What's new

400 watts X 7 in one box WOW!! (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
2,800 watts total from Sunfire. Do you think this is over kill? What are you guys thougths?

Here are the Cinema Seven Signature
specs......

Feature and Specs
400 watts rms continuous per channel, all channels driven into eight ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.5% T.H.D.
800 watts rms per channel into four ohms
1600 watts rms per channel into two ohms – time-limited basis
Two output options for the main left and right channels: current source for a warmer, more open tube sound or voltage source for all the tight response this awesome solid state amplifier can deliver
Intrinsic frequency response one Hz to 80 kHz
Signal present auto-on switch senses input signal on any channel and automatically powers up
12VDC trigger input with 1/8" mini jacks as well as plug-in screw-terminal strip
Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
High-quality five-way binding posts
Dimensions: 19" wide, 6.5" high, 15.75" deep
Five-year parts and labor warranty
Architectural model:
Standard 17" width allows installation in standard rack systems
17" wide, 5.9" high (including feet), 16.7" deep (to tips of connectors).

http://sunfire.com/cinemaseven_signature.htm

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
At 400 wts/ch x 7, it is a pretty light amplifier. The combined weight of my 2 channel and 3 channel Aragon amps is 143 lbs, the 2 channel alone weighs 73 lbs.:)

Two output options for the main left and right channels: current source for a warmer, more open tube sound or voltage source for all the tight response this awesome solid state amplifier can deliver
I'd like to hear what this feature sounds like. I own both Tube and SS amps so I am curious about their claim.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
wow now that's an amp...wonder how well it bench tests...that's a lot of power to try and pull from a 15A line.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to hear what this feature sounds like.
I have the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature (essentially the same amp as the one being discussed except it has 5 channels instead of 7), which has this feature. The "current source" outputs simply have a resistor inserted into them (thereby mimicking a characteristic of tube amps) which interacts with the speakers in such a way that it slightly modifies the frequency response.

The effect is slight at best, and IMO not worth the power wasted from putting extra resistance in the signal path. YMMV.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
wow now that's an amp...wonder how well it bench tests...that's a lot of power to try and pull from a 15A line
They tested it in the latest Home Theater magazine. They couldn't get a 7 channel test reading because it blew the breaker on their test stand! I don't remember offhand what the 2 channel numbers were but I remember they were very impressive.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You could play around with that by sticking something like a 4 ohm resistor in series with the speaker. It's faking the performace characteristics of a tube but then it really depends how one designs their tube amps. Some can be transparent like a decent SS design. OTOH, if you've got hormonally driven teenagers who like to crank it up behind your back, an inline fuse might make a bit more sense :)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
maybe i just havent looked at the specs for big amps like that, but doesnt the .5% THD limit they give in the specs a bit high?

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
energy can neither be created nor destroyed but only transformed from one form to another (was that Newton?) will need a 20A circuit!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well if that's what Carvers says you ought to have then get thee a 20 amp circuit. My son's got a 4 or 5000 watt Crown that's never tripped a 15.

As far as that level of distortion being on the high side, that's a question with no easy answer. The audibility of non-linear distortion is highly dependent upon the source material as well as the environment in which you're listening in. A general answer, that may or may not sit well, is that if the distortion is somewhere around 5% it's a pretty safe bet that you'll notice it with a pretty broad range of material. Somewhere around 1%, 0.8%, 0.5%, it becomes supremely difficult and you might have to resort to the dreaded DBT to accurately come to an answer. Go down another factor of 10 or more, then not a chance in hell.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'm a little wary of the 44lb weight rating of the 19" Sig amp. not to take anything away from Sunfire or anything, but my Classe CA-150 stereo amp weighs in almost 15lbs heavier. unless there's something truly groundbreaking about this design (or it's a misprint), i'm gonna remain skeptical.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Heatsinks are not very heavy at all, I make them for a living and even the large ones on my Aragon amps are lightweight, just a lot of thin fins.
The weight is in the massive toroidal transformer(S)that a lot of SS amps have which it seems, the Sunfire does'nt have. :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
What in the hell do you do with 2800 watts. Sell tickets for your movie theater?
Well some of us don't like dipping into our capacitors and like to run our amps in the middle of things. Besides, we're men and we like manly things and leave the dainty stuff to the fairer sex. We don't watch Oprah, we stick pins into voodoo dolls that look like the author of "Men are from Mars...", and we don't like to finesse an issue. Overwhelming force and all that.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Carver uses the tracking downconversion which he patented.It's essentially switching type amp "close" to what being used on many powered subs these day,in theory anyhow.
The typical Class A A/B types waste a lot of energy,hence why they need the big power supply and massive heatsink,if they wanna have outputs like these.
Previous Sunfire Signatures met their ratings very closely with all channels driven.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Lot's of different ways to make watts. Just think how light the digital amps are going to be.

StephenL

Second Unit
As I understand it, the Sunfire combines a switching power supply (providing high efficiency) with a linear amplifier (Class A for small signals and Class AB for large signals).
http://www.nortek.net/learning_cente...te_paper-1.htm

Sunfire does use a large toroidal transformer.
http://phpix.planetb.net/?mode=album...ater/equipment

A smaller version of the amp is used in the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. Sound & Vision magazine tested this receiver and its power output was very impressive.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

http://www.sunfire.com/cinemaseven_signature.htm

Levesque

Supporting Actor
we're men and we like manly things and leave the dainty stuff to the fairer sex. We don't watch Oprah, we stick pins into voodoo dolls that look like the author of "Men are from Mars...", and we don't like to finesse an issue. Overwhelming force and all that
Sorry to say this Chu. But I'm french, and each time I see your name I laugh... It means "I am gay" up here in Québec... Chu=I am gai=gay...

No insult intend here...but couldn't resist...

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Carver uses the tracking downconversion which he patented.It's essentially switching type amp "close" to what being used on many powered subs these day,in theory anyhow.
I thought Carver used a class H style circuit with multiple rails. This would give very high efficiency (=>smaller p/s and heatsinking => smaller size and lower weight) but also quite a lot of crossover distortion at all volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks