What's new
World Wide Stereo

50-55 inch 1080p Rear Projection - need help in deciding! (1 Viewer)

cctyu

Agent
Real Name
Charles Yu
Hello fellow forum members,
This is my first posting on the forum board, so thanks in advance for your inputs!
In my search for a rear projection 50-56 inch '1080p' HDTV, I was initially hoping that Sony might come out with a 50 inch unit of their SXRD-XBR2 line. Since I understand this smaller size will not be available in Canada in the near future ( corrct me if I am wrong), I was forced to choose from the following new products:
Sony KDS-55A2000
JVC HD56FH97
Mitsubishi WD-57831
Has any member seen ALL three ( same model, different screen size even) side by side to make a judgement on the picture quality? I have seen the Sony and was not impressed at all. The WEGA-HD engine of the XBRs was definitely much better. I also managed to see a 61 inch version of the JVC in a Toronto Future Shop. However the adjustment was a bit off, overemphasizing the green. The store was packed and no sales staff was available to help me to correct the colour, so an 'apple with apple' comparison with the Sony next to it was not possible. As for the Mitsubishi, I have read good things about it but am still looking for a store that has a floor display. Here in Toronto, I'm not sure whether there is an establishment that has ALL three brands on display. So help from fellow members are definitely welcome and needed. My current reference for picture quality is the Sony XBR model with the WEGA-HD engine. Unfortunately, the older XBR1 50 inch does not have 1080p input and the 60 inch XBR2 is too wide for my room.
Any help in my selection process would be greatly appreciated. Also, apart from the aforementioned three, any other comparable 1080p units I should consider? I have ommitted the Samsungs due to RELIABILITY concerns.
Thanks again,
cctyu

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Charles - my first pick would be the JVC HD56FH97. I find this set has a better picture than even the new Sony SXRD XBR2's. I see on sonystyle.ca that only the A2000 models are available in Canada in 55", which is unfortunate..

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i have the jvc 56fh97 and it's an amazing set at a good price. the ONE thing you have to be aware of is the "silkscreen effect" - when the screen image shows large white or light-soloured solid areas (like the ice at a hockey game, or a cloudless sky), you will see little sparkly things on the screen where you focus with your eye. it's mentioned often in the owner's forum at avsforum. when you sit back far enough away the effect is minimized. just something to look out for next time you're in the store. if you can live with it you will enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks