What's new

7.1 surround. Please help with surround setup (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Okay. I know this is one of the most debated topics out there. But I'll be buying a new receiver real soon that supports 7.1ch surround and so I'm looking to add some speakers. Now on to the question.

Rear sides: dipoles? (this is the concensus right?)

Rear centers: ????? THX now recommends direct radiating speakers. Is that the way to go or should I have dipoles all around. And 2 rear centers are the way to go right?

Jimmy P

Stunt Coordinator
The concept of 7.1 includes the use of Front Effects speakers, such as found in top level Yamaha receivers. The Front Effects are to the side of the front left and right speakers. These front effects are derived from the other channels, so they are not discrete. However, 7.1 as a discrete channel concept would have the front left/center/right speakers, left and right side speakers, and rear left and right speakers. Since discrete digital channels have full range audio, ideally you should have full range speakers for all the channels. But, most of us do not have dedicated A/V rooms where we can put lots and lots of speakers any old place we want. Side speakers might interfere with a doorway for example. If your couch is at the rear of the room, it could be difficult to put two large speakers back there. You can use wall mounted speakers for sides and rear, and this is probably what many of us will have to do. But, wall mounted speakers are limited in the bass response, rather than being full range. Whether you use dipoles/bipoles or direct radiating is more of a choice based on the kind of sound you prefer. Direct radiating will give you a precise localization of the sound, and dipole/bipoles will be more diffuse. As we increase the number of speakers, it will be more and more important to make sure they all are similar in brand and models. Alternatively, just be careful to select speakers that are neutral in tonality. Then you can mix and match if you like.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Well I believe dipole surround sides are best. But the rear centers seem to be a controversial one and the my main question in this thread.

carl-s

Grip
Howard,

You mention that you will be getting a 7.1 processor, and with that in mind that is what it should be. I would guess that the speakers hookup should be as follow:

front left, front center,front right, left surround,right surround, left rear, right rear, sub out.

As for a rear center channel, then that would be another channel thus implying a 8.1 processing. A good processor can handle the steering and properly placed speakers will create the illusion.

Carl

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Well I'm looking at getting either the Denon 4802 or the Elite 47tx. I do want to add rear centers. So with that in mind I was wondering whether to get dipoles for my rear centers or monopoles. I will have dipoles for the side surrounds.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I believe there is confusion over semantics here.

6.1 involves the addition of a single back (therefore center) surround speaker. 7.1 uses two rear back channels along with the typical left and right surround.

As far as the dipole question goes I believe this depends on your room's configuration. I have to use...or found it best to use dipole speakers as my couch is up against the rear wall of my room. I am not using the two extra surround speakers as there is no room. When I do I will be in a new house and will have to think my surround configuration. My ideal configuration would be to use dipole surrounds for left/right surround speakers and direct radiators for my back surrounds. We'll see how this works.

Thanks,

Jeff

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Okay so here's one vote for having direct radiating rear centers.
Jeffrey. Thanks for clearing that up about the 7.1. Carl was just trying to confuse me. :)
I would like to add two rear centers as I am led to believe that it will definately further the surround experience of watching movies. Of course I can just save my money for now.

Jimmy P

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Lucas Film states the side surrounds as well as the rear centers should be diploes for optimum results. Lucas Film,just has you have stated in your post has added a caveat or adjustment of their specs to allow use of direct radiating speakers to allow for customer preference.

But it is your system,and it doesnt matter how many votes

or opinions you get.The only thing thats important is what

sounds good to you.Happy listening.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Jimmy, actually they sort of leave it open now. IOW, it's now your choice. Here's what they say (as of today): "For optimum results, THX recommends use of two THX Ultra certified dipole speakers for the back surrounds. However, allowing for customer preference, a pair of direct radiating speakers can also be used for the back surrounds under a new THX specification."
Lucasfilm THX

chaz fifer

Agent
Right now,I am using dipole side surrounds,and bipole rear surrounds with my denon 4802.this gives me the best of both worlds.my surrounds are switchable between dipole/bipole.
hope this helps

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Ah... been reading and reading but still can't figure out whether I should get dipoles or monopoles for the rear centers.

PeteG

Agent
Howard- I've been very happy with two direct rear center
speakers. But I haven't tryed dipole speakers yet.
Jeffrey- Even tho' my couch is against the back wall.
I'm using pinnacle surrounds that mount in the corner of the wall & ceiling and it's been working out great.
http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/prodfrm.htm

StephenL

Second Unit
If you want multichannel audio capability (SACD, DVD-Audio) consider dipoles for side surrounds, direct radiators for back surrounds and a receiver that allows you to use the back surrounds for multichannel audio. You can use a single bipole speaker if you won't be using the back surround speakers for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks