What's new

53UWX10B or the KP-57HW40 (1 Viewer)

Niranjan

Auditioning
Which to get the 53UWX10B or the KP-57HW40???

I want to know ur guys thoughts on which is a better tv and any experiences youve had with either.

thanx

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Niranjan,

I bought a 53UWX10B last September. It had a definite green tinge in dark areas of the screen (a widely reported problem with the Hitachis), it's line doubler made fleshtones on ntsc stuff look like everyone was painted with flat latex paint. It's variable stretch mode for displaying 4/3 stuff on a 16/9 screen had rather severe funhouse mirror effect, it did not hold consistent black levels between different cable channels, and it's tuner took a full 2 or 3 seconds to change channels. I spent at least an hour a night tweaking it to try to get the green out and played with all kinds of cable amps and such to try to get a good ntsc picture.

I had purchased the Hitachi mainly due to my excellent experience with an analog Hitachi rptv I'd had for 2 years, so I really wanted to like it but just got more annoyed with it every day for the 2 weeks I had it.

After 2 weeks I gave up and exchanged it for a Sony KP57HW40, and have been very happy with it. The picture was good out of the box, and very good after a 20 minute session with AVIA.

No green tinge, good black levels, no flat latex painted faces, much better variable stretch mode, instant channel changes.

Overall the Hitachi just didn't seem like it had any quality control applied at the factory, while the Sony gave the impression of being a quality product right out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks