What's new

5.1 jacks from Bluray to receiver hook-up question (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
To any and all out there who have used 5.1 jacks on Their dvd players to 5.1 jacks on Their receivers I'd like to hear Your opinions.I'm thinking about connecting My new Bluray player to My receiver using these jacks if they really offer some level of improvement over optical or coax connections for multichannel surround sound.I would appreciate any insight before I buy any new cables for hooking this up. Thanks to all in advance.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Troy - If you a digital connection from your Blu-Ray player, the DAC's on your receiver are used. If you are using the 5.1 analogue outputs, the DAC's on your Blu-Ray player are used. It's a matter of determining first which of the two has superior DAC's.

What model receiver and Blu-Ray player do you own?

Also I'm not certain why this is posted in the Apple forum ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your receiver does not have HDMI, then yes they will offer an improvement over optical or coaxial, as the newest formats (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD) are not fully compatible with current digital connections - they will play via SPDIF, but you will not be getting the "full" version, you will get a "core" version that is the backwards compatible version of them. Using the analog outs, the player will do the decoding and pass any format directly to the receiver.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Alon, I have the BDP-300 dvd player(Bluray)and the 701 Onkyo receiver.I have to apoligize for posting in the wrong threads section.I didn't even realize I did that.I'll pay more attention in the future.Thank You.John, how good a quality cable would I really need for the 5.1 hook-up jacks,In Your opinion?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You don't need anything special to be honest. www.bluejeanscable.com offers a 6 cable bundle for a decent prices (about $100 for 4ft, 6 cables). I have bought from them a number of times and I am impressed with them so far.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Thanks Guys, All the input was very helpful. It turns out My Bluray seems to work better with the Coax rather than optical or even 5.1 analog, Go figure. I do appreciate everyone, Alon ,John and Perry for the help. Sometimes this stuff sends Me up a wall.LOL.Thanks.

Hector X. Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I'm seeing this, too. Can anybody explain this to me? I keep hearing how LPCM and lossless sound is leaps and bounds better than lossy DTS and DD 5.1, but when i try the sound on the Ext Analog Inputs, it sounds much lower and muted. Am I doing something wrong?

I have the same BDP-S300 and a Denon AVR-5800 receiver. I select uncompressed on the movie menu as well.

I'm really aching to know and see if i'm really missing something here.

Hector

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks