What's new

7.1 rears - two side by side or other? (1 Viewer)

John Royster

Screenwriter
I'm getting ready to install some rear speakers for a back channel and I'm not sure of the recommended location. I've seen two speakers side by side and also two speakers separated by 6-8 feet.
My HT room is 15x16 and the couch is about 2/3 the length. So there is about 3-4 feet behind your head. I was thinking about mounting them the same width as the couch, about six feet apart, 2 feet above head level.
Surrounds are directly left and right of couch about 3-4 feet above head level. The rear speakers in question are inwall monopole with one 1" tweeter and 1 6.5 mid.
Thanks for the advice. Cable needs aren't a concern, ran them before I finished basemet. I'd prefer to tear up the drywall only once.
;)
-edit- sp

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like what you are planning is fine, I have mine about 3 feet apart as my wall space wont allow any further. The two rear surrounds are supposed to fill in the back gap left by a 5.1 system so spreading your speakers out will give you more fill.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Thanks Jeff.

What I'm worried about is the speakers maybe being too close to the listener. Placing the rears at the edges of the couch, maybe slightly in, would put the a single rear speaker behind each listener's head. Tuff choice really.

But is the height recommended? Don't want them at ear level right, slightly above?

I come from a strict 2CH world, if this multi speaker stuff is as particular as I am with stereo...then placement is of extreme importance to me. Being inwalls I can't just more them around.

Anthony June

Agent
John,

Keep them spaced apart as you had mentioned but look at moving them up, do not go over 5 1/2 -6 ft. keep in mind you want to hear them not be distracted by them.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Don't forget to re-calibrate and setup the delay for the speakers once you've got them installed. It will make a big difference in the imaging.

Doug_NHT

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 7.1 system and I used NHT vs2.4 for the ctr, sr, and rear sr. I have my rears up on an overhang about 10' up and 6' apart. I know THX UltraII specifies that the rears be right next to one another but I prefer to have some seperation as these are fairly big surrounds speakers.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks