that the image is very nice. Edge to edge focus (a concern with a curved screen) was very good. Sound quality was excellent. We saw the last 10 minutes of XXX, and it was THUNDEROUS. This is the only theater I've ever been in that has surround speakers in a full 360 degree circle. They've done a good job with it.

Since John works in the pro side of movie theaters, we were able to get into the Dome's projection booth. It was exciting to see THREE projectors there, ready to project true Cinerama.

While we were talking to the projectionist, he mentioned that the Dome will be having a 70 MM film festival next month, including Lawrence of Arabia and 2001. It will be an exciting couple of months for LA movie buffs.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Great news, Robert.

You do know THIS IS CINERAMA is screening there in Cinerama in Oct., don't you? (A recently assembled trailer - in Cinerama as well - is now showing with xXx).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Gerardo, I know about the Cinerama Showing. The date's been set for a group of us to go--October 4. :)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
LOA preceeds the TIC showings by a week. There is a connection between the two! Anybody care to guess. Answer below:

The exploits of Lawrence were brought to American audiences by Lowell Thomas (who is portrayed in LOA as a ficticious person). Mr. Thomas was one of the investors and producers and stars(he appears in the prologue of TIC) of the Cinerama travelogues.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The 2001 announcement is tremendous.

Now, who all might be interested in attending screenings of this masterpiece in a commercial cinema that really is suited for such an exhibition? I tried to rally support for a group activity at The Egyptian when 2001 played in December, but, apparently, holidays interfered.

But in September? RobertR, you interested? Anybody else?

The Dome is much, much better suited for 2001 in 70mm than The Egyptian. It looked absolutely superb there back in 1996.

Great, great news.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The 70MM LOA is also headed to the Senator here in Baltimore. It's a two-week engagement starting Sept. 20. Although I found it terribly boring and fell asleep when I tried to watch it at home, I think I might give it another chance, since I've heard that the current DVD, and to some degree, any home viewing format, can't really present the movie as it was meant to be seen.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I am absolutely interested in the Lawrence and 2001 September showings, Jack (I knew the 2001 announcement would grab you!). I've been waiting for this for a long time. It should be an awesome experience. Let's set up a Saturday or Sunday. The projectionist said the Lawrence showing starts Sep. 20. I don't know yet when 2001 shows.
By the way, I was very pleased to see how much care is taken with the theaters at the Cinerama complex (we got to see the projection booths for the new theaters there as well). The projectionist was cleaning the rollers and the lenses while we were there (it was obvious that he wasn't just a candy vendor threading film as a side job). Each projector even has a log of noted problems (for example, one projector had in its log that a hair had been removed from the gate). This is an example of why an LA moviegoing experience can be so good.
One more thing about the Cinerama Dome: The parking situation is much much better than it used to be. The first three hours are free with validation. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Conrats on the 3,000th post, Peter! (I still think your 1,000th-post message was one of the best I ever read--did you save it?) And thanks for the link.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Damn! I'm going to be making lots of LA trips to see movies in the next few months. Last week, the Andy Warhol's Frankenstein/Parasite in 3-D double feature, the upcoming Sleeping Beauty at the El Capitan, Lawrence of Arabia, This is Cinerama (already have tix), and now, 2001 (I saw this at the Dome in 77). Now, if only Patton could get a full schedule of performances!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Is there any site that lists theaters showing it? I'm EXTREMELY concerned that Philly will be screwed on Sir David Lean's masterpiece yet again. There are 2 theaters that have 70mm capability here. 1 is an IMAX and 1 is an arthouse that does not have LOA listed.

I don't want to drive 3 hours to see it if I don't have to

Jerry Hostler

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
The theaters are listed here:
Link Removed
Go to "2002 Film Release Schedule", then scroll down to September 20 and 27 for theaters.
Jerry

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
If LOA most likely won't make it to the Coolidge in Boston (I know it's not listed, but they often get such things, but at a later date) I might make the 4hr drive to the Ziegfield.
LOA did play here a few years ago, and 2001 played sometime in the last year. I love 2001, but LOA is just something else, in my book... :) :) :)
Ahhh.. No NYC trip for me. Lawrence will be at the Coolidge in early November. Boston members, rejoice!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Its unfortunate that Philly, where I saw many of the classic large format roadshows for the first time is now B city.

Pity.

After spending some time at the Ziegfeld, I plan to move a bit south to one of my favorite eastcoast theatres.

The Senator in Baltimore -- an A city.

Head south Jeff. I'll see you there.

RAH

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Coolness! My wife and I would certainly be interested in going to see either 2001 or LOA with a group of SoCal HTFers.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
After spending some time at the Ziegfeld, I plan to move a bit south to one of my favorite eastcoast theatres.
The Senator in Baltimore--an A city.
Wow, my life is affirmed. The man who restored Vertigo, LOA and countless others called my hometown an A city and complimented my favorite theater.:D
I know it sounds sarcastic, but honestly, I wrote this post without an ounce of sarcasm in mind.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris, if that's an invitation to go see the film with you, I'm there in less than a heartbeat ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks