What's new

5 channel amplifier decision (1 Viewer)

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine is interested in upgrading to a multichannel amplifier. His system currently consists of a Sherwood Newcastle receiver (I believe 80watts x 5), Paradigm speakers and M&K sub. He has given me a list of amps that he is looking at, which is currently:
Marantz MM9000
Rotel RB985
NewCastle AM9080
HK Signature 2.1
Anthem MCA5
Acurus A125x5
He wouldn't mind buying any one of these as used/refurbished. Any suggestions or links to good prices on any of these would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Sankar

Second Unit
Check out the AT1505 also. This is one great amp, and the support is incredible. I saw one in the hardware for sale section (no .. its not mine :) )AT1505 for sale

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
If his budget is that of the price of these components, then the Parasound HCA-2205A is definitely out of his price range, as are the ATI 1505, Sherbourn 5/1500A and Rotel RMB-1095, all of which are what I consider a step up of the amps he has listed.

David, check out also the RMB-1075 and Outlaw 750, which I believe are also in his price range. Your list is in fact remarkably close to my original list of 5 channel amps, with the exception of the Newcastle AM9080, which I didn't consider. However, out of these amps, I've only compared the Rotel RB985 Mk2 and the original Anthem MCA5. I'd say that the Rotel sounds different from the Rotel. To me, this difference makes it better than the Rotel. It was brighter, more dynamic sound, while the Rotel was darker. The Rotel had more bass extension, but the Anthem had better bass definition and control, which may make it appear as having thinny bass.

Anyway, I eventually ended up with the Rotel RMB1095, which is quite a bit better than either amp.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
OK, Paradigm speakers..Marantz, sherwood or hk 2.1..HK 2.1 would be first choice if moneys not an isuue followed by the other two. The anthem is a great amp but your talking 950.00 and the acurus is nice but probably mates better with other types of speakers..Again just my opinion.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
If your friend does not mind refurbs a good place to check out is Ubid. I just picked up a 6 channel Parasound HCA-806 refurb for 260 bucks plus shipping (about 325 total after shipping).

Acurus, Adcom, Parasound, Newcastle and HK gear pops up on there quite often and there can be some deals to be had. It seems like they have bigger selections near the end of the model year with auctions consisting of more units allowing lower prices.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Justin, was that just one amp? or was it a bunch, have they been running those hca-806s at ubid ? because I didnt see them over there...thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks