What's new

4 more Universal "backlot" titles on July 7, 2009 (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I hope this means that October will bring ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and THE UNIVITED along with a few other Paramount/Universal horror/mysteries. I guess we will know in July.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I like the artwork just fine. Very evocative of the original poster artwork. I can see how someone with a "contemporary" sensiblity might be underwhelmed however. But very much in keeping with their respective periods.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Loved the artwork, much better than those of the Universal Classics series.

For future waves, I hope Universal releases some of the following titles:

To Each His Own
Bluebeard 8th Wife
Remember the Night
The Uninvited
100 Men and a Girl
Lady in the Dark
The Gilded Lily
The Glass Key
Christmas Holiday (in fact, anything starring D. Durbin)
A Foreing Affair
Kitty
Desire
Angel
North West Mounted Police
Ministry of Fear
The Cat and the Canary
Phantom Lady
You and Me
I Walk Alone
Desert Fury

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I like the cover art. I will pick up the 3 i don't have. I still hope they get up off of The Uninvited and some of the Ladd films they are sitting on.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Oh, ALI BABA AND FORTY THIEVES (1944) is the best of the lot by far!

I sincerely hope that it is a newly fully restored and digitally remastered edition from the 35mm print negative source elements with the inclusion of the original theatrical trailer.

Now how about the other outstanding technicolour Jon Hall-Maria Montez cinema screen wonders WHITE SAVAGE (1943), COBRA WOMAN (1944), GYPSY WILDCAT (1944) and SUDAN (1945)?

It is certainly always nice to have something to look forward to. Thank you Universal Studios Home Entertainment and Thomas the author of this discussion thread.

Jeff T.

Aki K

Agent
It's comforting to know, while waiting for the Warner Archive to open to us Europeans, that some films just getting their DVD release in the States, have already been issued here.

Lonely Are the Brave is one such film (a fine French release), while all the films on the upcoming Jack Lemmon box have been (or will shortly be) released as single discs in Spain...

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Hello everybody, first post here.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Aki K, does that French release of Lonely Are The Brave have forced subs on the English track?
There's a number of titles in that line that interested me but I held off buying since I think I heard somewhere about forced subs.

Aki K

Agent

Well, yes, it does...living in a country where a lot of people won't buy dvds unless they have subtitles, I didn't even notice them as I watched that initially...but yes, they were forced :-(

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Thanks for that. Universal and Warner DVDs from France usually have removable subs, but I thought there was an issue with those Sony(?) ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks