What's new

4 more Universal "backlot" titles on July 7, 2009 (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves (1944), Lonely Are The Brave (1962), Trail Of The Lonesome Pine (1936) and Beau Geste (1939) (previously released on the Gary Cooper set).

Charles H

Screenwriter
Happy to see TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE--particularly since I was about to pull the switch and order it from amazon.uk, but I don't know why Universal wants to revisit BEAU GESTE, particularly since SOULS AT SEA, CITY STREETS, DESIRE, BLUEBEARD'S EIGHTH WIFE, NORTHWEST MOUNTED POLICE, and THE STORY OF DR. WASSELL have yet to make their way to DVD.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Terrific news!!!

Another fan of Trail of the Lonesome Pine here!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Lonely Are the Brave is long overdue and most welcome. A contemporary western that has a lot in common with Hud and Junior Bonner. Western buffs have been screaming for it for a decade. Some people think it's Kirk Douglas's best film.

What prompted this sudden generosity from Universal?

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

Maybe pre-orders for the first backlot (pre-code) series are going really well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since I already have "Beau Geste", I'll add these other three titles to my collection. I've been waiting on "Lonely are the Brave" for years and it's too bad such a fine film had to wait so long before it gets a DVD release. I can finallly retire my non-anamorphic DVD-R of it from a recording off the dish.

Crawdaddy

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'll get 'em all(except BEAU GESTE, which I already have), but I'm especially tickled about ALI BABA. I love the Jon Hall/Maria Montez films, and this one is the best IMHO. And, if the transfer is done right, the Technicolor should look stunning.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Is it too much to hope that the 1926 silent version of Beau Geste would be included as an extra? (Ronald Coleman, William Powell and Neil Hamilton!) Of course I am not sure who actually owns the rights to the film. It could be Paramount or Universal.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I was thinking the same thing, Steven.

After all, this being the 70th anniversary of Beau Geste's release, it would be splendid if they released a special edition containing both the silent and sound versions ala Ten Commandments (Paramount) or Ben-Hur (WHV).

However since this is Universal, and if Cleopatra is any indication, it would appear that we might only expect some documentaries.

Danny Burk

Second Unit

Unfortunately....yes, it's too much to hope. Paramount owns it. I've heard that there is an underlying rights problem but don't know more. It would be great if Criterion could get it straightened out and release it as they're doing with other selected Paramount films. It's really a shame since it's such a good film; personally I prefer it to the 1939 version.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
have you a definite indication which Paramount films Criterion is considering / working on?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Great news about Lonely Are the Brave!!!

I can now retire my laserdisc.

Coopsgirl_31

Agent
Real Name
Angie
I just preordered the precode collection yesterday and this is more great news! With their holdings of the Paramount catalog from ’29-’49, Universal has more films I want than any other studio.

I am a little disappointed though that instead of releasing a Cooper film new to dvd, they are just separately reissuing Beau Geste. If it turns out to have any interesting bonus features then I will double dip on that one. I hope this does bode well for future releases of the many wonderful Paramount stars from their catalog, not to mention the great Universal films as well.

FYI about Lonely are the Brave; Kirk Douglas wanted Cooper to play the lead but he was too sick with cancer at the time and shortly passed away. Kirk, who was a big fan, wrote a long and very touching letter to Gary about how he was going to play the part and how he would try to do it like Coop would. It is a good film and I’m glad it’s finally getting a proper release.

Danny Burk

Second Unit

THE WEDDING MARCH has been confirmed by Criterion per posts on criterionforum.org. Same for von Sternberg silents, but exactly which titles are coming hasn't been confirmed. Hopefully there will be a set of all 3 extant titles (DOCKS OF NY, UNDERWORLD, LAST COMMAND), which would make much sense.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Well, I was hoping for a nice set of all the technicolo Montez-Hall films, but I guess that ain't going to happen.

I also believe that the 1939 BEAU GESTE is in a shorter, reissue length. Perhaps in Europe or somewhere, they can find the missing footage and put it back in. That should allow me to double dip without any reservations.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Lonely Are The Brave will be a purchase

Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves and Trail Of The Lonesome Pine rentals

and while Beau Geste is a favorite of mine it'll have to be a huge upgrade as I have a rule against double dipping for standard DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks