What's new

5.1 out or digital out on dvd player (1 Viewer)

JohnnyW

Grip
Hello,
Please forgive me as I have been out of the loop for a few years.
When I bought my Pioneer DV37 dvd player way back when it was my first experince with digital out .
I used the optical out option.
I have since just purchased a Pioneer DV79i player and it has digital out as well as 5.1 out connections.
I am using my orginal Pioneer 49TX reciever.
Currently I have the new dvd player connected via the digital coax out.
And I assume that requires the reciever to decode the 5.1 signal from the dvd?
There is a noticeable increase in video quality over the DV37 player .
But the subwoofer amount or voulme has increased also, almost to much.
I am using 2 Paradigm Servo 15 subs.All my speakers are set to small.
Since I am far from having a good ear for sound quality I am looking for more experienced users opinon's on trying the 5.1 out on the DV79i player?
I use this system for movies 95% of the time and occasionaly play a stereo cd.
Thank You For This Forum
JohnnyW

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A different DVD player should make no difference in the sub levels related to the others. Using the 5.1 outs is not the solution. something about this all just doesn't add up. Anyway, if you are only using thhe new DVD player you should probably recalibrate the speaker levels. In fact, your question implies this was never done in thhe first place.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The 5.1 outputs on the dvd player, is meant more for dvd-a and sacd High Resolution, 5.1 surround music. You can listen to movies through it, but using those outputs, is using the dvd player's processor, instead of the receiver's. The receiver's is usually better, for movies. Using the 5.1 outputs, is the only way to play the high resolution tracks of dvd-a and sacd, which is awesome, in case you haven't tried them. (when using the 5.1 outputs, use the Multi-Channel mode, instead of dvd mode) The sacd of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, is just unbelievably incredible!

I agree with John. It sounds like you need to calibrate your speakers, including the subs.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks