What's new
World Wide Stereo

40 ft subwoofer cable (1 Viewer)

728x90
For some reason it is not letting me post url's. Anyways you can do a search on the HSU Research forum and Sasha from HSU has some good recommendations on builing your own cables. I read on a post there where he recommended using 3 of their 20 ft cables using female to female adapters to connect them . So it seems it should not be a problem to run 40 ft of cable.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
What I have here now is RG-6 cables, and it's 16 AWG printed on the wire. I investigated the cable and it's just weird because, I am only seeing 1 strand of wire outside the white housing for the thicker wire but fully covered with foil. I'm sure that foil is a conductor. Is the outer wire really important for my requirement?

Thanks guys....

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I finished building the 40 ft cable using the 279-290 F-connector from RadioShack and it worked like a charm. ;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Cool. I would have used the cheaper nickel-plated adapters, but glad to see you got it working. There are better grades of RG-6 that have copper braided shielding in addition to the foil, but for this application what you have will work fine (as I’m sure you’ve already seen).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, you know what, I found out last night that the cable I built was producing a humming sound. :frowning: I was actually moving my SVS to the corner and noticed that hum. I connected back my old cable and there was none.

I don't know why. It could be multiple translations.

F-connector-2-RCA
F-connector-2-RCA

Looks like I'll just have to buy a branded cable.

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
my sub cabling is like this:

RCA from rcvr to wallplate (rca to F adapter)
probably 30-40 ft of rg6 inwall to the other plate with the same adapters.
RCA from wall to sub.

I get no hum at all. Re-check your connections and make sure they are all tight/secure. Maybe you didn't cut the shielding back or something.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Neil, if you're going to buy a branded cable, you might want to check out bluejeanscable. You'll find their banner at the top of the speakers&subwoofers forum page. There pricing is very nice too.

Matt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The connectors should not cause hum. It's a cable problem. I've used those F to RCA connectors in this type of installation before with no problem.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Like Justin said, re-check your terminations, especially since you made the cable yourself. More oft than not, the problem with coaxial cable is improperly terminated F connectors. If you don’t have the specialty tools required to properly install F connectors, you’d be better off buying an off-the-shelf pre-made cable.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I have a crimping tool which I bought at RadioShack.

John Garcia might be correct. It might be the cable. :frowning:

----- blue foil w/ single strand wire
--------+ /
| /
+--------+
| +----------
+--------+ |
| | |
------------+ | |
| | |
| | |
| | +-- copper
| |
| +-------- white insulator
|
|
+------------------- external black cover

Am I correct that the blue foil should touch the inner circle on the F-connector? Is the blue foil connection really needed for subwoofer connection?

I will recrimp it again tonight but I am going to use the weather proof F-connectors, :D

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry guys, I don't know if it's possible to attached a jpeg or gif image. There is no way for me now to attach a public URL. Here it is again....

+---------- black outside cover
| +----- white insulator
--+--+ |
+--+
| +----
+--+ |
------+ +-- center copper

----- blue foil inside
black cover but
outside white insulation

Pete_M3

Agent
bluejeanscable.com has your answer, 3 finished subwoofer cables to choose from, from $30 to $55 for 40 feet, and an isolation transformer if the cable doesn't get rid of the hum.

I've never built a cable, so I can't help you there.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys, I did some experiment on different RG-6 cables available in my house. IIRC, I tested 6 different cable brands(white and black). I still used the same 279-290 F-connector to RCA from RadioShack.

What I found out was that, an RG-6 cable that uses foil instead of braided wire causes humming sound. The other 3 cables that employ braided wire didn't produce any hum at all. Oh by the way, for the RG-6 that uses foil technology, you can here the hum at most in 3 ft. I also tested the cable I bought at Bestbuy 5 months back. It is an Acoustic Research 15ft subwoofer cable. There is also a hum but very unnoticeable. I had to place my ear near the bottom part of my 20-39PCi subwoofer. But again, using coax RG-6 that uses braided wire, even if I placed my ear very close to the foot of my subwoofer, there was none.

So I guess, this can serve as a warning for some people who wants to build their own cable.

Bottomline, it might be cheaper going with the bluejeans route. But also, I haven't check an RG-6 braided wire price yet.

Just my 2cents...

Neil

Scott*Ellis

Auditioning
Hey... thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum. I have never posted but I always find what I need just by reading.

This post is just what I needed, I am about to install my first Sub and I am trying to get set up with cable etc. I have pre-run (during construction) some nice RG6 with braided shielding, my question now is what kind of connectors do I need and where should I get them? In the end I just need RCA connections I guess but where do I get them to go on RG6 and what tools do I need.

thanks again.
Scott

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
An easy no-tools solution is to use some twist-on F-connectors. They’re pricey compared to the kind you crimp on, and seem to get no respect, but I’ve had good luck with them. Then you can use some F-to-RCA adapters to connect to the audio gear.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks